08.5 vs 09 even match?

well if its true or not he will never know. whole car is ****** he rolled it. rim and rotor came right off

85-to-90 then gradual floordoes work

i think flooring out the gate may throw too much fuel and isnt mixing with enough air.

If you just WOT shift at the right RPMs, wouldn't that be faster than the 85-90 throttle?

If you just WOT shift at the right RPMs, wouldn't that be faster than the 85-90 throttle?

The way our cars work, it's actually better to be conserative with the throttle. The car runs pig-filthy-rich, and running WOT doesn't really give you the results you're really looking for. But gradually easing into it tends to appropriately control your power and fuel.

Sorry but the term WOT does not apply to this car unless the ECU has been modified...
the throttle plate is never wide open...
even with it floored the ecu will modulate the aperture of the throttle plate.

read this-->h t t p://w w w .cp-e.com/2117.html (take out the spaces)

Technically, after reading the graph on CP-E's website, the ECU automatically rolls into the throttle. If you notice, the throttle plate gradually opens between 2500 and 4500 rpms. It's extremely minor, but it does. But it's still never at 100%. Problem is, it makes me wonder if there was a reason. Because we all have said the car runs pretty bad at Pre-Flash WOT.

I like the idea of completely controlling the car. Cobb even says in their accessport that they notice the throttle plate opens slower if you slam on the gas versus gradually easing into the gas. So, this could be priceless pieces of information to drive the car the best.

Last edited:
Just had a thought...maybe it has something to do with regulating the way the air moves over the MAF sensor.

I realize they are in two separate places, but remember even as quickly as things react there is still a delay between opening throttle and when the MAF sensor gets its reading.

Throttle plate opens causing vacuum downstream...this pressure drop has to travel back through the turbine past the MAF, out to the Filter. Think of it in reverse. You cant get suction at the filter until the throttle plate is open...maybe its a fuel timing issue. Its essentially waiting for the reading from the MAF. THE harder you MASH the throttle the more compensating it has to do.

The non wide open throttle mapping is something to do with the blades of the turbine warping at anything over 5800 at wide open throttle because they get so hot...I thought? When they sized the turbo they made it midrange punchy not top end grunt...the sacrifice? A turbo that wont last at redline in this car...plus Hitachi Turbo= Not that great...

At lower RPMs, opening the throttle part-way will allow just as much air into the engine as WOT will because the demand from the engine doesn't exceed the flow capacity of the orifice. At 75% throttle or 100%, you won't feel a lot of difference in acceleration at lower RPMs, but WOT will never be slower. The ECU is likely already applying WOT fueling and timing maps even if you're at 60% throttle - at least that's the way it worked on older EFI vehicles.

The fact that you don't feel a lot of difference between 75% throttle and 100% at low RPMs may lead you to believe you're not accelerating as quickly, but it's an illusion.

At higher RPMs, the engine's demand will exceed the part throttle opening's flow capacity and you will accelerate more slowly.

For best acceleration in these cars, put it to the wood and hold it there.

^^^ maybe the 08.5 was flat foot shifting... i've noticed my car on the track just take off into 4th gear if i've done the shift just right 3-4. It was such a noticeable difference if done right and it will carry your momentum much faster into gear.

every car is diff and driver also....it can depend in what way engine was broken in....two the same stock cars can output diff power on the same dyno.mine car is a freak i didnt brake is slowly i just did couple runs 30% throttle on 4th and so.....like i posted article about racing teams doing it somewhere on this forum...

The old Mazdaspeed Protege used to have the exact same problem it accelerated harder under partial throttle than just flooring it. Usually.

It's to do with how the turbo spools. Turbos work better under load, so they actually prefer a little bit of resistance when sucking air in. A gradual ramp up is and always has been the best way to drive a turbo car and trust me i have driven a LOT of them.

I do find that once the motor is good and hot the best way to drive it if you want to feel the greatest acceleration is to slowly feed the throttle in getting close to 80% at 4000rpm then flooring it at 5000 or so. Your metering the fuel with your foot. The idea about too much fuel is probably correct. You need to match the fuel with the amount of air going in.

But yes gradual increase = better turbo response. More often than not.

Hmm You would think with all your "turbo knowledge" you would know that when your moving the throttle...your changing the amount of air let into the engine...NOT the fuel.

The ECU then looks at how much air coming in...then matches that with a certain amount of fuel (AFR)

The car matches the fuel to the air...not the air to the fuel.

Last edited:
+1 .. hes right

intake air in and maf sensor picks up how much air is coming in .. turbo compresses .. intercooler cools .. throttle plate opens .. air and fuel mixes and compresses .. spark plug ignite ... exhaust .. spools turbo ..thrust .. repeat until this process happens about 5700 times a minute ... shift repeat.

(cheers)

They need to do a rolling start, both in 5th at 2500RPM, all the way to 6,000. Whichever one pulls has more power. You can't tell with shifting.

Back