'02 or '03 MP5 ... looking for long term users.

I have an 02' built in Oct 01'. 165,000 miles and climbing. The only problems I have had with it were all caused by crappy aftermarket parts. Overall very affordable car to have. I havent had to do any major overhauls, really only had to do the basic maintenance to it; timing belt, brakes, plugs, fluids, etc. I do it all myself so I can't give you a price range on maintenance cost, but parts themselves are affordable and readily available.

From what I read the autos aren't the best in the long run, so make sure you get the 5 spd!!!! I am currently on the stock clutch and it feels about as good as it did 100k miles ago. It doesn't burn any oil and gets about 29 mpg combined city/highway mileage.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Midnight Blue are the fastest!!(outie)

Last edited:
Bought my 2002 P5 new in March 2002 and have been so happy with it, I will probably replace it with the current version (Mazda3 hatchback) in a year or two. I currently have about 86.5K miles on it. Other than the standard maintenance items (oil, filters, plugs, brakes/rotors, etc.), the only issue I have ever had is twice replacing the pre-cat oxygen sensors. No biggie. Oh, and I just had two new front wheel bearings put on (not surprising - my driving is best described as "spirited"). If I were in the market for a used car, the P5 would definitely be VERY high on my list. It still looks great, is fun to drive and it starts EVERY time I turn the key.

radex where are you located? There are tons of P5's for sale in the desert southwest with NO rust.

Ohio man.. chek out my first thread to see the one Im thinking about getting.
Other than that one spot on the sunroof itself (not the body of the car at all.. more like the metal bracket that holds the sunroof), there isnt a single blemish anywhere on or in the car.

Models after mfg date around 4/02 had revised shiftforks and synchros in the 5spds.

Just out of curiousity.. were these changes significant, for the better?

And...

Thanks all for the replies.

I would have loved to head down to the states for a car, seeing as I can fly for next to nothing.... but the loonie decided to head south before I did.

I have a line on a couple of '02 MP5s in Vancouver for around 9K w/100K kms on them. I have a feeling I could do better, but then it's in black.... and I shouldn't have to worry too much about rust.

Thanks again.

Just out of curiousity.. were these changes significant, for the better?

And...

Thanks all for the replies.

I would have loved to head down to the states for a car, seeing as I can fly for next to nothing.... but the loonie decided to head south before I did.

I have a line on a couple of '02 MP5s in Vancouver for around 9K w/100K kms on them. I have a feeling I could do better, but then it's in black.... and I shouldn't have to worry too much about rust.

Thanks again.

Yeah I been checking west coast autotrader, and damn, for some reason prices on the west coast on average 2 grand higher than the rest of the Country, I just paid 7500 bucks before taxes for an 02 here in Ottawa. 106,000 Kilometers, But the condition of the car is mint, zero rust and I mean zero, undercarriage is as rust free as the day the car left the factory.

I Paid over the odds but was happy to do so for a condition one car, although I have seen some 02s priced higher than what I paid. I guess it all comes down to what you want to pay for a particular car.

Pat.

145k miles on mine. For an Ohio car with a negligent previous owner, she's holding up well. All 4 calipers were replaced, even though it was on the the rears that needed it. It has a lot of rust, but all in common locations, so no surprise.

I love the car, I just hate the body work required to keep one looking good in the areas that use salt in the winter. I would buy another one before I even considered getting a Mazda 3.

Bought my 2003.5 Silver P5 in 2003 and now have 48K miles. Zero problems, just routine maintenance, tires and lightbulbs :) Fantastic car.

2003 and 48k?
Are you THAT little old lady?
lol.. my grandmother has a 2003 Saturn with 11000 on it.. hahaha

I own a 03 and no problems so far...But do look over with a sharp eye. I too have bubble rust underneath the paint on the rear doors.

2003 and 48k?
Are you THAT little old lady?
lol.. my grandmother has a 2003 Saturn with 11000 on it.. hahaha

LOL, but I do drive it everyday. I only have a 5-mile commute each way - good for fill-ups every two weeks also.

Im looking to sell my 2003 White MP5 it has 145000 highway miles its in excellent shape except a little rust around the rear tire wells, 5sp manual sunroof and indash cd changer. hopin i can get 4k out of it. I have too many cars and my GF says its time for some to go lol =)

i've got an 03 and have had it for 2 years and put 30K miles on it and only had basic upkeep

My 03.5 has been lots of issues. Lots of little thinsg

But, for teh most part, i love em both to death!

I have had my 2002 MP5 since November of 2001. I'm currently at nearly 140k miles. The first six years were virtually trouble free. Just oil, tires and brakes. The last year has been expensive for me, though: brakes, rotors and calipers on all four, rear linkages and O2 sensor. Spread out over the lifetime of the vehicle it's not bad, but now I'm having transmission trouble and I'm having second thoughts. I have always loved driving it, though. Definitely a fun car to drive, especially with the 5-speed!

Back