12V Constant Power Source?

celdridge

:
2003.5 MSP
Everyone,

Please dont tell me to search ... i have just looked through about 100 pages of forum now and i cant find the answer. I found 1 post that had it, but the pics are gone. I need to know where a 12v power source is that remains contstantly on from when you turn ignition to the first notch and all the way through cranking. Pictures would be greatly helpful.

Thanks in advance.

...or you could use the red wire in the stereo harness. It's the only red wire in there. I just used that to hook up my Profec B. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Stormtrooper77 said:
...or you could use the red wire in the stereo harness. It's the only red wire in there. I just used that to hook up my Profec B. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Ill check it out ... although does it draw power constantly to keep the radio memory alive. I dont want an active power source when the key is not in the ignition.

celdridge said:
Ill check it out ... although does it draw power constantly to keep the radio memory alive. I dont want an active power source when the key is not in the ignition.
No, I don't think so. I know that when I turn off my car my Greddy unit is off. Plus, if it did draw constant power, I would wake up to a dead car every morning.

The red in the stereo harness is switched 12V and yellow is constant 12V

You want a switched source, not constant 12V

Use a fuse tape and do the fuse panel on the drivers sides floor where you would place your left foot if you were driving. I would take some pictures of mine because its all apart right now but I dont have a camera.

Matt

If you have the cover over the steering colum off you'll see a group of wires going to the ignition. Follow that cluster of wires from the key till it goes down towards the dash on the drivers side of the steering colum. These wires go into a connector. For some reason Mazda changes the colors of the wires when they come out of the connector! After the connector it is the red-black wire. This is very easy to get at and work with. This is where my Boost Science dual stage set-up is wired to.

12v line from the cigarette lighter is also only on when the car is on. But it's sorta a pain in the ass to splice wires that are behind the dash. I'm using it to turn on my amp because I don't have a head unit.

lgagno1 said:
12v line from the cigarette lighter is also only on when the car is on. But it's sorta a pain in the ass to splice wires that are behind the dash. I'm using it to turn on my amp because I don't have a head unit.

I need a connection that stays on 12V while the car is cranking.. the cig lighter cuts out while cranking. Same thing with the red stereo wire.

MazdaSpeed0020 said:
Use a fuse tape and do the fuse panel on the drivers sides floor where you would place your left foot if you were driving. I would take some pictures of mine because its all apart right now but I dont have a camera.

Matt

Works great ... thnx ... ill post pics soon so everyone can see which fuse to use.

how about those pics ? i need a 12v source to plug in my wbO2 sensor and i dont wana use my cig lighter all the time (the sensor has to be connected all the time)

i looked at the pinout of the ECU and there's no constant 12v source so the fuse panel is my next option. anybody can explain how i connect my wires to a fuse ?

i used the wire from the foglight relay, it's like red/blue. i only needec a little current

thats what i ended up doing =)

i was sitting in my car .. .looking around ... and i remembered about the 12v wire on the alarm module that we have to cut to arm the alarm while the car is running. So i tapped into that one

Metal MP5 said:
thats what i ended up doing =)

i was sitting in my car .. .looking around ... and i remembered about the 12v wire on the alarm module that we have to cut to arm the alarm while the car is running. So i tapped into that one
Does that source remain constant even if you are like me and do not arm your alarm since it has gone bonkers, and will go off if a bird sighs in the next hemisphere...lol. Just wondering, cause I am currently having issues with my boost gauge due to no constant, and am hoping that this will be the wire I need....see link in sig to reply. or here....whereever

Works great ... thnx ... ill post pics soon so everyone can see which fuse to use.

Hey could you post that pic? I'm planning to install a fake LED car alarm (basically only the red blinking light), and I need to connect it to a constant 12v power source, I don't know much about electrical stuff so anything helps, thanks

Back