1.8L Coil conversion

1.8 set up is a waste of time

not sure if its a complete waste of time, i do know that it was a cheap replacement for our OE coils and IMO look much better then the OE coil on plugs.

IMG_2194.jpg

GOPR0203.jpg

Limited knowledge but the ecu is only using the coils to start the discharge of spark to the plugs.. As long as the plug from the wiring harness hooks up to the coil pack it should spark the exact same.. The pack itself shouldn't have any control of when the spark is sent

As fair as i know it is a important part of the ECU and it was designed to take the 2.0 coils

it's just ignition wires. People have been running these for a long time now. As long as each wire goes to its corresponding lead for the correct firing order, it's no different from using coils. The way I see it, if the coils were an absolute requirement, there would be an aftermarket coil out there for use. But nope, only wires...nology for example.

those are all OEM replacements. Hell, you can pick those up at any auto parts store. To clarify, if it was a requirement to use coils, there would more than likely be a performance upgrade for our cars out there, which there isn't. People have been using the 1.8's for a while with no problems. If there was any issues with these being used with our ECU, they would have been discovered only a few hours to a day or so after the first person tried using the 1.8's.

those are all OEM replacements. Hell, you can pick those up at any auto parts store. To clarify, if it was a requirement to use coils, there would more than likely be a performance upgrade for our cars out there, which there isn't. People have been using the 1.8's for a while with no problems. If there was any issues with these being used with our ECU, they would have been discovered only a few hours to a day or so after the first person tried using the 1.8's.

Thank's for clarifying, i thought surely he is not saying you can not buy OEM replacements

Last edited:
wow this is very interesting because i was wondering if i could do away with those slave coils. my msp throws a p0300 every 3 or 4 days, was thinking it could be those coils either going out or just getting hot. i have brand new ngk coppers gapped at .030. goin to get the reflash done on tuesday and if that code keeps appearing goin to look into this swap alot more

wow this is very interesting because i was wondering if i could do away with those slave coils. my msp throws a p0300 every 3 or 4 days, was thinking it could be those coils either going out or just getting hot. i have brand new ngk coppers gapped at .030. goin to get the reflash done on tuesday and if that code keeps appearing goin to look into this swap alot more

welcome to the forum, glad to see another TX MSP

Had these for yrs now without issue of any type.......................see timestamp in photo in my post. Same set, still have brand new spare set too.

Limited knowledge but the ecu is only using the coils to start the discharge of spark to the plugs.. As long as the plug from the wiring harness hooks up to the coil pack it should spark the exact same.. The pack itself shouldn't have any control of when the spark is sent

^This is correct. Makes no diff to the ECU! (and yes, it does look sharper - i 'm more of a perf-modder, eh? But i did black sharpie the letters on the valve cover! (headbang))

anyone have a close up picture like this to show where the wires get relocated to? i can't quite see it in bikingpro5's pic

image-13.jpg

If you look closely or zoom you might be able to tell but IIRC, it bolted to the 1.8 bracket just like it was bolted to the other bracket.

100_1282.jpg

Not sure if I have a better pic but I can chk it out after work..........

Last edited:
Bump!

Is the 2000 626 1.8 valve cover really needed? How much tinkering will I have to do with my 2.0 valve cover?
Also, if I do go to the wreckers to pick up a 626 valve cover, is the gasket different from the 2.0 gasket?

Latest posts

Back