07 Mazdaspeed3 with 2 blown engines and no mods

k2white

I bought my speed3 in Feb07 so Im guessing it was one of the firsts, I love the car but it has become a love/hate relationship. I had the engine recalls (bolt, seal, actuator) taken care of early on, Oct 07 at about 8,000, may not be relevant but it was the beginning. then at 12 months and 15,000 I blew a rod in 6th gear doing 60mph on the way home from work, there was no warning. It was suggested that maybe I beat too hard on the car. I dont beat on the car, I drive it cautiously and I try not to speed ;), had a few tickets in my earlier years and I value my low rates. The dealership knows and I know there is no way I can cause a blown rod with normal driving, there has never been a question of warranty, the dealer took care of it but it took 2 months to get an engine from Japan, dont know what thats all about but I didnt have to pay for the rental so I was patient. I got the car back and the next day the starter blew, another tow and a day later I got it back again and went about my business. Three weeks later, the car died again, in the same manner, driving along and it just dies. This time it was the timing in the cam which caused damage to the engine, Mazda was still back ordered on engines so I would have to wait another month. So instead, Mazda worked it out with the dealer to take the engine apart and have a machine shop fix it and then they rebuilt it. I dont have technical knowledge about engines but I know enough to know that I got a lemon. I paid for a brand new car and I love the car but regret the decision to buy a new model its first year. Ill never make that mistake again. Now I sit in fear that if I take a road trip my car will die somewhere in the middle of bum-*****-Egypt or worse after the manufacturers warranty ends. I have lost faith in the car.but I still love driving it. It should also be noted that I have not done any modifications to the car and kept the maintenance up, hell not a whole lot involved when its only a year old with 16,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sorry to hear that.........i dropped my engine at like 3,000 miles.....s*** happens man...............you gotta understand there not happy about it either it is not cheap to give someone a rental car for 2 months........although Im really sorry it happened to you twice that sux man........

I hope you next motor is gonna pull FOR MUCH LONGER :D

Is this car going to last us over 75,000 miles because i bought it thinking that it was a reliable japanese car. Damn i should of went with the civic si. I have no problems with mine so far i have 8,000 miles with minor mods (SU engine mount, CAI, SS).

Is this car going to last us over 75,000 miles because i bought it thinking that it was a reliable japanese car. Damn i should of went with the civic si. I have no problems with mine so far i have 8,000 miles with minor mods (SU engine mount, CAI, SS).

I don't think this issue is as wide spread as it might seem. lets hope not anyway...

If I had the kind of luck you seemed to have (assuming all this is true), then I'd sell it or trade it for something else. It makes little sense worrying about the car and whether it's going to hold up. It's got low miles so now would be the time.

I will say, the majority of blown engines reported so far were modded or were at some point, and there are quite a few people with turned up boost and no issues.

i think his problem was the person who installed the motor! i know if you dont do the cam right your f'ed! just sounds like mechanic error

its very rare to get a lemon today! i know in md it takes the same problem 4 times and under 12000 or 15000 to qualify for a lemon!

MA is something like 3 times the same related problem within a defined period by law it is a lemon or something like that ... 23K no engine problems besides some minor things to be tightened / replaced

I have heard repeatedly that boosting the car under heavy load such as described (60mph in 6th gear) can cause just such a failure.

I.e., putting the pedal down without downshifting ....

I have heard repeatedly that boosting the car under heavy load such as described (60mph in 6th gear) can cause just such a failure.

I.e., putting the pedal down without downshifting ....

This is preposterous, especially considering the kind of situation the car faces in 1st and 2nd gear in this car.

Based on the chain of events it sounds like the replacement engine wasn't properly installed. The setup of the engine was taken at face value and basic installation methodologies like checking timing were not done before the car was returned to the customer. I'm not sure what he means by the starter blew up but this could easily also be an installation issue.

This is crap luck and the engine blowing at 15K is concerning but I suspect one issue came from the factory and the other came from the dealer. I'm certainly frustrated for you.

I have a question that bears consideration if the above statements are true. ie: boosting the engine @ 65 in 6th gear. This scenario is extremely common in highway driving situations. It is perfectly normal to hit the gas for a passing maneuver on the interstate. I have read my owners manual and there are virtually NO special cautions regarding how to operate the turbo engine vs. any other regular gas engine. Why is this?

I fully understand the need to idle for a couple minutes when the turbo has been worked hard, but otherwise they (mazda) have given no other special cautions. Hell they don't even warn about the idling thing at all either.

I think that the only way you can blow up and engine when flooring it in 6th gear is if you have manually turned up the boost. Then, all bets are off because the ECU is being manipulated. Otherwise, flooring it in any gear at too low of an RPM is just going to lug and/or stall the engine.

i think his problem was the person who installed the motor! i know if you dont do the cam right your f'ed! just sounds like mechanic error

engines come fully assembled besides a few things you have to swap over, they only have to be put in, they even come with oil in them, there is no timing to be done when replacing an engine.

engines come fully assembled besides a few things you have to swap over, they only have to be put in, they even come with oil in them, there is no timing to be done when replacing an engine.

Not always, dealers will do a short block or long block depending on the original damage.

Not always, dealers will do a short block or long block depending on the original damage.

no they don't, dealers themselves don't tear down warranty engines when they come in ****** up. If an engine is shown to be blown, a new one is ordered from mazda, and they do what they want with it. Dealers do not teardown or rebuilt engines/cars in warranty.

no they don't, dealers themselves don't tear down warranty engines when they come in ****** up. If an engine is shown to be blown, a new one is ordered from mazda, and they do what they want with it. Dealers do not teardown or rebuilt engines/cars in warranty.

lol! I would hope not.

I cant say 100% for Mazda but Daimler Chrysler was going to install a short block in my sisters jeep wrangler when the oil pump went bad. I also know Toyota would replace the short block. The dealer only does what Mazda tells them to do. They need to return all the warranted parts and Mazda can refuse to pay if they feel the part was not defective.

Back