1000km after putting in Redline MT-90

Well, it's been about 1000km since changing my manual trnasmission fluid to MT-90 (not sure what was in there before).

Botom line...NOT impressed at all. It is VERY notchy and now grinds going into third (never did that before). I cringe every time now shifting just anticipating the grind between 1st and second and NOW second to third.

Anyone else experience this? A shop drained the old stuff and put this stuff in. No leaks that I have noticed, so that isn;t an issue...but man, everyone seemed to swear by this stuff. Maybe I had some retardedly incredible stuff in there before I changed it - who knows...but I will say that it doesn;t feel as good now.

Just thought I'd post to tell ya.

On another note, those of you who said I should go with the Ecsta SPT over the Ecsta ASX, I would have but I can't seem to find the SPT tires locally anywhere....so I might just go with the ASX....I can't imagine they are going to feel THAT much different than the SPT. I am not racing or anything like that, I just want a good sporty feeling tire. If I am wrong, please correct me since I am going to be getting the tires this week. I have a dedicated set of winters...so this is for the other 3 seasons.

Thanks all!

Kansei, that SUCKS about your car man....Don;t let them get away with it!

How much fluid did they put in? They might not have known to fill it until it starts pouring out the fill hole.

I was very happy with my Redline MT90. Right now I have royal purple 75w90 in and it seems fine too.

.. and my tranny has been through hell. Try driving 200+ miles on the highway and on backroads rowin through the gears with literally no gear oil at all. that was NOT a fun day >_< stupid bolt vibrating out bah

Kansei said:
How much fluid did they put in? They might not have known to fill it until it starts pouring out the fill hole.

I was very happy with my Redline MT90. Right now I have royal purple 75w90 in and it seems fine too.

.. and my tranny has been through hell. Try driving 200+ miles on the highway and on backroads rowin through the gears with literally no gear oil at all. that was NOT a fun day >_< stupid bolt vibrating out bah

Well, I gave them 3 quarts of it, and didn't get any back, so I assume they put it all in.

Like I said, so far no leaks. I would assume that I would notice if it all leaked out on the highway or something since the thing would be a nightmare to shift! But I checked constantly for a few days after the fill and no leaking..

I thought it only needed 2 quarts but I could be totally wrong.

And yes, it's a nightmare if it all leaks out. I had a bolt vibrate out so it didn't leak out, it poured out.

yea be sure they filled it all the up, you can test it yourself just open up the fill hole, you may need to put more in.

lovin my MT-90 here, had it for about a year and Zero problems, it actually cured some of the grinding from 2-3

maybe the shop didn't put enough?

Those were roughly my experiences with the MT-90. It started OK but deteriorated pretty quickly. My 3rd gear would grind every shift until warm. Then it would grind ~40% of the time.

Just a thought, but maybe MT-90 doesn;t work as well in unmodified cars. I don;t race my car and it has no mods....is that possible?

Oh well, let's hoipe it gets better..... I really don;t like the fact it actually STARTED grinding going into 3rd now...that erks me......

Kansei said:
I thought it only needed 2 quarts but I could be totally wrong.

And yes, it's a nightmare if it all leaks out. I had a bolt vibrate out so it didn't leak out, it poured out.

IT actually needs almost 3 quarts.......I am assuming they would have given me the remainder back if there was some to give back to me right????

So it's not just me then...I've had MT-90 in for 2 years and not really impressed. I actually feel the mechanism alot more now while shifting. I should mention I got B&M/Kartboy bushings/corksport bronze oil bushings and my shifting requires alot of effort or else I grind the gears. I really thought those bronze oil bushings would start lubricating and easing my shifts but it seems to have gotten alot stiffer especially when parked but while driving it's a little better but still very stiff.

Jaysanooch said:
So it's not just me then...I've had MT-90 in for 2 years and not really impressed. I actually feel the mechanism alot more now while shifting. I should mention I got B&M/Kartboy bushings/corksport bronze oil bushings and my shifting requires alot of effort or else I grind the gears. I really thought those bronze oil bushings would start lubricating and easing my shifts but it seems to have gotten alot stiffer especially when parked but while driving it's a little better but still very stiff.

Your stiffness may be bolts that are too tight. Check them since they should only be like 12ft/lbs, IIRC. I have Corksport bushings and do not experience the tightness you refer to.

I also have MT-90 and, while I did not notice great improvement, I certainly did not get ANY grinding of gears. The only reason I grind is because I begin to release the clutch too soon while shifting agressively. This certainly isn't the fluid's fault...

Just a thought, but if you are grinding gears with the clutch pedal on the floor then you may be shifting too hard. We have synchros but they are not miracle workers. It will still take a few tenths to get everything going the same speed.

newprot5fan said:
I can't imagine they are going to feel THAT much different than the SPT.

I have the ASX's and I am not really that impressed. I only get all-season tires so I don't have to get a second set of wheel/tires. If you already have the snow tires then I would opt for a high-milage summer tire. Look at the General Exclaim UHP tires. Or go to Tire Rack...they can help you get tires installed locally, too.

NVP5White said:
Your stiffness may be bolts that are too tight. Check them since they should only be like 12ft/lbs, IIRC. I have Corksport bushings and do not experience the tightness you refer to.

I also have MT-90 and, while I did not notice great improvement, I certainly did not get ANY grinding of gears. The only reason I grind is because I begin to release the clutch too soon while shifting agressively. This certainly isn't the fluid's fault...

Just a thought, but if you are grinding gears with the clutch pedal on the floor then you may be shifting too hard. We have synchros but they are not miracle workers. It will still take a few tenths to get everything going the same speed.

12 ft/lbs eh...I'll check it out but it's just weird because it wasn't as tight at first, feels alot stiffer lately...I doubt the bolt is tigntening itself. Ya it's not the oil's fault I know...most definitly the driver..lol. Thanks!

Back