06 EVO IX MR vs. 06/07 WRX STi. I have a few questions.

Karma_hunden

:
'04 protege, then '05 mazda 3i, then '06 MS6 GT, now '10 RX8 R3
Alright, so basically I'm putting the same ole'question that has flied around since these two have gone at it.

I will give you a background, an opinion on upcoming EVO&STi gen. and the question. I will separate them in sections so if yall dont wanna read one, you can just skip to the point.

--------Background-----------

I'm pondering on the idea of trading my CX-7 (or perhaps my beloved MS6) for some raw(er) power. Initially thought of muscle cars like a Mustang GT or a LS2 GTO (or even perhaps the new upcoming ones like the challenger/camaro, etc), but realize its worthless. They cost too much to mod, because mods are cheap, but you need more mods to support mods that mods that car. lol. So at the end you are way off, plus I didnt mind the fact the car would handle like a boat until recently I have a few events on my life (nothing tragic dont worry) and opened my eyes to see that handling isnt just about fun or autox, its about DD circumstances, and if you dont have it, its just a bad outcome when it arises. That's why I love my AWD and I'm looking for something even rawer. It rains a lot where I live too (South Florida, yay).

So basically, I'm left pondering about which of these two I should get. Both proven to be extraordinary cars, with different views and opinions from those who drive them, look at them, and have ridden in them.

----Background and opinion---------

I was thinking on waiting for the new upcoming ones, but I think the STI wont be anything [THAT] surprising like the new WRX came to be against the MS3. Same with the EVO. The EVO is tight but i dont know, i feel those cars have been suited to appeal to a more broad audience. The kinda of people that are all about a good looking car and driving something fast (nothing wrong with that), but thats about it...ask them about doing autox/drag racing and they will frown, ask them about modding and some of them probably will reply with a "yes, ima get some 20s [with REALLY low profile] on this baby.."...know what I mean...hell, some of them wont even know how to drive stick and get an auto (another disgrace to these particular rally inspired cars...the word "rally inspired" will be quoted for the new ones though..."rally decended/look-alike" is more fitting.)

I know the car enthusiasts will still be there driving these, but I mean, the fact of sharing the community with people like the one I explained above just doenst appeal.

It may sound rediculous and absurb, but ever since I have driven the MS6 I know what it is like to be somewhat unique and to experience that enthusiasm for [your] cars as others. The other day I was in a friend's modded tC and as we parked some teenage girl was getting in another tC. My friend asked her what she had done to it (it had some nice wheels) and she said "nothng, just wheels"...she didnt even know what wheels she had, she said her bf picked them for her. Bleh.

I wont start a debate between Manual vs Auto tranny, but I do think those that drive manuals, are forced to somewhat learn how to drive over those who drive autos. There are bad manual drivers, as well as there are good auto drivers, but I do think that the bad manual driver still sticks above the same level of a good auto driver or the average driver for that matter. I feel they are sort of de-breeding the rally concept of the EVO and STi jsut to suit the needs of the average market for car buyers.

What yall think?

-----Question----------

06 EVO IX MR or 06 WRX STi?

I plan on not exceeding more than 2K-3K on mods, seing as how I will most likely pay for installation on a few if not most of my mods due to school and work (which is another 1K or so).

Now that being said, Which of the two is a better car?

I few things about my driving:

Don't take my car for roadtrips.
Drive 60miles back and forth (95% highway) to school (5 days a week).
10 miles back and forth to work (4 days a week).
add a 30miles or so for weekend. Trips to clubs, parties, etc dont exceed pass 100miles.
I put around 15.5K miles a year.

Last edited:
I can't tell you which car is better, but the Evo 9 is faster!! they run about 12.8-12.9 Stock!!

But if you were 2 trade in the CX-7 i would get a MS3 rather than an Evo or STi!! having a MS3 and MS6 would be tight........lol but anyways good luck on your decision

a part of me has always loved the way the STI looks over the Evo. last night i met up with a group of ppl, and my one buddy showed me his Evo with 350 to the wheels, and a nice set of rota rims. it definitely changed my view a little bit.

both cars are awesome, and stock for stock they are so close in power it's really a toss up. whichever you choose, i think you will be happy.

yeah, great cars, but I'm in love with AWD. A good RWD is the only thing that can get me out of it, but right now is that. Plus, I have a CX-7, a mazda3s and the MS6. Before the CX-7 there was a mazda6. Before the MS6, there was a mazda3i, before the mazda3i, there was a protege. I'm mazda saturated as you can see lol. Something different would be nice.

There's a member here that has both MS6 and MS3. He beated me to it lol. I did think about it for a while though.

Both cars are very nice but when it comes down to performance 2k/3k in the Evo and you'll be putting down 350whp and could possible hit very high 11's to low 12's. It'll take alot more than 2/3 grand in a STI to yield those same results,if that's important to you.

lol, yah but I heard the replacement parts for the EVO cost a lot. And the EVO has the reputation of being more fragile than the STi.

So it's sort of balanced. I think...

Personally i want a 99-00 Si or 92-95 EG with a new paint job in Titanium grey!! and Swap the Motor.

Either: (DC5)K20A Type R swap or B20VTEC swap.

that's something i want in speed, I love the Sound of VTEC on these Motors

Overall For the car, Swap, engine work, paint job. It will be way less than 20-25K for an Evo or STi.

But that's just ME

lol, yah but I heard the replacement parts for the EVO cost a lot. And the EVO has the reputation of being more fragile than the STi.

I'm pretty Evo savy(because of my friends) and with Intake, turboback, boost controller, fuel pump and a tune you'll be at 350 whp and it'll be safe all day long. The only thing you'll have to really upgrade from there would be a clutch if you intend to launch it from a dig at all in the future. The 4g63 is a crazy engine and at 350whp you're just touching the basics with that engine.

it's really a preference more than anything. and if you can still find a new MR since the 07 model year doesn't exist and the 06 has been around for 2 years. i would say go test drive both and see what you think. the 07 STI (the STi died in what, 05? 06 maybe?) is the one you should go with if you decide STI. i believe it has a slightly larger turbo and the air/fuel map has more cells (forget what that's called) so they've shown greater gains. at $2-3k in mods, if they're all power mods, you're looking at maybe high 11s on each. for the evo probably exhaust (~$1,000), tune (~$200 if you just do mail in), MBC (~$100), bov ($100-200 depending, JDM MR on the evo is what i'm planning on), fuel pump (~$100), k&n drop in (~$50, no need for more if you're planning on stopping at $2,000 in mods), set aside some money for a clutch if you like to launch and you're set. beyond that it starts to get more expensive with the STI where the evo you can go a bit more before it starts to get significantly more expensive. you're probably looking at around 350whp with those mods though which is pretty decent

attached is my planned mod list. i think i'm the only person who creates spreadsheets outside of work. it's for an 05 8 but the 9 is pretty much the same as the car is 95% the same (mivec intake cam and larger cool side of the turbo are the two main differences mechanically), you might find people do things in a slightly different order but pretty much the same. something to remember is with a lot of mods you have to do a reflash so it's a good idea to do them in groups to save on this end if you don't get something to change air/fuel maps yourself

Attachments

• mods.xls
    20 KB · Views: 131
how bout cams and headers?

I know the vishnu tune puts that thing to scream. Jred, you told me the vishnu wasnt that good, i think. I forgot why...

Last edited:
I'd go with the EVO. It will be more responsive to mods than the STi. With only putting that relatively small amount of money into the car, I would not worry too much about breaking parts.

Another thing to consider, as someone else said, is the MS3. You can get the MS3 for 25k and instead of having 2-3k in mods, you could have 10k in mods, assuming you were doing a personal loan for the car and all mods. Plus you would have a MS6 and MS3.

But yeah, get the EVO. :)

from what i've heard it's the opposite. the STI, engine-wise at least, is much more fragile. the 4G63 is pretty much indestructible until 500whp or so. replacement parts really aren't bad, as i said in the other thread. i would suggest spending some time reading on evom to get real owner's experiences

Yeah I read your other post.

How does the tranny/clutch hold though? I met some dude with an MR that told me he spent 2K on a clutch or something. Crazy, but then a I dont know exactly what he put into it or what kind of clutch.

Do cams and headers do a difference too?

how bout cams and headers?
if you're getting a 9 the cams aren't necessary right away because of the mivec intake cam helping things out. if it was an 8 cams are next after basic bolt ons (2008 in my schedule). header isn't really worth it if you're staying on the stock turbo imho. you'll see some gains but nothing significant so there are better places to spend your money

I know the vishnu tune puts that thing to scream. Jred, you told me the vishnu wasnt that good, i think. I forgot why...
vishnu is good they're just way overpriced. i would recommend buschur over vishnu, he's active in the community also and has been around the 4G63 forever. check out http://buschurracing.com/ for an idea of cost of aftermarket parts. you can find parts cheaper than there but they're normally in the same ballpark

How does the tranny/clutch hold though? I met some dude with an MR that told me he spent 2K on a clutch or something. Crazy, but then a I dont know exactly what he put into it or what kind of clutch.

rumor is (nobody has really proven it yet) that the MR 6 speed is slightly weaker than the standard 5 speed. either one won't be a problem at the power levels you're looking to see though, these are coming from people with 400+whp that drag. the clutch is designed to be the weak point in the system so when you launch it takes the abuse (as it should).

if you want you can spend $4200 on a clutch https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26_135&products_id=956 but i'm planning on closer to the $600 range. if you're not installing it yourself it's also somewhat expensive on the labor side as with any car

awesome thanks!

where would I be able to find an 06 MR? Do dealers still have them?

how much are they selling for new now??

some dealers still have them, you'll have to check what your local ones still have in stock. here's a thread for a dealer in California that people on the east coast have bought from and had them ship it over. from what i've heard good guys. http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=287271 their inventory and pricing is

LIMITED INVENTORY

smilie_thumbsup.gif
YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR #1 GOAL
smilie_thumbsup.gif

New Pricing

EVEVOLUTION IX GSR SE $30,499 INCLUDING DESTINATION CHARGE

EVOLUTION IX MR SE $33,999 INCLUDING DESTINATION CHARGE

EVOLUTION IX GSRSOLD OUT INCLUDING DESTINATION CHARGE

EVOLUTION IX SSL$31,999 INCLUDING DESTINATION CHARGE

Evolution IX MR SOLD OUT

Evolution IX RS SOLD OUT

Back