how did u guys get such low prices??

tttP5

I've been reading the forum and some of u guys got amazingly good deals on your P5.... I dunno how u guys do it .... please share some of your strategies so I may use them on my future new car purchase.

I think i way overpaid compared to u guys.... got my silver one month after the 02 p5 came out, moonroof and lojack, 5 spd.... and it costed me like 19XXX out the door..... s***.... if I got it for some of the prices u guys paid I could be spending 3000 on mods.... sigh.....

Well, I bought mine as a dealer demo with 5400 miles in it for $14,650

You just have to KNOW what they can be had for elsewhere before you dare approach ANY dealership or you will be easy pickin's for the sales staff there. I had a "firm price" over the internet of $15,600 for a brand new, base mode car (no options) so when the sales guy showed me the used one (in the exact color I wanted - Silver - and equipped exactly as I wanted - no options) I told him if he could beat my "new price" on the "used" car by $1,000, I'd take it - He did and I did.

Don

Don said:
Well, I bought mine as a dealer demo with 5400 miles in it for $14,650

You just have to KNOW what they can be had for elsewhere before you dare approach ANY dealership or you will be easy pickin's for the sales staff there. I had a "firm price" over the internet of $15,600 for a brand new, base mode car (no options) so when the sales guy showed me the used one (in the exact color I wanted - Silver - and equipped exactly as I wanted - no options) I told him if he could beat my "new price" on the "used" car by $1,000, I'd take it - He did and I did.

Don

Same here...$14,750 w/4200 miles w/auto (wife's car), 6-disk, perimeter alarm, wheel locks, ABS, side airbags, sunroof (talk about depreciation).

I go to carsdirect.com, get their price and then go to the dealers and get them to beat it. Works every time.

I bought my car fully loaded with 45 miles for 17,900. I first told them I wanted no extended warranty. They argued I would need it, I said politely "is that your way of admitting that this car will break down on me, that you are selling me junk?" - never willing to admit they sell a poor product they deferred. I then told them to forget the extra "services" like etching and undercoating, etc.

Then you let them stew for a month. They called once a week and each time I told them I was still looking at other vehicles first. I told them I might swing with the Pontiac Vibe based on financing (complete BS).

You have to pull and tug a little bit with these dealers. It normally takes my father from 5pm until midnight to finalize the papers. I can at least say I am not that bad.

After putting 6000 down, and paying the taxes / fees, I was able to get 2% and make a payment of about 240 - 250 USD a month. Since I was a graduate, I got the six months deferred billing as well. Pontiac is still calling me :)

hey, Captain KRM P5

Don't forget their graduate program, they cut you a $500 cheque right? Good for intake and exhaust and some speed tickets..;)

I find out the invoice online, went to the dealer and said I would pay 100 over invoice. They agreed. I then got the 750 rebate, and I was sitting with a brand new 2002.5 P5 for 16,000 + tax and title.

I baught both of mine on DECEMBER 28th.....by gettting them before the end of the year it was going to save the dealer a BUTT LOAD of money NOT having them on his lot....if they were on his lot and not purchased before the end of the year HE was going to have to be paying taxes on his STOCK.....I used that as a tool to lower the price of my car as well. and it worked.

Sticker for mine was 21,000 and I paid 17,800.

That was because the dealership screwed up on their financing....long story.....i ended up paying 500 under invoice.

Sticker on my car was $19,300 and got it for $16,300. The salesman I dealed with had only been working there for about a month. He couldn't make me a deal. I went back and talked the internet sales manager and he got me the deal I wanted. I said I wanted a $300 a month payment and they said you can't get that car for $300 a month. I said all I want is a moonroof, 5spd, and a color of red, yellow, or silver. I don't care about the rest. The rest is history and I have a red fully loaded P5 for $300 a month. You have to find a salesman to work with you. It also might be the fact that the next month they were to sell every mazda left on the lot to another dealership. They became a ford dealership after that.

sticker was $20,800 and I paid $14,500 +TTL. It helps to know the sales manager. It's also good when your family has bought 8 cars in 8 years from that dealership... :D

I love my P5(silverp5)

It's important to do your homework first before you arrive to the dealership. Edmunds.com is a good place to start. They give you all the info you need plus prices on the options and the target price you should ask for. I also used Carsdirect.com as another source to compare prices. Carsdirect.com is really good because you can pretend you're buying from them by selecting all the options you want, and they'll tell you the MSRP, invoice, and their price for all the options you chose. For example: my silver 2002.5 P5 was selected with the sport automatic (AT4) and car mats, since all the P5's I looked at had car mats. Before taxes, my car came out to be 16,608 invoice, 17,995 MSRP, and Cardirect.com's price of 17,108 (excluding the 750 rebate because I chose the low financing and you can't combine both). Depending on what car you're looking for, you have to determine if it's possible to get that car below invoice. Usually luxury cars and Hondas are difficult to do so, unless it's towards its last year of production. However, with the P5, it's easy to get it below invoice. Since 16,608 was the invoice, I decided to shoot for 16,500. It's not too below invoice, and it was a nice round number to work with. Most of the dealerships now have salespeople, who tell you about the car, and sales managers, who actually gives you the prices. In my case, this was true. The sales guy came to me with a price of 17,800 from his manager. I said, "Yeah right, that's not even close to what I want. I want 16,500. I have the down payment in my pocket. If I can't get it at 16,500, forget about it." So he went back to the sales manager and came back to me with more numbers: first 17,500 then 16,800. When he gave me the 16,800 deal and said he can't go any lower, I stood up, smiled, and said, "Thanks but I think I'll just go somewhere else." The salesman was disappointed and begged me to stay and let him try one more time. And I finally got the price I want. So, first know what numbers you're dealing with. Know the invoice and msrp with your options. Second, show them that you like the car, you're serious about getting it, but not in love with the car. In other words, you really like it, but you're not willing to give up anything for it. And of course, be strong. Stand up to them and don't back down. If they let you leave, it's their lost. You have other dealers and worse comes to worst, you can always come back. It's a big investment, and it's your hard earned money. YOU decide how much you want to spend.

Which dealer did you get your car? you really get a good deal, bro...I think now it's the time to get a better one on 2002.5, isn't it?

Best

Jason

It's all a game. Some dealers will use different tactics to get you to pay more for the car. I researched the car on CarsDirect.com and went to the dealer with their price and said "What's your best offer"? Then say "Okay thanks, I'm going to check with Dealer B and see what their best offer is". Then the dealer will likely give you a lower offer, keep repeating until you get them down to where you'd like to be. Once you have a sale price you are comfortable with, you can start talking financing and down payments. Most dealers will want to pressure you by asking if you are willing to "buy the car today". Don't fall for that crap. And don't give them information about you. Keep them focused on the car and the sale price. They usually like to ask how much you are going to give down and whether or not you have a trade-in so that they can make up for their losses. For instance, they may give you less money for your trade-in in order to make up for the discount on the car, etc. The point is to go to the dealer with a plan and stick to it. Don't be intimidated and walk away. Never ever buy your car the first day. Take your time and really think about the offer.

I don't think I did bad for myself either. My yellow protege 5 is the newer version with the sport automatic and moon roof. It lists for $18,685 and invoices for $17,192. I got it using an employee plan which was only a whopping $2 below invoice price. The good thing was there were no admininstrative add on fees. I also lowered the price even more by taking advantage of the $750 rebate. I've got accumulated credit from a credit card account when buying a Ford product so I should get another $700-800 off to finalize my cost.

I think I happened to make the plunge at the right time. Yellow cars were starting to show up at various dealerships. It was a matter of how you wanted your car equipped, how many dealerships you were willing to visit, and who wanted your business the most. We worked with 2 dealerships and neither were going to lower their prices. Instead, they throw in options. I ended up with a free factory alarm system and moon roof deflector. I also got them to throw in the showroom picture for my son's wall. The other dealership tried to offer me free teflon coating and a $100 gas car. A few days later the manager at the latter dealership left me a message saying that the offer was off and if I wasn't in a rush to buy a car, he wasn't in a rush to sell me a car. Can you believe???? His loss, my gain.

I ended up getting the car with the moonroof, sport transmission, wheel locks and free alarm and moonroof deflector vs. no moonroof, sport transmission, wheel locks, alarm system and 6 CD changer and free teflon coating and gas card.

Now I'm Zooming. M.J.

hey LambOfSilence

The graduate program, they gave me the choice of 6 months no pmt/no interest or a check. Since I got some money off the car and below sticker, I went for the six months deferred instead. Next month will be my first payment (agony!)

I got a silver p5..5 speed all extras including polished chrome wheels, moon-roof and deflector, 6 disk changer, cargo tray, etc for $17, 350 plus ttl and I got the 0% financing for 48 months as well.

pickupjason said:
Which dealer did you get your car? you really get a good deal, bro...I think now it's the time to get a better one on 2002.5, isn't it?

Best

Jason

I got my 2002.5 Silver P5 at Irvine Mazda. It's almost like a ghost town there most of the time. The salesman I delt with was Randy Thompson. He's a pretty cool guy who used to be in the Marines I believe. I think if you deal with him, you'd do pretty well. He didn't give me any bull about anything. He just asked for the price I want and gave counter offers. And yes, right now is a pretty good time to get the 2002.5 cuz it's near the end of the year for it. I believe the 2003 is coming out next month but it's basically the same as the 2002.5. The only difference is the options packaging. For example, with the 2003, you can get abs and side airbags as a stand alone option for around $500. Which is much cheaper and doesn't require you to purchase the moonroof too. There's also a new combination package where the moonroof and 6-disc cd-changer is sold together. I don't remember how much. The smoked headlights are only available in Canada, I believe. Any questions let me know. I have Randy's phone number too if you need it.

Full of s***

I think some of you guys are full of s***, I work for Ford, and I get S-plan. And some of the prices you guys are quoting are below S-plan. And S-plan is like 3% over cost, well below the dealer invoice.

Re: Full of s***

jhanson9 said:
I think some of you guys are full of s***, I work for Ford, and I get S-plan. And some of the prices you guys are quoting are below S-plan. And S-plan is like 3% over cost, well below the dealer invoice.

Well then, working for Ford (i assume a dealership), you should know that sometimes dealers will take a hit in order to achieve an ulterior motive. In my case, it was to keep my family's business at that dealership - they know I'll be buying another car from them in the future. Other times, they have already made plenty of money on other cars and they can afford to move a car for below invoice to get it off the lot. Regardless, I assure you they're not losing anything in the long run.

Back