How many miles, until you had to change your struts?

I have not had to yet and I am at 60k miles. I've spoken with the service advisor about this and they told me they have seen struts on the CX-5 last past 100k miles.

To me it seems fine at 58k. But I'm on CS springs. I assume, that mine will go out sooner than other cars.
I knew, that usually struts should be replaced, around 60k. Some dealers say even 50k.
I'm just starting to look into struts/coilovers, since last weekend, in one trip, I have bottomed out three times on the freeway.
I'm thinking, that maybe my struts got weaker?

13 with 73k miles: struts are fine. Maybe theyll wear out by 100k.

To me it seems fine at 58k. But I'm on CS springs. I assume, that mine will go out sooner than other cars.
I knew, that usually struts should be replaced, around 60k. Some dealers say even 50k.
I'm just starting to look into struts/coilovers, since last weekend, in one trip, I have bottomed out three times on the freeway.
I'm thinking, that maybe my struts got weaker?

Are you bouncing? Maybe it's the springs that got weaker. Not familiar with CS.

A bit, most likely, because I'm riding on the factory struts and they are softer then it should be. I'm bottoming out once in a while. I understand that this is what you have to deal with, if you lower your ride that much.

How much did you lower it? Sounds like a good reason to install shorter, stiffer struts.

3-1/4". Most likely.
I'm also thinking, how about a set of Konis? I would still retain the same stance, but with sport struts, should be better. If I remember correctly they are adjustable, at least the front ones.

Thanks Chris for that, but I think that I will get something else, a toolbox.
Maybe I will get them for my birthday.

My thoughts are that the "change struts at 50-60 k miles" (especially factory struts) advice belongs in yesterdays trashcan along with the "3 mo or 3000 mile" oil change jingle.Miles and time alone are not a valid indicator of wear.However my experience with aftermarket struts like Monroe,hell they started going soft at 25,000 miles, so yea,50k would seem reasonable for those.

My thoughts are that the "change struts at 50-60 k miles" (especially factory struts) advice belongs in yesterdays trashcan along with the "3 mo or 3000 mile" oil change jingle.Miles and time alone are not a valid indicator of wear.However my experience with aftermarket struts like Monroe,hell they started going soft at 25,000 miles, so yea,50k would seem reasonable for those.
I agree. And it may also depends on which car manufacture. I finally replaced all 4 struts on my 1998 Honda CR-V a year ago at 183K miles. The original factory struts were still in good shape function-wise, and the ride with all new OEM struts feels not much better than the old ones.

Id change the shock absorbers and struts at the time theres some sign of weakness, or theres a visible leak.

I haven't check for leaks yet, but I'm on CS springs(~50k miles already) and I'm at almost 60k, I don't feel like I need new struts.

Yeah when you bouce too much after you hit a bump you might need shocks.
If you are hitting bottom that might be the spring height.

If you want them to last drive only on perfectly smooth roads. Every time the piston in the shock goes up and down it wears a little. They are also temperature sensitve. I would guess because the oil in the shock thickens and the nitrogen gas might shrink or lose a little pressure.

Just as a data point, our 2014 has 120,000+ miles on it and the (stock) suspension is still good. No bouncing, absorbs and returns fine after bumps, etc.

I have asked Koni and they said, that the yellows are OK with my dropped CX5. When I need new shocks I will just go with them.

Back