$100 to program a key, ugh

Hi,

Had anybody tried the local auto locksmiths for making a ignitable transponder key (with only one functional key)? and how much they charged for this kind of service? I have checked several local auto locksmiths' websites, in their service description stated that they are capable for this kind of tasks. I just wonder is it true? and will they charge much cheaper than dealer?
I had a local shop cut a key, it is no problem and was a reasonable price. However, if you have only one key, you are screwed; it takes two keys to program the car to recognize a new key yourself. You have to go to the dealer if you have only one and it will cost more than a nice dinner, but there's no way out.

Have all the remotes that you are going to be using, maximum of 3, with you when you do this programming as all of them have to be reprogrammed into memory.

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

all I can say is .....wow(wow)

Back