1.8L FP-DE crank in a 2.0L FS block

Installshield 2

Gothenburg Superiority
Sorry in advance for the long post (before the TL;DR ensues haha)

A very long time ago, i did a lot of NA work on my P5. An engineering elective in college gave me access to equipment to custom make long rods and associated pistons for an FS engine. for a brief while, i was running a 13:1 compression FS with 8mm (iirc) longer rods that could easily rev to 8000+ rpm (making nearly 200bhp on a free-standing brake dyno)...but all with a borrowed $4000 motec ecu that was never intended to be permanently wired in my car...and like most things...i never got around to finally finishing the project, and its been on the stock engine other than all the bolt-ons ever since...This was a tricky dance with a high strung light-weight internal race engine...but stuck with a factory oil system, as well as limited access to a full dyno and a decent cam shop to nail that down (we ground one off customs that 'worked', but never put the time in to the math to figure out exactly what i needed)...to say this thing was 'peaky', was an understatement...as in it was either an animal, or barely driveable...under 50 degrees...wouldn't start...under 5,000 rpm, barely moved...above that, its hard to explain how much fun it was.

Now considering this was more of a school thing, i was rushed...and didn't get to ever do exactly what i wanted, as i couldn't go and purchase some other things to really do it right. I now have some more time to work on this stuff, a little more money to throw around...and better access to some harder to find parts...

So i'm now toying around the idea of a new naturally aspirated engine build (using some parts from the engine i already built)...The idea starts with a 1.8L crank from the FP...this brings the assembly much closer to square, gives me something like 7mm more 'room' to start with on rod length before i even start playing around with compression ratios. But, after digging for weeks, i simply can't find any of the crank specs i need. so thats where i need some help.

Does anyone have any info on it? Bad news off the start is that almost every retailer lists 1.8L flywheels and clutches separately from the 2.0L. This could be simply that the 1.8L has a shorter deck height, therefor a smaller rear 'face'...and that the F series gearbox has a smaller bell housing...and thats the only difference, but i've never confirmed any of that. This wouldn't be an issue though, as this would use the 2.0L block and G series gearbox. I more need to know if the crank end will mount a 2.0L flywheel (and therefor a 2.0L clutch) properly..as there are almost no proper clutch options for a 1.8L other than factory replacements.

The rest is bearing sizes. I get mixed results from multiple parts stores. I know that FS and FP connecting rods and pistons are said to be interchangeable...the FPs are actually shorter, so no use to any of us, but you can get a slight compression bump right off the bat by running FP pistons in the FS (to 9.4 iirc)...so this leads me to believe the crank arm end diameters are the same (as well as big and small ends of the connecting rods)...but its the main bearings i'm after...

so if anyone knows the bolt pattern size for the flywheel...as well as the bearing size...and associated cradle dimensions (if they are in fact different) it would be much appreciated. I know these cars are old, its more of a nostalgia thing for me any more...but i still see posts from guys that have been around as long as i have, and if this goes right we could see one of the first street driven 9,000 rpm FS's to date...

I'm a buddy of Lordworm's and he had talked about using the FP crank to reach much higher rpm's that currently used on the FS. I will see if I can direct him to this thread as he may have some of the information sitting around. I am building an engine with the longer version of the K1 rods and am looking to push up to 7,500 rpm so am interested to see where this thread goes.

Otherwise, my spare FS engine is in pieces at the moment (including the crank), so I should be able to get you whatever dimensions you need for there. Another friend of mine has a junk FP engine but stripping that down to measure things such as the crank will be fairly difficult as he lives an hour across town and I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment.

Like others have said, keen to see this progress and happy to help if needed :)

Been doing some research and ACL lists main and conrod bearings as the same between the FS and FP ;)

Awesome guys, thanks. Shaley, you know that for sure? I talked to rafi at RR-racing recently (big mx6/probe.talk member and retailer, lots of KL swap stuff) and he said the flywheels were 'not' interchangeable between the FS and FP...but gave me no other information...If your right, it looks like what i hoped...that its the block (the rear face, where the flywheel mounts to the crank)...not the crank itself...

and thanks to all of you...any and all dimensions will be happily accepted...building the files now so i have it all in front of me. This will be a process, and i'll eventually make a build thread and link it in here...for now though, i'm just trying to guarantee the 1.8L will fit and go from there.

just to touch on what is planned:

FP crank
~12:1 compression ratio, with longer rods and floating pins
possible custom vacuum adjusting ITB setup (a lot more on that later)
new custom ground cams
completely re-worked head
AEM EMS

goal of around 8800 rpm to 9200 rpm...if the ITBs become a reality..if not, more realistic to keep it around 8500 for breathing
~175 to 190whp, again, depending on intake system.

a member on astina gt converted from 1.8 to 2.0L fs-ze using the 1.8 flywheel until after 3 destroyed f-series transmissions later he swapped over to the g-series transmission and had to then use a fs flywheel to suit.

oh ok, so the F series gearbox and 1.8L clutch/flywheel bolted to the 2.0L crank/bell housing...good info man, thanks...can't see why it wouldn't work in reverse clutch/flywheel wise. I'll be keeping the G series box, as well as a 2.0L clutch/flywheel...just needed to know they at least bolted up properly.

Been doing some research and ACL lists main and conrod bearings as the same between the FS and FP ;)

oh and how is your exhaust with the custom mid pipe? I have the mazdaspeed 421, and also a racing beat cat-back...my custom mid-pipe is rusting out fast though (its the only thing left from the stock exhaust system, and had to be shortened)...are you running cat-less or with a hi-flow aftermarket cat? I'm trying to decide what to do on that. There are no emissions in my area, so i don't have to worry about that, but would feel pretty dirty running cat-less for any length of time...and am also worried about it ruining the sound of the car. currently, its perfect...not highway drone, no tinny top end...just a little bit deep from outside the car (still think its the best cat-back ever made for these cars)...

did yours change with the mid pipe changes?

I run with a high-flow cat in the midpipe. I got a 2.5 inch cat and used it as a transition piece between the Autoexe headers and the Racing Beat exhaust which have slightly different internal diameters.

Exhaust sounds great - nice and deep and doesn't really change note too much through the rev range. It sounded even better before the Microtech with lopey Twiggy cams at 500 rpm :)

Back