Mazdaspeed MX-5: Sorely dissapointed

I guess I had better start over cuz we are way off topic now. To clear things up I would never buy an SRT-4, I was just making a price comparison point. Im not even in the market for a new car, we were just shopping for my friend and I let the sales rep sucker me in so I could take a joy ride. Im not hating on miatas. I own one and Ive loved everything about mine since Ive owned it. And Im not hating on the MSM. I did like the car. I felt right at home in it and it did handle very well. I guess all I wanted to know was if there is anyone else out there that may have hoped for smoother, bigger power.

Midehv said:
This is why I hate forums. I merely posted a topic for debate and you have to go and call me retarded. If you like the car fine, post your opinion, that was my objective, if I wanted to discuss my inteligence I would have posted accordingly. This just shows how immature you really are.
Welcome to this site.

Come on, Midehv. You can't POSSIBLY let one person's "retarded" comment run you off. ?!?!? Count how many people have posted well thought out, polite posts in this thread. THEY are who really counts, right?

All I can say is after I test drove the MSM, I told my brother to buy it, or I would give him my MSP and buy it. Had the car for a week now, nothing like cruzin with the top down on the highway, handles mint, has great pickup, and a nice interior. Going back to a comment made earlyer about the srt-4, they are nice cars, test drove one before the MSM, but when it comes down to it, I would rather have a great balance of speed and handleing, than high speed and less than expected handleing.

I was really dissapointed in the MSM also. TONS of lag! My brother's 10ae was much smoother....

Midehv said:
I was cruisin a dealership the other day for the fun of it and a salesperson suckered me into talkin about the new mazdaspeed MX-5. He claimed that he could get me into it for a price that I new he couldn't so I played along and took if for a ride. The sales rep claimed that this thing was absolutely hot. I was SORELY DISSAPOINTED. Im not sure what size the turbo was but there was all sorts of turbo lag. It wasnt boosting until nearly 4500 rpm. It lost boost during the shift and had to be re-spooled. The spool up was very rough; not the smooth feeling that we turbo fans all love. It only puts down 151 horses at the wheels which is miserable for a turbo 4 cylinder. To boot they claim its so hot right now that they can tack on an extra $5000 dollars to the msrp (totaling nearly $30,000). Ive owned a few turbo charged cars and have driven several more and this is by far the worst. And to bring my story to a close the salesperson came back with a price of 620 a month when he claimed he could get me in it for 380 a month, so I walked. Thanks for the joy ride anyhow Howie! I guess Im just trying to see what other people think who have driven it. Let me know.

Ehh this thread is old but what the hell.... I'll bite. Both MSM's I have driven have been fully spooled by 3600 RPM if not lower. And they pulled HARD for the amount of stock boost being fed them. They also were just as tossable if not more than any other Miata I have driven. Body roll was minimal and the oversteer was predictable and very easy to control. And if you have owned several cars you would know that turbos spool down between shifts

If any dealer says a car is SO HOT they can tack on money. WALK. Don't b**** about it and don't believe it. If you pay more than sticker for any major production model you are an .....oh wait you are sensitive to name calling... you are not the best consumer in the world. There is always some dealer somewhere thats dying to unload something. There were delaers in SoCal trying to dump EVO8's for 24,900 last year.

Oh and comparing an Neon(in any form) to a Miata (in any form) is RETARDED. (Sorry I couldn't avoid it)

Midehv said:
I guess I had better start over cuz we are way off topic now. To clear things up I would never buy an SRT-4, I was just making a price comparison point. Im not even in the market for a new car, we were just shopping for my friend and I let the sales rep sucker me in so I could take a joy ride. Im not hating on miatas. I own one and Ive loved everything about mine since Ive owned it. And Im not hating on the MSM. I did like the car. I felt right at home in it and it did handle very well. I guess all I wanted to know was if there is anyone else out there that may have hoped for smoother, bigger power.
JESUS CHRIST! WTF do you want for 26k? ITS A BALANCED CAR!!! NOT A VIPER!!

tonkabui said:
and the SRT-4 is a neon. minus the engine, tranny, seats, and wheels, it's a neon through and through. any talk otherwise is like saying a civic with an H22 swap is no longer a civic.
Thats like saying the type-r is just an integra or an MSP is a protege through and through or the R32 a golf through and through...

give credit were credit is due.

The Bowler said:
<~~just got an '03 Evo8 for $27,8K otd. appx $1K over the cost of the MX-5...wanna race?

You are an idiot. If thats the case I just bought a used BPU Supra and installed a 120 dollar BCC and 350 Dollar EBC and still paid over 3K less than your EVO. Wanna Race?

Thats like saying the type-r is just an integra or an MSP is a protege through and through or the R32 a golf through and through...

give credit were credit is due.

I try to avoid ripping on the Neon too much but...

Your argument appears to hold water until you take into account the fact that the Integra, Golf and Protege were all very well balanced very highly rated cars (both critically and ownerwise) before being factory tuned

The Neon was well...... a neon.

I am kinda toying with the idea of trading my MSP in on a MSM! I wonder what are the advantages/disadvantages to each car and would there really be a driving difference between the two, which would justify the cost increase.

I wonder what kind of reply's this will get (dark) (protest) (hand) (pissed) (wedge) (stooges) (braindead (rant) (shocked) (smash) (no) (argh) (monkey) (screwy) (chair)

Just test drive it. That's all I can say. :D There's something RWD does for me...mebbe it's the drift capability! ;)

Apocman, Ive been having to borrow my brothers MSM to get to work since the MSP is in the shop, MSM is definately more fun to drive, and before my cat fell off on the MSP, my brother was wipping my ass on the highway
Under the hood looks alot nicer as well, if you get a chance goto the dealership, pop the hood, sit in the car, tranny is way better than the MSP as well, as Mazdaspeedgirl said, just test drive it, you will want to leave with it (yes)

The Bowler said:
<~~just got an '03 Evo8 for $27,8K otd. appx $1K over the cost of the MX-5...wanna race?
To bad I sold the TII, I coulda smoked you in a 10k dollar car.

My mother has a 02 Miata, I dont fit in it very well so there's no way I would drive one on a daily basis. The one thing I think that the MSM has over the MSP is that it appears that Mazda took more care in the addition of a turbo to the Miata. At least the reveiws I have read and the pics I have seen make it seem so.

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
You guys are nuts. :p Everyone has their opinion, and mine is that the MSM is a great little car. The boost does kick in hard at 3K and it's perfect for what it's meant to be--an autocross car. :)
Turbo is not my particular choice for auto-x, granted I drive an MSP. To be honest with you, I'd much rather be in a regular miata if I was driving in an auto-x course. Turbo powerbands are too irregular, especially when boost kicks in, and can throw the car's balance off mid corner. It's not a bad car, but I beg to differ that Mazda didn't have auto-x in mind when they developed the MSM. I've also heard that unflashed S2000's have the same problem mid corner with VTEC kicking in almost like a turbo would. The sudden surge of power just isn't good for a car's balance in a corner.

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
Just test drive it. That's all I can say. :D There's something RWD does for me...mebbe it's the drift capability! ;)
I don't mean to pick on you, but I've always viewed drifting as the slow way around a track. Unless of course you're on a rally course. Drifting just seems like a showoff sport and waste of tires...you're into auto cross.. don't you agree?

Back