12000k HID

HIDz

Hi Guys nd Gals,

I want to know where i can get a set of HID for my 2002 MP5...
if someone knows. please let me know !!

tanx

LOL. The 4000k - 12000k has nothing to do with brightness. It has to do with the color output. They are no where near 12000k they just say that so you know they have a purplish output to them. Much brighter then stock and they are not a coated bulb so no light is lost threw that.

I have to sell my car so I am actully selling my McCulloch HID Kit 10,000k. Only had one problem and that was a ballast that was replaced under warrenty. If anyone is interested shoot me an offer. I will post something in the for sale section soon.

xoom xoom said:
LOL. The 4000k - 12000k has nothing to do with brightness. It has to do with the color output. They are no where near 12000k they just say that so you know they have a purplish output to them. Much brighter then stock and they are not a coated bulb so no light is lost threw that.

I have to sell my car so I am actully selling my McCulloch HID Kit 10,000k. Only had one problem and that was a ballast that was replaced under warrenty. If anyone is interested shoot me an offer. I will post something in the for sale section soon.
Actually, the higher the Kelvin rating, the less actual usable light output there is.

Yes but the actull Kelvin rating is not 10k or 12k. Catz had a purple kit out it called galaxy white and it was rated at 6500k probably more likely.

Well, the higher up you go the more "off color" you get, meaning the more blue and purple and all. Right? Right.

So, I have a 6500K pure white light and a 12,000k purple light. When it's midnight and I go driving, which one will I see better with? The 6500K light since it's a true white and the output is not getting mixed with another color. You could even go so far as to bring up the "dark colors absorb, light colors rebound" lesson we all learned in school. A white light will go further than a tinted (or HID colored) light.

Why do people buy SilverStars halogens? Because they give off a brighter and more true white color which is easier on the eyes and provides more lighting. You'll just see better with a whiter light.

Last edited:
We arent talking about a 12,000k purple light did you read the post about Catz? Companies use the rating as a marketing tool to place more distance between colors then there are instead and to make there kit seem the brightest. Catz called it 4300, 5100 and 6200k McColloch calles the same bulbs 5500k, 8000k and 10000k, other brands go with the 6000k 9000k 12000k.

The output is not mixed with a different color it is the mixture of 2 gases the produces purple instead of blue, or white. The bulbs aren't coated, like the Silverstars which will never put out as much light as an uncoated bulb. The blue coating onthe Silverstars cause blue tint to make your eye to contract making it appear to be brighter then it actully is.

Yes, even HID bulbs are coated when you get to higher K ratings. I'll even direct you to a source that sells HID kits and even he will tell you that the higher K you go the less light (lumens) you put out. Less lumens equals less brightness.

http://www.misterjung.com

I heard so many bad things about misterjung...
how they don't fit right and bulbs won't last long. however, I heard they have good ballasts.

As far as I've seen, that's how most HID kits get you. You either get good ballasts or good bulbs and most of the time fitment really isn't too great. Too bad Catz discontinued their HID kit.

My 8000K Osram kit has no tinting on the glass of the bulb. Yet they are quite a bluish-white color at night. In fact I got to compare my lights to the projector HID's on my Dad's RX330 last night and I prefer my lights over his.

N2OInferno said:
As far as I've seen, that's how most HID kits get you. You either get good ballasts or good bulbs and most of the time fitment really isn't too great. Too bad Catz discontinued their HID kit.
N20- Quailty kits will never use coated bulbs for different colors they use a mixture of gases. If you have a white light (lets say 5000k) and then coat the bulb blue or purple you will get much less light output then a 5500k or a 6500k. Yes, the higher the K rating the less light output but it is not 12,000k as I have stated over and over. Its not even 10,000k or 8000k they are trying to tell you what color the light output is.

Either way coated bulbs (such as the silverstars and cheap hids) will never put out as much light as uncoated bulbs. But uncoated halegeon can't even come close to coated HIDs. I don't have the lumes output for the different shades of light but stock lights are 1400(correct me if im wrong) and the lowest HID kit I have seen was 3100 lumens.

Hehe, the D2R HID I think puts down around 2700 lumens.

But I think the primary advantage of HID is safety, then looking cool.

To spend 400 bucks for the colour of the light is wasteful IMO.

Show me a kit for around 400 bucks that uses very high quality bulbs and ballasts then because I want to see it. So far I think I might end up getting mine from Xenon Depot since that's where the people with BMWs go.

Did you not read the Mister Jung site at all though? Here, just read this, and this is only 7500K.
The 7500k kit incorporates a blue coated bulb and is the most colored kit I sell. It doesn't compare to anything stock, it's a nice deep blue color that will get your car recognized. Unfortunately, due to it's higher color it is the least brightest kit, rated at 2400 lumens... But that's still twice the light as you get from most halogen systems!
In order to reach a color of 7500K the bulb has to be coated blue. If you go higher (for ex, the 12000K) then the system will most likely
1.) come with a bulb that will be coated with even MORE color
2.) put out way less light
3.) be completely fradulent in its advertising if the bulb is not coated

And I thought Silverstars were proven to put out more light than the stock halogen bulbs?

EDIT: After checking the Mister Jung site again, his brightest HIDs are 3200 lumens.. So if the lowest you've found is 3100 then I really wonder about the correctness of the information. Without a good photometer you can't really say how bright they are, and I bet most people that do make these kits just look at it once it's installed, give it a color rating and guess how bright it is, and put that up without even thinking.

Last edited:
xoom xoom said:
I know of at least 2 people in Bay Area alone who had/have problems with McCulloch. My replacement ballast - I had to pay full price for it is dying on me slowly...

As I said my Osram kit has no tinting to the bulbs at all, it is a quality kit with a great warranty and excellent light output. I have compared these to my dad's lights on his RX330 and there is hardly any difference in the light output of these two units, besides mine having a much more blue color to them.
sidehid3.jpg

I was reading up on HID earlier again and it seems like you can get color without coating the bulb. Here's what I found on xenon depot.
Philips has produced a 6000k bulb for consumers wanting a bluer output from their OEM HID systems. These 6000k bulbs are also known as "Ultinon" & "Cool Power" bulbs. The Ultinon and standard Philips 4100k lamps are identical with the visible exception of the 'salts' colour in the burner and the ceramic insulation on the earth return lead. Base is labeled: "Not legal for use in Europe/USA" as these bulbs are meant to be used in Asia & Japan.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, I'm probably going to get mine from www.xenondepot.com. I'll be getting the 4100K kit. I'm going for brighter, not colored. From what I've heard they're one of the best, and after looking over their product the molded bases would probably fit much better than the retrofit that is just glued on.

Thats what I was trying to explain that some cheap koren kits will coat the bulb but most dont. Like mine and the Catz and the phillips.

Back