Current best OEM replacement tire?

dolanh

:
2002.5 PR5
Hi all,

Tires come and go, and mine are going. I have a slow leak in my drivers front tire which sucks, as i was hoping for a few K more miles out of this set. But, as they're getting pretty bald and winter's coming on, they could use replacing.

Last time I looked I narrowed it down to these tires:

Toyo Proxes 4 (205/50 16)
Kumho Exsta ASX (195 or 205/50 16)

Anything else I should be looking at?

Where would I buy these around San Francisco? San Jose?

Thx,
Dolan

The Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S is the top rated ultra high perf. all season tire on Tire Rack. They have it in a 205/50-16 size for our cars. I've heard the ASX is a little soft in the handling department.

mcstark said:
The Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S is the top rated ultra high perf. all season tire on Tire Rack. They have it in a 205/50-16 size for our cars. I've heard the ASX is a little soft in the handling department.
im running the p-zero's and i love them ... what ever you do stay away from the dunlop's

mcstark said:

Me wants! :D

I've been impressed with the ASX's so far. Mine aren't the stock size though. Might try the pirellis next.

dolanh - do you drive up to the mountains? If not, I'd suggest sticking with a summer tire. Not much snow in the SF/SJ area. If you head east towards Trukee or head way up North, then it'd be a concern. Otherwise, shop for a good "summer" tire. With a summer tire you can get an overall better performing tire with exception of snow. Notice how most everyone that responded come from areas that have snow? I grew up just south of you in the Monterey Bay. I drove in snow once in the 18 years there and I had to drive 5 hours to get there. My wife grew up near Buffalo, NY., we're currently neighboring WI, and I went to college in MD. All those places get snow! If you need to run out to Reno for a weekend during the winter, take the SUV.

What are you looking for in a tire? Figure out what's important to you and base your decision off of that. Check out tirerack's site and compare attributes such as: treadwear, wet-traction, dry traction, cornering stability, responsiveness, ride comfort, and noise.

Back