stuck in 4th gear

eatmyrice

Well friday afternoon i was comin home from my gf's house and i took this right turn at like 40 mph's in second gear. i shifted to third and when i hit the accelerator all my engine did was rev. it kidna freaked me out, so i shifted to 4th. it went in 4th ok and was driving normal. so i was just thinkin i did somethin wrong while i was in 3rd like didnt let the clutch pedal out all the way or somethin, but i was goin along in 4th and i tried shifting to 5th but it wouldnt even go in the gate. and it wouldnt even go in 1st or 2nd either, but just 3rd and 4th. well i tried down shifting to 3rd and i thought it worked but i noticed my rpm's didnt change. so i tried going into neutral and revving my engine. but when i hit the accelerator it was like i was still in a gear. so i realized i was in 4th and it wouldnt go to any other gears. i pulled off to a gas station and called the road side assistance and they towed my car for free. This is my first stick shift car so i was really shocked when this happened. i dunno whats wrong. my friend said somethin about a cable or hydrolic clutch line or somethin that might've snapped. so im pretty much carless till monday or maybe even later.:mad: I miss my baby.

You did exactly what I did. You broke the shifter fork. Except mine broke in 3rd. So i was stuck in third. Same symptoms. Dont panic. Warranty covers it. But it is still a pain in the ass that it happens.

shifter fork? is it my fault? or was the part just a pos. can i do anything to not let this happen in the future? thanx. How long was it at the dealer for?

The transmission seems to have some real shortcomings. The MP3's shorter shifter doesn't help matters since it stresses things like the shifter fork.

I did the same thing too...damn Mazda setup tranny is crap!

I think i broke a gate though....good luck itll take some work likely

im a pissed off azn. i called the dealership today to see if my car is ready and its not, but thats not what got me mad. what got me mad is that the guy told me that my shifter problem isn't gonna be covered under warranty. He said he doesn't know exactly what the problem is, but it won't be covered. wtf, that doesn't make any sense. He said it's due to "abuse". All i got is a cone filter on there, but they probly think i race it or somethin, but i dont drive it that hard. I called them back a lil bit later and i talked to the service manager and started complaining, and he said that he doesn't know if it will be or not, and that they're starting to recognize the same problems or some stupid $hit. What do i do? I'm only 18 and im not used to doing this. ProtoEsGt are you sure it's the shifter fork? thanx

Call them up again and tell them to prove that it was abuse. They cannot. And then mention the whole SEMA thing and how they cannot deny warranty on a part unless they can prove a mod caused it. After that, call Mazda USA a few times until you get somebody good and b**** at them. Good luck.

Well today (tuesday) i found out from my dad that it's NOT covered under warranty, and that the problem is shifter fork. its gonna be somewhere around $1800 to fix. which is crap. all i have is a cone filter and they said that the extra horsepower pretty much caused the problem which doesn't make sense cause it's the shifter fork. my dad wants me to get like mazda headquarters number so he can complain to them. anyone know where i can get the number?

I am afrade that mazda might be some what right, because usually the shift fork is the part that will break or bend due to stress, i.e. slaming through the gears or even resting your hand on the shifter. However It is not a wear item and should should still be coverd under warranty. Sence there is no power transfered through the shifter fork, I think you have a good chance of getting it payed for If there is know way to prove that your air filter is the cause (a ludicris proposition btw).
GIVE 'EM HELL!!!!

WHat???? $1800 for a SHIFTER FORK? BULL$HIT, kid. Give me their phone # and tell me your name, and I'll call up posing as you. No one else had to pay for the fork, and the added two HP of the intake won't make a bit of f'in difference. I'm SO pissed.

yeah bro complain to Mazda Customer Service or Main Headquarter, in order to void the warranty the dealership has to prove that the aftermarket part is what caused the problem. a cone filter does not break a shifter fork. dont take their crap just cuz ur young, all dealerships are the same, toyota or mazdas.. good luck

-serge

eatmyrice said:
Well today (tuesday) i found out from my dad that it's NOT covered under warranty, and that the problem is shifter fork. its gonna be somewhere around $1800 to fix. which is crap. all i have is a cone filter and they said that the extra horsepower pretty much caused the problem which doesn't make sense cause it's the shifter fork. my dad wants me to get like mazda headquarters number so he can complain to them. anyone know where i can get the number?

I hope you are not seriosuly considering paying this money. There is a certain law due to a certain court case that says this s*** CANNOT HAPPEN. Look over at www.sema.org. Or search here for "warranty sema" for a direct link to the case. You DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THIS MONEY. Your dealership is a ******* crock. An intake modification that probably adds 0.5 HP is not going to break a tranny, let alone a shifter fork that doesn't even touch the drivetrain. Christ, the same tranny is used in the TURBO MSP. They are playing you for a fool.

I am usually a pretty calm guy, but this is pissing me off. Mazda dealers seem to be ******* morons. I never really yell at anybody, but if my dealer tried to do this to me, I would b****, call, and scream until I was given justice. Do not be taken for a fool my boy.

Chris

What if I have a 97 proteg and something similar happened to me but while was pulling out of my drive way in reverse, I accidently put the thing in forth and then tried to put in reverse but then it wouldn't move even to the gate WTH is going on?!?!

WHat???? $1800 for a SHIFTER FORK? BULL$HIT, kid. Give me their phone # and tell me your name, and I'll call up posing as you. No one else had to pay for the fork, and the added two HP of the intake won't make a bit of f'in difference. I'm SO pissed.

im as mad as this guy!

yeah and saying this is a protege thread...i highly doubt anyone has a warrenty remaining unless its 3rd party. so i do believe this might be a closeable thread?

Back