***Help, Circuit City guy**

ROSB

:
Mazda 3 2004 & Infiniti G35
Hi Guys.

Here is my dilemma

I spoke to a Circuit City car Stereo installer and he said that
installing a set of 4 5x7 Infiniti speakers with an 4 channel amp
will not make my current stock setup sound better.

He said its because the cars stock stereo doesnt throw out enough
wattage.

Is he correct, I thought doing that option above Will make my sound a bit better.

you're adding an amp to drive those speakers, he doesn't know what he's talking about
i'd go for 6x9s but all the same...

circuit city guy, that should explain your question of if he knows what he's talking about....now, not all are idiots but most are.

yea dude he's full of s***. If you ADD the 4 channel amp and the 4 new speakers it will sound better.

BUT if you have the stock stereo still then adding an amp could be a bad idea, MOST of the time stock stereos do not have the connectors (rca's) to add an aftermarket amp. Your new amp would have to have high power inputs to match up with the stock stereo....but doing that sucks. You want to go low level (RCA) into the amp.....which means aftermarket radio.

Maybe what he's saying is the stock stereo will not push the new after market speakers...they could be inefficiant (sp).

II-Savy said:
yea dude he's full of s***. If you ADD the 4 channel amp and the 4 new speakers it will sound better.

BUT if you have the stock stereo still then adding an amp could be a bad idea, MOST of the time stock stereos do not have the connectors (rca's) to add an aftermarket amp. Your new amp would have to have high power inputs to match up with the stock stereo....but doing that sucks. You want to go low level (RCA) into the amp.....which means aftermarket radio.

Maybe what he's saying is the stock stereo will not push the new after market speakers...they could be inefficiant (sp).

yes, that sounds like what heis talking about, because I told him that I dont want to change my stereo to an aftermarket one.

I can still do the 4 channel amp and 4 speakers with the stock and amp and It Will sound better correct?

I think he was also saying that I wont be able to use the Full capacity of the amp and new door speakers...I told him as long as its better than the stocks. Im cool

ROSB said:
yes, that sounds like what heis talking about, because I told him that I dont want to change my stereo to an aftermarket one.

I can still do the 4 channel amp and 4 speakers with the stock and amp and It Will sound better correct?

I think he was also saying that I wont be able to use the Full capacity of the amp and new door speakers...I told him as long as its better than the stocks. Im cool

I just finished an install of 5x7 infinity 6800cs (front) and 6802cf (rear) with a 40x4 RMS amp using high-level inputs, also 120 RMS to a 12" sub. It sounds 100 times better than stock, I promise you. Circuit City Guy is just trying to sell you an aftermarket HU without realizing there is no commercial dash kit out yet.. he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I agree that the system would sound another 100 times better with an aftermarket HU w/ 3 4V+ pre-outs and high/low pass etc.. but sticking with the stock HU for now is the only option w/o custom work.

Go for the infinitys and a 4ch amp, you won't regret it. But read up on this forum and use ebay to get the most bang for your buck. Good luck!

HI, i was in the same dilemna that you and i decided to buy a rockford fosgate amp (900w) with a 12" subs and 4 6x9 and I did not change the Head Unit. I just bought a special adaptor (which I dont know the name in english) that allows me to make it play all together and it does sound really better. (nana)

Wow, that's all I can say... wow.

Ever hear of a LOC? That's the little thingy that allows you to hook you your mazda3 stock head unit to your amp. I'd never suggest people use speaker level inputs unless they simply can't afford the $5 or $10 for a decent Adjustable line out converter (LOC).

When I was in the Mobile audio industry, I used to be like that CC salseman, I would personally suggest that people don't try to use the factory head unit in any way, shape, or form, because the audio quality was so bad back then (this was in the early to mid '90s). However, the audio quality of the mz3 head unit CD section isn't bad at all (tuner sux). So you can actually setup a nice system using the stock head unit, and enjoy pretty good audio quality in the process.

6 x 9s.. I would of never thought of putting them in the factory 5 x 7 locations, because of the plastic molded interior door supports. I'd be afraid of a real mess trying to get them to fit behind the door panels correctly.

I'd be interested in pics from anyone with a 3 that's put 6 x 9s in factory locations.

Back to the original poster's queston. Yes the salesman was talking out his @ss and IS clueless, avoid like the plague. Yes, it's possible to have a good sounding system using the factory head unit. The real weak link in the Mz3 audio system is the crappy ford style speakers. I'm not sure if they are part of the "20% ford", but they sure look exactly like the speakers I took out of my '93 Ford Ranger....

El Ropo said:
Ever hear of a LOC? That's the little thingy that allows you to hook you your mazda3 stock head unit to your amp. I'd never suggest people use speaker level inputs unless they simply can't afford the $5 or $10 for a decent Adjustable line out converter (LOC).

Yes, I have heard of an LOC. A decent adjustable one is about $40. Considering there is a dash kit coming from Metra in the next few months I didn't think it was necessary to spend the money on something I would be using for only a short time.

This is a good thread. I always check the forum before listening to a salesman. If something can be done, Someone here probably has already done it or knows how it can be done.

Thanks!

mp5jeff said:
circuit city guy, that should explain your question of if he knows what he's talking about....now, not all are idiots but most are.
2 problems:
1. why would you replace the rear speakers only and amp them? So much for a sound stage.
2. The Mazda 3 does not have any 6x9 openings, both models are 5x7's

ROSB said:
Hi Guys.

Here is my dilemma

I spoke to a Circuit City car Stereo installer and he said that
installing a set of 4 5x7 Infiniti speakers with an 4 channel amp
will not make my current stock setup sound better.

He said its because the cars stock stereo doesnt throw out enough
wattage.

Is he correct, I thought doing that option above Will make my sound a bit better.
He's a damn moron or is trying to screw you into buying a new headunit when one is not needed. I would find another store. Once the amp is installed, it will take over powering whatever speakers it is connected too. Since its a 4 channel there is a few ways they could be setting up the system. It woulod help to know what each channel will be powering.

3junky said:
Yes, I have heard of an LOC. A decent adjustable one is about $40. Considering there is a dash kit coming from Metra in the next few months I didn't think it was necessary to spend the money on something I would be using for only a short time.
Check out www.davidnavone.com very good LOCs
If your thinking of swapping out the head unit anyways, then just get an amp with speaker level inputs for now and call it a day. Also keep in mind you can sell the LOC or keep it for future installations.

El Ropo said:
the audio quality of the mz3 head unit CD section isn't bad at all (tuner sux). So you can actually setup a nice system using the stock head unit, and enjoy pretty good audio quality in the process.
DING, DING, DING...we have a winner. Although I'd argue the quality if alot of units was good even in the mid 90's, I certainly agree that many stock units can be setup to produce equal SQ to most aftermarket units. The main downside to using the factory unit is that its just not flexable and has a lack of features.

El Ropo said:
6 x 9s.. I would of never thought of putting them in the factory 5 x 7 locations, because of the plastic molded interior door supports. I'd be afraid of a real mess trying to get them to fit behind the door panels correctly.

I'd be interested in pics from anyone with a 3 that's put 6 x 9s in factory locations.
Why in the world do people do this. For the extra time money and door modification, its simply not worth it. A 6x9 is not going to take the place of a sub and will produce only slightly more bass then a 5x7.

IMO LOC's suck giant balls. (yupnope) It's the cheese way to do it. (pukey) LOC's also add distortion. Maybe a better more expensive one is less so ....but still it's gunna add distortion. Low or line level output is the best way to go for amplification. Best cleanest sound.

This is what I got, and they work great, with very little added noise or funkiness to the audio signal.

Decent Adjustable LOC

I've got two of them to preserve fader control to front and back seat. I cranked the gains on the LOCs all the way up, and turned gains on my amps way down. Wow, sounds very good, considering I'm still using factory head unit. I don't know if I'm willing to lose the cool steering wheel controls, or the display and lighting effects just yet.

(thumb)

"with very little added noise or funkiness to the audio signal"

In my personal opinion even a little is too much. Distortion blows speakers. Any component you add to a system that adds "noise and funkiness" is a huge negitive. This is not the way to acheive(sp) clean sound. It's the hacker, cheese, ghetto way to do it.

Man I like those new Mazda 3's though. The wagon is kick ass! I like the blue.

El Ropo said:
I don't know if I'm willing to lose the cool steering wheel controls, or the display and lighting effects just yet.
(thumb)

I feel the same way. While I have this great Kenwood HU from my Civic, I love the look of the 3 interior. I really don't like the look of what some people have done to replace the HU. I got an add on for my musig keg and a remote that I will mount inthe ashtray compartment. I pretty much will have everything I need without compromising the look of the car.

Krs

El Ropo said:
This is what I got, and they work great, with very little added noise or funkiness to the audio signal.

Decent Adjustable LOC

I've got two of them to preserve fader control to front and back seat. I cranked the gains on the LOCs all the way up, and turned gains on my amps way down. Wow, sounds very good, considering I'm still using factory head unit. I don't know if I'm willing to lose the cool steering wheel controls, or the display and lighting effects just yet.

(thumb)

I think I might try this out. The only complaint I have about my current setup using HLIs is that the output seems to be low, as in the gains are almost all the way up on the amp and still pretty quiet at 27 on the radio (which is about as high as it goes w/o distortion).. Since it will be another $400+ to get the aftermarket HU in when you inlcude the dash kit, the wiring harness, and a SWIX for steering wheel controls, it may be more than a few months before I can afford it.

"with very little added noise or funkiness to the audio signal"

In my personal opinion even a little is too much. Distortion blows speakers. Any component you add to a system that adds "noise and funkiness" is a huge negitive. This is not the way to acheive(sp) clean sound. It's the hacker, cheese, ghetto way to do it.

I've always felt the same way as you do, but when I saw the purty lights and display, and steering wheel controls for the stock system, I changed my mind :)

FYI, I've got a friend who used to compete. He worked at a car audio shop, and was sponsored to build his comp systems and run them all over the midwest, at all the major Iasca sound offs, and all other major sound comps around there. He says my system sounds pretty darn clean and balanced.

Heck, I used to be in the business too, and I think it sounds pretty good myself :p

Back