04 thermostat

weatherdan822

:
2004 Mazda 3 hatchback
I just had my check engine light go on (which incidentally enough looks much like the check transmission light), so I brought it in to get serviced and turns out the thermostat was bad. I have 132k miles on my 3 and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I just changed mine... Went out around 80,000 on my 2004. The check engine light code was P0126 "Insufficient coolant temperature exists for stable operation." I got a Garmin Ecoroute HD and my coolant temp was sitting around 150-160F, and would go down to 140 in cold weather on the highway. New thermostat and I now cruise around at 183-192. My gas mileage went from 24mpg to 27mpg with no change in driving habits otherwise. I was rather happy.

It's not too bad to get to. Right on the front of the engine, but you will dump a gallon or more of coolant out of the system while doing it, and it helps to have small hands. I had a friend help me with it because he's got little hands. My big fat Shrek hands don't fit in there too well. It took us right around an hour while screwing around quite a lot.

-Eric

Yea, mine was pretty messy to change. Coolant got everywhere and had to wash down the entire engine bay. Though she seems to be running great now; though not sure if I'm getting better fuel mileage because of it...I'll have to see next time I fill up.

Back