1999-2003 protege auto trans average lifespan

TylerW

:
1999 Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys:

I was curious how long the average life seems to be on these transmissions...

My brother brother and I both have '99 Protege's. His is a DX with about 140,000 and mine is an ES with 207,000.

My car is doing fine and knock on wood I've not had any issues with the transmission. It seems to shift a little less crisply than my brother's car, but I attribute that to mileage.

The only thing I have noticed that sort of concerns me is that my trans makes a squeak or chirp on the 2-3 shift, both up and down, and does it every time. It's been doing it for 30,000 miles.

Thanks for any input!

Sorry I can't be any help with your squeak problem...

... But my 2002 Protege LX auto transmission has lasted 365K miles so far. Regular BG Flushes w/ Mercon 5 every 40-60K miles. Never dropped the pan. I think it needs new seals now as trans fluid started showing up along the trans to engine joint.

The engine lasted about the same and is now under repair... new head... and now working on the bottom end... hopefully I'll get lucky and only need a set of rings.

on my p5 the trans started slipping after about 170k of in town driving before i traded it in. It didnt slip real bad but was starting to.

Back