08 Mazda3 AUX port and SIRIUS problem

:
2008 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring
Hi guys, Im new to the forum so please go easy on me :)

I have a 2008 Mazda3 S Grand Touring.

Recently I wanted to plug my iPod into the AUX port and which many of you already know, with SIRIUS thats not possible.
I saw couple instructions online but with words, I cant do a thing.

Can anyone suggest or have a detailed instructions of removing the dash mount and changing the cables?
I don't use SIRIUS and I just want to hook up my iPod.

It would be great if there are videos or maybe a picture guide showing how to do.

Thanks in advance!

It's really not all that hard. You need to remove the dash strip, pull the HU and swap the cables.

The strip is held in by three to four tension clips and one hook (hook on the far right). To remove it:
-open the glove compt.
-grab the bottom edge of the strip towards the left of the glove compt. and pull towards you to pop the clips loose.
-repeat to release the two or three clips right of the LCD but be careful to to pull the far right end with the hook straight out. Once the clips between the LCD and hook are released gently flex the strip to disengage the hook.
-pull to release the last clip left of the LCD.

To remove the HU:
-remove the two phillips screws near the LCD (note, there are four screws in that area, two of which are for the upper center dash section and don't need to come out)
-grab the top of the HU and pull towards you to release the tension clips holding it in place. Don't pull on the face trim or it could come loose
-slide the HU out and unplug the connectors. Careful when the HU clears the edge of the dash as the metal sides could scuff the dash trim if you're not mindful.

To swap the plugs you just unplug the sirius and plug in the ACI. The connection in question is located towards the driver side of the HU. Generally the ACI plug will be tied off to a wiring harness or tucked behind a panel somewhere to keep it from banging around so you might need to a look a bit to locate it. Plug everything back in and reassemble in reverse order.

Thank you for the reply!

See, looking for the plug and trying to get off the strip is going to be a big deal for me...
I never done such work on my car so Im afraid I might break things inside :(

When you mean LCD, its the LCD screen of the entertainment system correct?
I have a Navi system on there as well so would the wiring be bit different?

Thank you for the reply!

See, looking for the plug and trying to get off the strip is going to be a big deal for me...
I never done such work on my car so Im afraid I might break things inside :(

While it may be out of your current comfort zone I wouldn't really consider doing this "work on a car". Not downing you at all, it's just that it's ridiculously easy to do.

Check out this video (on installing a GTA car kit). It's a little long, but it gives you some visual of how to remove the stuff. As he notes in the video the dash strip is more difficult to take out the first couple of times because the clips are stiffer. Also he says you must take out all four phillips screws and raise the center dash section which you do not. The HU just clears the top section of the dash.

As far as looking for the plug, you're literally just looking for a plug somewhere in the area behind the HU which isn't plugged in to anything and which looks like the sirius plug you removed from the HU.

When you mean LCD, its the LCD screen of the entertainment system correct?
I have a Navi system on there as well so would the wiring be bit different?

Yes, the LCD located above the HU. For your purpose the wiring will not be different.

Last edited:
Ill give it try this weekend since its labor day and I have no work, thanks!

Looking for the cable, would there be other similar cables that looks like them that I should watch out for?
Is there a certain color?

Hi Racer, Did you ever figure out how to do it? I recently removed the radio because of a jammed cd and since I don't care to use Sirus radio I would like to remove whatever I need as for the installation for Sirus and connect a MP3 player. Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi Racer, Did you ever figure out how to do it? I recently removed the radio because of a jammed cd and since I don't care to use Sirus radio I would like to remove whatever I need as for the installation for Sirus and connect a MP3 player. Please let me know.

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. Couldnt really come here since I was pretty busy.
And unfortunately no, I haven't.
I gave up trying to remove the panel since it looked like it would break easily.

Thanks

If you have the HU out then all you need to do is unplug the sirius from the back of the HU and plug the ACI into it. Unless you actually want to uninstall the sirius that's all you have to do.

@streetracer, sorry you don't feel comfortable removing the HU. Was it the dash strip you felt was going to break?

If you have the HU out then all you need to do is unplug the sirius from the back of the HU and plug the ACI into it. Unless you actually want to uninstall the sirius that's all you have to do.

@streetracer, sorry you don't feel comfortable removing the HU. Was it the dash strip you felt was going to break?

Again Im so sorry I couldnt come sooner.
And yes. I tried budging with different methods but it seems its going to snap.
I saw some pictures online and it seems like the dash strip is held by the right and left side.
But every way i try, it seems to not budge or seems to snap :(

Well Iam proud to say it was one of the easiest thing to do.
As soon as I pulled that bar off the dash, it was easy.
Just gave some firm pull and all came off.
Thank you all.

I had this same issue when I had my stock deck. I took it to the dealer and they were trying to get me to purchase something that was $$$$. It is as simple as taking the OE deck out, unpluging the SIRUS coneection and pluging in the AUX plug.

Back