my P5 shudders when its cold.

mespinop5

:rolleyes: my p5 shudders before I completely release the cluth pedal on the first gear. This usually happens in the morning or when the engine is cold. Has anyone of you guys had this problem??

(yippy) Hey over here....me too!!

I get the same shudder, when the engine is cold, if I'm a little to quick on the clutch. After driving for a couple of minutes its gone. I just baby it a little when its cold and haven't really thought much of it.

mespinop5 said:
:rolleyes: my p5 shudders before I completely release the cluth pedal on the first gear. This usually happens in the morning or when the engine is cold. Has anyone of you guys had this problem??
This is (although of course you have no way of knowing it) "old news." The shudder is normal on our cars, it's related to several things.
First, a cold clutch plate and flywheel is a cold clutch plate and flywheel, all manuals experience this to some degree.
But mostly, it's due to the higher revs of our vehicle at startup, which is also related to the "rough" sound of our mazdas during startup.

The higher-rev startup is not harmful to the car, it's just trying to warm the cats up for emissions purposes.

As far as the jumping goes, be careful. There is no flaw in the car, and no change to be made. You just have to be careful when you are driving cold (maybe give it 20 seconds warmup time). Every time the wheels hop, you can cause damage to your powertrain (engine/tranny).

Mazda has acknowledged the problem with the "rough" idle at startup (which, as I said, also is the main force behind the cold wheel-hop), and hinted at a ECU reprogramming, but as of yet nothing has materialized.

Just drive conservatively during the cold period. Engage the clutch more slowly and dont shift above 3k.

Back