100,000 mile club

zmzmzm

Well, I just passed the 100,000 mile mark with my car. I know a lot of people come here to ask how good these cars are, and what repairs to expect. There are too many variables to expect a solid answer, but this is what I've done to my car over the last four years. I'm the original owner.

Replaced headlight bulbs two or three times. ($30)
Replaced one fog light bulb. ($5)
Replaced drive belts at 60,000 miles. ($45)
Changed spark plugs at 95,000 miles. ($10)
Changed transmission fluid at 50,000 miles with Royal Purple. ($50)
Changed the oil every 5,000 miles with Mobil1 Synthetic. ($25/each)
Had rotors turned at 30,000 miles and 60,000 miles. ($60)
Replaced all four rotors and all brake pads at 70,000 miles. ($225)
Replaced OEM Dunlops with Pirelli P7000 tires at 40,000 miles. ($500
Replaced Pirellis with Pirelli P3000 tires at 80,000 miles. ($425)

That's about it. I guess wiper blades should be in their somewhere, but I'll let you guys figure that out on your own.

The car still drives great. There are no significant noises coming from anywhere. I'll replace the timing belt this fall ($150), and the struts next spring ($300), but other than that, foresee no big expenses in the near future.

Chris

i was having similar success with my p5 when i traded it in at 35K. well, except for the damn rust.

My 02 just turned over 60k. I noticing 1 of my belts squeaks at low rpms when its cold.

If you changed the plugs for the first time at 95K, I'd like to know what they looked like :eek:

Sounds pretty good though - all expected maintenance items.

I don't want to jinx it and I am the 2nd owner but I'll turn 90k tomorrow on my way to work. I've put about 6k on it in a little over a month and a half. Aside from getting some 15" wheels and some winter tires and the other non-essential things I've done it's been really good. Knock on wood. I'm sure I'm jinxing myself right now....

lol, that's pretty coo. i've had my oil changed every 3k to 2900 miles, changed tires way too many times. stock dunlops were changed at 9k miles because i had a blow out, and i had got 2 new wheels under warranty. didn't have to pay for either wheel or tire. i didn't like dunlops, so i replaced them with kumhos(3 kumho tires). then i replaced with kumhos again at 30k miles. then i got 17's with 42k miles on the car(total on tires is about $2k with wheels). umm i've had the 30k mile service which was spark plugs and some other stuff that i dont remember($400). i've had 2 sets of wiper blades(bosh, $23 a set). that's it for so far, and i beat my car up. im thinking im going to run into some kinda problem by 110k miles. im changing my timing belt at 50k because i dont want to risk breaking anything. then at 60k i'll change spark plugs. i haven't changed the stock battery, none of my headlights, tailights, or foglights have gone out. how long will the stock battery last by the way? im going to get a red top optima battery sometime within the next 2 months. i think that's about everything. mods run close to $2500.

is it me, or do the 03+ or even 02.5+ seem to have the most problems?

my 02 has been running solid all this time, no warranty or major repairs to deal with...

mogi said:
is it me, or do the 03+ or even 02.5+ seem to have the most problems?

my 02 has been running solid all this time, no warranty or major repairs to deal with...

No problems with my 02.5 at 32k! Not even a rattle. I love my car :D.

Awesome..Congrats...Here's to another 100k! (drinks)

It's refreshing to see a thread like this compared to those selling their rides or experiencing major problems...

protege02 said:
im changing my timing belt at 50k because i dont want to risk breaking anything.

Wow, that's expensive paranoia. An inspection is recommended at 60K, but replacement at 105K. While the timing belt breaking would suck it shouldn't damage anything as we've got "non-interference" (I made that term up) valves, so nothing should get bumped into if the belt goes wacky. I'm at 60K now and don't plan on changing the belt until 105K.

Oh really!! So we don't have to have the whole valve train and head rebuilt if something goes *pop!*? I didn't know that! That's like $2000 less if something does happen!

imjustagirl said:
Nope we are safe.. its not a valve bending DSM :) I'm so pissed off with mine right now that I'm seriously thinking of trading it for a Dodge Magnum...
what's wrong w/ it (those magnums are nice...u should get a charger R/T ;)...too bad they only come as auto :()

registering said:
Wow, that's expensive paranoia. An inspection is recommended at 60K, but replacement at 105K. While the timing belt breaking would suck it shouldn't damage anything as we've got "non-interference" (I made that term up) valves, so nothing should get bumped into if the belt goes wacky. I'm at 60K now and don't plan on changing the belt until 105K.

I thought the 2.0 was an interference motor.... That's where the valves do hit the piston if the timing belt breaks.... I have seen alot of posts where some argue one side and some argue the other...and I'm stuck in the middle not knowing....

Latest posts

Back