15 Inch Rim and Tires for Protege 5

Hello, I have a non lowered stock Protege 5. Unfortunately I drive up to tahoe alot and want to be able to put on bigger tires to lessen the bumpiness of the ride. I find going up 80 is way to noisy and harsh. I was thinking of getting a 15 inch wheel which should allow me to fit a tire with a taller sidewall. I know this is ugly and is the opposite of performance, however I prefer a quiet cushier ride. Anyone know which 15inch rim size I need 15x6.5 or 15x7. and what is the best tire size to fit on it, giving me enuff space in the wheel well for chains etc? I also do not want any rubbing etc. I also will use it year around so I do not want snow tires. Thanks guys for your help.

okay then, mazda specs (on my tyre placard) are...
14x5.5 fit with 185/65/R14
or
15x6.0 fit with 195/55/R15

because these are stock specifications, the fitment of chains shouldn't be a hassle

if you really prefer a cushier ride, set the tyre pressures at 28psi, and drive slower... check tyre wear regularly

other options for cushy ride are have your valving increased on your shocks (means shocks will be cushy) also fit tyres which are designed for comfort over performance.....

but thats only if you want to... go hard!!!

Thanks! After 2 hours of tweaking with the tire calc (Too Much Coffee) and determing the most readily available tire sizes (I hate our 195/50/16) I came to this conclusion

15x6.5 5x114.3 40mm offset?
195/55/15

Reason:

15x6.5 Most Popular Width

195/55/15 is the Acura Integra Tire Size so Readily available

I could go 205/55/15 to have a Wider and Slightly Larger tire but I would compromise some clearance for chains.

Does this sound about right? Is offset much of an issue here? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
well what you've just said is exactly what i'm running!!1 unless you lower the car the clearance shouldn't be a big issue!!!

go the 205/55R15... you'll never stop thanking yourself for it in the rain and the dry (makes for track like handling!!), but you would want skinnier tyres if your in constant mud snow or slush....

barely snows here so not a really big drama for me!!!

this is true... 50 series in this width are a litte harder to find here, but good luck on getting them!! (50 series is what would be a better size for that whole speedometer thing.... but i don't use mine)

205/50/15 is fine for the track but really it is about an inch smaller than stock. So 205/55/15 is the proper selection.

15x6.5 wide rims witdh a +40 mm offset will be so much easier to find than 15x7.0 +45 mm offset. and for street use with a 205 tire will be nice.

Back