1990 Miata Suspension

Blackrose

:
2007 Subaru Legacy GT 2006 Evo IX
Ok all you miata experts here we go. My Girls Maiata's suspension is in bad shape. Now from what i can tell all the parts are Original makeing them quite old. When you hit a bump (and it does not have to be a big bump) the suspension makes a loud thud. I brought it to a shop for a quote and they told me 3K and the whole suspension needs to be redone. I dont trust most shops so i am here to get a second opinion. I have heard that typically it is just the Struts that need to be replaced. What is the best route to fix this. Tell me what i need to look at to see what needs to be replaced. Any help great. And if anyone is planing on flaming me for not searching, well i did and turned up nothing. I also work two jobs and dont have alot of time. So please save the lectures for someone else and just drop info about the car. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Mike
MSP #1112

Put it up on jack stands and crawl underneath and try shaking things. That'll help you find the thud. To test the shocks, do the old bounce test. Try to bounce the car a few times and then let go. It shouldn't bounce by itself more than like half a bounce. For 3K, I'd ask for an itemized estimate.

Kinda hard to tell with a vague description like that. Like Theo said, safely put it up on stands, and shake things. Anythinf loose/broken will be obvious. If everything looks tight, ie: bushings not missing, then it's probably shocks/ or shock mounts.

Miatas do not have struts. They have shocks. Older Miatas are known for needing new shocks after 25k-30k miles depending on your driving. There are many options available at reasonable prices from vendors in the marketplace section on www.miata.net. My advice would be to go here http://www.miata.net/products/chassis/
and read the reviews.

Then go here
http://www.miata.net/marketplace.html
to shop and order a set. I like GoMiata for aftermarket, Trussville Mazda for OEM. Then find a locally owned shop that will install them for you, or a local Miata club that would install them for you just because they like to get together and do that sort of thing (Tech Day).

If you need springs, same process. I like Eibach for the Miata. Good luck.

Nope, dont go to GoMiata, they just resale stuff. Buy from the people that Mazda contracts out to do their show cars and magazines invite to do moddified tuner cars... thats Flyn Miata.

Their suspension set up for 1k is all you will need unless you want coilovers

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4537&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-16510 1990-93

The upper shock mounts are sweeeet as they give you plenty of travel in the rear even though its been lowered (Without them you bottom out on hard hits when the Miata is lowered). The adjustable KYB AGXs allow you to stiffen or soften the ride. (The ride will never be soft but you get the idea). The sway bars are a must and they all go great together as a package.

By the way Racing Beat also does Mazda projects too and their stuff is very good as well. Their suspension on a M1 held Road and Tracks fastest slalom time for a while, beating out Ferraris, Porsches, ect...

I just send people to these places cause they deserve the business more so then just resellers, they develop and help the Miata aftermarket more so then Eibach/GoMiata have done for the Miata community anyday... now I will get off the soap box :)

Here is the pic of my car with everything on:

full.jpg

Last edited:
before all the talk of upgrades, need to find out what's wrong first... If you have bad bushings, replacing the shocks will not fix it.

MiaTurbo said:
before all the talk of upgrades, need to find out what's wrong first... If you have bad bushings, replacing the shocks will not fix it.

Whats wrong is that he/she has the stock suspension :)

MiaTurbo said:

Yes i understand that i will be jacking the car up (hopefuly sunday) to see what is going on under there. But all the info is great keep it comming if anyone is missing anything.

PS im sure the bushings could use to be replaced anyway and i am thinking about just redoing the whole suspension anyway.

checking in if you had an update - $3K sounds like mad money for a suspension overhaul. For that much cash - I'd have coilovers with room to spare!! On my old 1990 I replaced the original shocks and springs for ~ $500 (with adjustable shocks) Took me an afternoon.

miatafied said:
checking in if you had an update - $3K sounds like mad money for a suspension overhaul. For that much cash - I'd have coilovers with room to spare!! On my old 1990 I replaced the original shocks and springs for ~ $500 (with adjustable shocks) Took me an afternoon.

Actually i did climb under there and have a look. The suspension looks good for the most part. But i still think im going to ry to replace as much as posible because im going to have it all apart. All the bushings look quite worn.

Pics

Attachments

• DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC00015.JPG
    DSC00015.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC00017.JPG