How to: Evenly light gauges w/LEDs

btw, this is on hold while I finish the turbo install on my car.

K im a total retard when it comes to taking stuff apart. Other than the gauges, I want to put blue LEDs behind the A/C knobs and the "P R N D..." thing as I have an automatic.
How do i take it apart? any ideas or how tos you could point me to
Btw, its a 00 LX sedan

somewhere along the way, when i was changing my bulbs to leds, i fried a trace on my board, and when i put a replacement in, it fried the same chase. rism, it is the one that controls the lighting, how did you fix it?

any clue why it would fry a second board in the same spot?

I finally got the last parts I need for the engine install, lovely story of delays. I have the stuff to finish my gauges as well. Unfortunately I leave tomorrow for house-hunting in NJ until the 4th. The blue gauges has turned out nicely, and I figured out a way to sand the fuel/temp gauges without breaking the needles once I got a replacement cluster in and swiped the fuel/temp gauges to replace mine since I broke one.

derrick1623 said:
somewhere along the way, when i was changing my bulbs to leds, i fried a trace on my board, and when i put a replacement in, it fried the same chase. rism, it is the one that controls the lighting, how did you fix it?

any clue why it would fry a second board in the same spot?
how did you fry it? during the install, or when you plugged it in and powered it on?

(uhm)
1. Is there anyone out there who knows--or has a volt tester and could find out--how much voltage each bulb socket (i think there are 4) supplies individually? It makes sense that they'd each supply 12V, so I'm just wondering.

2. Rism, or anyone who knows, i'm really worried about the odometer being left green if i change my entire scheme to red. I noticed Rism's is red after his mod, do the red lights take care of the green screen?

Thanks a lot for any help.

-Kirby

any electrical system is 12v in the car. If you are looking for the draw, or the amperage, that's different.

I changed mine to blue, and they are bright enough to have changed the odometer to blue. If you want to keep it green, you will have to set up a green light under a shroud to protect it, or a white light for lighter green.

same thing happend to one of my traces but that was only after i added far too many LEDs. I fixed it bysoldering a 20gauge wire to reconnect them.

That is because the amperage exceeded what the circuit could handle (the bandwidth of electricity). The voltage remains the same.

It should work just fine. I am guessing the MSP gauges are very similar in construction to the other proteges.

Has anyone tried some of those blacklight bulbs from superbrightleds? I was wondering how those would look on my cluster. I'm not gonna do the fancy string LEDs right now, but rather just get some of those wide angle ones and plug them in. If anyone has the Blitz BLM gauges, this might look pretty sweet together. I'll order them this weekend and have pics up soon.

THanks for the write up... this is something I think I'm going to do to the gauges and the center council lights. That way they will all match my Kenwood deck.

Latest posts

Back