17X7 5-114.3 42 with 205/45/17 ?

JasonTK

I don't know anything about offsets and I'm wondering if this combination will work.

I am looking at some wheels with a 42 offset and I have tires that I want to use that are 205/45/17. Is this going to work?

What would cause the rubbing though? I already have 205/45/17 tires because that is stock for the MP3 so I don't understand why it would rub.

I just really don't know a thing when it comes to offset so talk to me like I'm dumb.

Jason it is due to the offset of the rims the stock Racing Harts are a +55 you are going with +42 they will rub a lil if you have peeps in the back for sure I rub a lil on the right when My bud was in the passanger seat.

But I have 215-45-17's +42 just be aware of who you put in the back.

the p5 requires a 42mm offset on a 17X7 with a 205/40. on the sedan models, you can drop then 2-3mm so a 42mm offset with a 205/45 will work fine

can someone explain off sets to me? The lower the number the more the wheels sticks out? The more off center it is outwards? I'm confused.....

A zero offset rim would have the mating surface of the rim to the brake face at dead center. A +10 offset would mean the wheel's mating surface would be 10mm closer to the outside of the wheel, the part you see. A -10 offset would mean the wheel's mating surface would be 10mm closer to the inside of the wheel, which is the side you can't see.

Make any sense? =)

flat_black said:
A zero offset rim would have the mating surface of the rim to the brake face at dead center. A +10 offset would mean the wheel's mating surface would be 10mm closer to the outside of the wheel, the part you see. A -10 offset would mean the wheel's mating surface would be 10mm closer to the inside of the wheel, which is the side you can't see.

Make any sense? =)

Kinda of...am actually....NO..........I must be an idiot....

flat_black said:
No big deal. =) I'll draw you up an illustration: Gimme one sec...

Kewl...I appreciate it......planning on getting some wheels soon......I currently have spacers on my car as well..... probaly gonna have to take them off when I get new wheels...

Here it is... As mentioned on the pic, the black dots are the lugnuts, and each of the squares represents a type of wheel. The line in the middle is where the wheel meets the surface of the brake hubs. =) Hope it makes more sense with this!

Attachments

• offset-explaination.gif
    offset-explaination.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 122
Back