#1888 went BOOM

tricky

Well, this spring I sold the speed to a kid down the street, he took damn good care of it, cleaned it up a bit, did some minor cosmetic mods to it and made it look pretty good. He sends me txt's once in a while and I see him around town now and again. Last week he txt'd, "shot rod through block". I'm pretty sure he was running the Unichip on high boost and I'm guessing in the cold weather it had to have spiked beyond 13psi. I feel bad for him but I guess I have no idea how hard he may have pushed the motor. I tried to tell him to re-build it and go forged but I don't think he has the money.

I had the car from 4 miles on the OD back in "03 until 52k when I sold it this past spring, sad to see another one go down. I didn't run it on high boost very often in fear of exactly this so I guess I lucked out. I hope he gets it back on the street at least, even with just a replacement motor. The car looked good.

the spped really is a ticking time bomb, when I had it I think I only ran the high boost maybe 5 times tops, I was wicked fun but maybe because the fear of exploding the motor was part of it. :)

I moved onto an SRT-4 and holy crap I can honestly say I like it more than the speed. Not to Dis the speed at all, it was a great car for me. I learned a ton about forced induction, I consider the speed my baby and I guess I have grown up since the early days. I remember installing a boost gauge for the first time and how scared I was to cut a vac line, lol

I moved onto an SRT-4 and holy crap I can honestly say I like it more than the speed

(getout)

:p
2rub7eoeem.jpg

lol, I knew I'd get crap for saying that. sorry guys, I really did love the speed but I was so disappointed in the POS motor that can't support any amount of boost without blowing up, that was it's only short comming, everything else about it was awesome

I love this community, I've been here for 7yrs and I'll probably lurk around for ever. I met some really good friend through this site. I do miss the old days/members....

Turbo XS does not make enough knocklights to support the FS following! Should have been standard equipment through mazda :)

no doubt, I thought of getting the JS safeguard and meth but just didn't want to throw more $ into it and it still could blow up at any minute

Last edited:
Im running stock boost until I have a block to build with the forged crap I just bought, 6.5psi ftmfw

Back