02 protege ticking when I left off and cruising the freeway

Sn95stang

:
2002 Mazda protege
New to the forums and new to mazda
I'm getting a ticking noise when I let off and the rpms come down also on the freeway at normal speeds with my foot barely on the gas it ticks constantly but if I hit the gas a little more it goes away.

For some reason it doesn't make the noise unless the engine is driving easy (barely on the gas or letting off) its sounds and drives fine through all the gears has anyone had this problem ?

Any help,ideas or threads welcome thanks

So no one ?
Car clacks constantly at 3k rpm on the freeway with my foot barely on the gas keeping constant speed

Hard acceleration there is no noise until I let of then clacks again while rpms come down

Could be valvetrain noise, may be coming from the transmission or axles. It's hard to say by your description

by your description, I have the same exact thing on my '02 ES. no noise at idle, engine decel, or accel. only when just barely keeping the same speed in any gear. sounds a lot to me like valvetrain noise but not positive. mine is very faint and canonly be heard with stereo and accessories off. maybe need a valve adjustment??? im not quite sure either. hopefully someone will have an idea.

Have you tried heavier oil to see if it makes a difference in noise

as for sn95stang, I don't know and don't mean to thread jack but since we are having the same issue I suppose it's not quite a thread jack. but no I've only run 5w30.

Try going heavier on weight to see if it helps. if its internal this may help

Could be the recall issue with the butterfly valves in the intake manifold. I had this back in my old MP5 when the butterfly valves had come loose and were sitting in the intake vibrating. If it is them then there is a recall so the dealership would fix it for free. Get it taken care of though cause I was veeeery lucky I didn't have any major engine damage when one partially went into the cylinder and had a chunk bitter off. It must have flown right through the exhaust system because if it had stayed in the cylinder it would have done some major damage.

Last edited:
ill have to stop by my local mazda dealership where I used to work to check for the recall. I've been meaning to check for some while now but never have the time.... i'll also maybe use a heavier weight oil next oil change and see if that helps. sure sounds like light valvetrain noise, but we'll see.

im having the same issue. Have been since I bought the car last october. hasnt gotten any worse/better. Very faint and seems to be easier to hear from the inside of the car as opposed to under the hood. it drives me nuts so i just turn up the radio a bit to drown it out. same deal with the throttle though. hit the gas and it goes away until its at a more constant engine speed. pretty strange

Back