A Rebuild Story - A Forged MP3 Motor

TurfBurn said:
I'm going to also publish a final price list for everything as well so that you guys have a good budgeting idea. Right now it is shaping up to around 5600.. without a turbo replacement. Right now everything is kind of held up on the pistons.. and how much it is going to cost to do the PandP and valve work on the head.
so for me that would be like 7grand(canadian eh)...which is my ballpark guess anyway..thats with a turbo replacement(I might actually push the 8g marker)

mazdaspeedpower said:
so for me that would be like 7grand(canadian eh)...which is my ballpark guess anyway..thats with a turbo replacement(I might actually push the 8g marker)
Yeah it gets up there quick... that price (~6k) essentially includes:
Used Block and head: 750
Upper Oil Pan: 100
Oil Cooler: 100
Cylinder Hone: 32
Main Bearing Hone: 175
Crank Balancing: 75
Measurement Tools: 75
Port and Polish: 750
Valve Work: 400
FPR: 200
Injectors: 350
Pistons: 700
Rods: 700
Bearings: 200
Gaskets: 200
Clutch: 400
Studs: 100
Which is a total of about 5300. Then throw in a turbo or other machining or replacement components (not to mention engine management) and you eclipse 6k USD pretty quick.

And that list doesn't include some of the things I already have:

Microtech: 1300
JandS: 500
Gauges: 400
LSD: 600
Exhaust: 500
Fuel Pump: 150

and probably others I'm not thinking of.

PHILLY-ORANGE said:
Now how would all the extras hold up to about 18 psi with the stock turbo and from what I heard the turbo is insucifient after 18psi would I run into all what was stated in the other discussion.
I can see clutch and driveshafts for you in the future...

18 PSI over time will kill the T-25. It's surge limit is supposed to be 17 PSI so, Mmmm...Redline the turbine...kill the bering...(eek2)

TurfBurn said:
Yeah it gets up there quick... that price (~6k) essentially includes:
Used Block and head: 750
Upper Oil Pan: 100
Oil Cooler: 100
Cylinder Hone: 32
Main Bearing Hone: 175
Crank Balancing: 75
Measurement Tools: 75
Port and Polish: 750
Valve Work: 400
FPR: 200
Injectors: 350
Pistons: 700
Rods: 700
Bearings: 200
Gaskets: 200
Clutch: 400
Studs: 100
Which is a total of about 5300. Then throw in a turbo or other machining or replacement components (not to mention engine management) and you eclipse 6k USD pretty quick.

and probably others I'm not thinking of.
That looks like my shoppping list!

Just wanted to bump in and update... things have been not moving due to organizing and researching the build basically. I think I have almost all of it squared away now though... made some changes in ring and gasket plans. I'm working on some block modification stuff right now... and I need to rebudget to absorb a valves change and so forth. But in general everything is on track. I should make a good leap of progress in the upcoming weeks and have some genuine updates. I may update later tonight showing some more information and the like as I can... but not likely anything major... lots of updates will come as we go :)

Later!

Steve

because at around 16 psi they pretty much start melting. I'm going to run a pretty constant 20, so I need the valves to be able to keep the head function intact for a longer period of time. I saw exhaust valves already pretty much fried on my old head and that saw 16 only for a short while and I never ran lean in the least (typically about 11.5 was as lean as I got under boost). So I'm upgrading the valves so that I can make sure the head seals properly and the valves don't fry out completely on me in less than 10K.

Good Info.

I noticed that mine were heat scored in the exaust ports. That's why I got a EGT this time, I'm curious to see how it reacts to WOT...

How much for the set and were there any types of preps other than getting them cleaned up...

The Ferrea valves will come fully backcut, margined, swirl polished, etc. So they will be straight drop in (the machinst should in theory check the angles and the roundness before installation... but it isn't absoluteyl necessary, just a good thing to do).

A full set of the Ferrea's I should be able to sell at about 625. Lesser alloy's and high enough volume and that price can be cut down a long way. That is the intake and exhaust... if you just want one side it'd be half that price.

I was surprised to see my valves as fried as they were becaus everyone always thought my EGT's were super low as I considered it to be "high" when I crossed 750C and other people were running well past 850C.

Two things:

1) Bump and watch the first pages as I'll do a major update in the next week. I'll bump then again as well.

2) Brian, I finally saw the Sexy Party episode :D

of the fried ones or the new ones when I get them?

EDIT:

Here are the fried valves:
attachment.php

Last edited:
yellerandahalf said:
Ouch, fried! That's no good! I'm looking at running 15-17psi on the street, opinions on whether or not this is an issue at this level?
-Mateo
1. Rods
2. Pistons
3. MPI
4. GT-28
5. Luck

yellerandahalf said:
Ouch, fried! That's no good! I'm looking at running 15-17psi on the street, opinions on whether or not this is an issue at this level?
-Mateo
yeah it'll be an issue... this motor was typically run rich and at around 12-14 psi max. Highest it ever saw was a couple dyno pulls at 16 psi... soo.. :)

If you need some ferrea valves though I'll be able to provide within the next month :)

crazy updates turf. so figure you'll be spending like $10g's in motor, tranny, and axle work huh? This is what I plan to do to my girl when I get the money, which will probably be never or in about 5 or 6 years. lol

Aren't those Toga bearings for race applications? If they are, then that typically means they were not meant to last very long.

I'm planning to use the stock ones for that reason. I have heard negative things about the lifespan.

Back