Strange noises during cooldown?

peepsalot

Contributor
:
Black 03 MSP
My car makes all kinds of crazy noises after I turn it off. Does this happen to other people. There is a ticking, which I guess is the metal settling from the change in temperature, I think this is normal cause I've heard it on other cars.

But the one that bothers me is this weird hissing coming from the engine bay at totally random times, the car could be off for 10 minutes, and all the sudden it starts making this weird noise, kinda like hissing, almost whistling, or like some fluid/air is spraying. I don't know what the hell it could be and it freaks me out.

yea, my car does that also, ive always wondered what in the hell that noise is and why it does it....can anyone help us or anyone else with the strange and odd sound?

Maybe you leaking something? and it's dripping onto something hot in the engine?. But speaking of strange noises anyone with an injen intake hear a low vibrating fart noise whe letting off really slowly at around 4k rpms? Or just accelerating at a decent pace letting the rpms go past 4k? It usually happens aroudn that. I'm guessing it's the injen but not sure, I'm no worried about it case the car runs perfect. Just wondering what the hell it is cause it sounds stupid.

Bremmer said:
Maybe you leaking something? and it's dripping onto something hot in the engine?. But speaking of strange noises anyone with an injen intake hear a low vibrating fart noise whe letting off really slowly at around 4k rpms? Or just accelerating at a decent pace letting the rpms go past 4k? It usually happens aroudn that. I'm guessing it's the injen but not sure, I'm no worried about it case the car runs perfect. Just wondering what the hell it is cause it sounds stupid.

havent heard it yet, but when ever i shift i here like a mix of a turkey noise and a hiss, but thats just when i shift and step on the gas, i get farts but thats only in my exhaust when it reaches low rpms it makes like a pop sound, dont know why it might come from the intake though

MSP#735 said:
yea, my car does that also, ive always wondered what in the hell that noise is and why it does it....can anyone help us or anyone else with the strange and odd sound?
i get a hissing noise when i shut off my car, but thats just the air going out of the injen intake tube i have

Yes and most cars do. There are a zillion parts in your engine, many made out of different materials that all have different expansion rates and they are all cooling down. Not unusual.

i hear it too, but not for too long. i think its the compressor blades spinning after exhaust gases stop feeding the turbine; it does have a ball bearing center.

dont forget we have watercooling as well, it create a natural vacumme to the center section when the cars off. so you could be hearing coolant wooshing. and for the hiss i think most cars have it , it could be something holding pressure then it releases untill you start the car and start the cycle over. i wouldnt worry anyhow. its normal.

rocketspeed said:
Yes and most cars do. There are a zillion parts in your engine, many made out of different materials that all have different expansion rates and they are all cooling down. Not unusual.
werd. its normal

rocketspeed said:
Yes I know, the metal creaks and tinks and all sorts of stuff and I understand that is normal. But I have never heard of a material that makes hissing spraying sounds when it cools.

I just noticed the hissing noise you're describing today. Happened about 2mins after I pulled the car up on ramps to change the oil and shut it off. Definately not the turbo coming to rest, could hear that quite well under the car after shut-down. My best guess is something to do with the cooling system. I can't imagine anything holding vacuum for that long, except possibly the brake booster. Something new to keep and eye/ear on.

The turbo is designed to pull oil through it as it cools, according to the info on our little T25 nugget.

My MP3 does the same thing. Even my friends from work heard it I told them it was the "NOS" jokingly. Well i guess it's normal and if you guys can hear the same "hissing" noise then i won't worry about it.

It's more than likely condensation from around the a/c lines falling onto a hot engine part and evaporating, like when you pour water on a hot pan.

Back