08 cx 9 tailgate rust

papaclo

:
2008 Mazda CX 9 GT AWD
Hello! New to the forum so forgive me for any etiquette violations. I just bought an 08 cx 9 gt with low miles and an awesome price. Couldn't be happier with it but it seems as though mine is suffering from the same tailgate rust issue others have had. Just noticed a small amount of oxidation where the plastic piece that holds the license plate lights and backup camera meets the tailgate. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it. I'd like to remove that piece and address any oxidation underneath it and then reinstall after figuring out how to keep it from either rubbing the paint in that area or trapping dirt in that area which may be contributing to oxidation.
I tried to search the forums but it seems most people were able to notice this issue early and have it taken care of at the dealer under warranty. Any help would be appreciated or if you could direct me to a thread that addresses this issue without going to the dealer or body shop I'd appreciate it. Obviously I am well outside the warranty but with only 35000 miles I couldn't pass up this awesome vehicle.

Firstly, realize that the entire hatch will eventually have rust issues. Mine was oddly not rusting (yet - but I could see the paint wearing through) where you speak of, as well as under one of the taillights and peaking through the bottom seam, and also behind the logo on the hatch. Fact is, they messed up with the rear hatch and it is very prone to rust.

Now - how to solve your issue: Take the entire trim piece off. There are some 4 bolts holding it on from the back, along with some push-in fasteners which may or may not break off on you. Then fix up the rust/rubbing. Finally, before you put it back on, get some high density foam with adhesive on one side, and stick in on just inside the outside edge of the trim piece. The foam will keep the piece pushed out so it no longer rubs - which was causing your initial issue.

Make sure you get higher density foam. Lighter cell foam might be ok at first, but eventually the tension of the fasteners and bolts will squish it to a thickness that will be questionable to help out. Don't get a foam too thick though, or when you put the piece back it will stick out too much and look funny.

Anyway, I did this fix some two years ago, and it's held up very well. The repair behind/beside the logo and the taillight, however, are starting to rust through again.

Good luck.

Hello! New to the forum so forgive me for any etiquette violations. I just bought an 08 cx 9 gt with low miles and an awesome price. Couldn't be happier with it but it seems as though mine is suffering from the same tailgate rust issue others have had. Just noticed a small amount of oxidation where the plastic piece that holds the license plate lights and backup camera meets the tailgate. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it. I'd like to remove that piece and address any oxidation underneath it and then reinstall after figuring out how to keep it from either rubbing the paint in that area or trapping dirt in that area which may be contributing to oxidation.
I tried to search the forums but it seems most people were able to notice this issue early and have it taken care of at the dealer under warranty. Any help would be appreciated or if you could direct me to a thread that addresses this issue without going to the dealer or body shop I'd appreciate it. Obviously I am well outside the warranty but with only 35000 miles I couldn't pass up this awesome vehicle.

Back