1990 Miata with a freezing shifter.

We put new synthetic oil in the shifter turret yesterday. The car shifts a lot smoother, but it's frozen stiff again this morning. There was only a little oil that we had to remove, and just a few drops of water there, too.

I don't know what else it could be, so I guess he either won't drive it until it's warm again or will have to let it warm up and thaw out for 30 minutes every morning!

I'll let you know if we figure anything else out.

Chris

By the way, Keith, is there a date set for the FM open house in August? We'll have to give our wives plenty of advance notice! Unless they drive the Protege5 down I guess; then we'll all come.

Keith@FP said:
Chris - you're not that far from us. See if you can talk your father into coming out to Grand Junction for the Flyin' Miata Open House in August. :)

Keith

Open House, eh? I'll be there. Let me know the date please.

Thank you.

It's always the third weekend in August. Aug 20-22 2004.

As for the freezing - there's not supposed to be anything in the transmission that will freeze! Try a new bunch of transmission fluid, preferably something good. Who knows what's in there - it might be something like 120w instead of the 75-90 Mazda wants.

If there's not water in with whatever the monkeys put in the tranny then I'd look at the clutch hydraulics next - can he start the car when the tranny is frozen?

Keith

Last edited:
Yes, the car starts fine. If we warm it up for 30 minutes or so, the tranny thaws out and we can shift it. But until it's thawed out, it won't move at all.

We'll be seeing you in August, Keith, so hopefully by then we'll have it all figured out! It's really driving us a bit loopy that we can't figure it out.

Chris

Back