Gas mileage?

Okay, got my 5 door with 35 miles on it, all were mine from test driving. Anyway, the first tank I got about 305 miles before the light came on, so I filled it. It took 12 gallons almost exactly, so there is 2.5 left. Now, 45 miles later, it's already at 3/4 of a tank..mathmaticaly 45*4=180, this doesn't make sense. If this indeed the mileage I will obtain, back to the dealer I go. Right now, I'm scratching it off to break in. I don't take her past 4K, and drive highway about 18 miles per day, and city about 10 miles per day. Anyone else having the same experience?

netranger6 said:
Now, 45 miles later, it's already at 3/4 of a tank..mathmaticaly 45*4=180, this doesn't make sense.
The gas gauge isn't a calibrated device. You can't trust it's accurcacy in the same way you could trust a tire pressure gauge or thermometer. The ONLY accurate way to gauge your fuel consumption is to measure how many miles you have driven by how many actual gallons of fuel you used to drive those miles.

Based on your information you drove 305 miles on 12 gallons. That's about 25mpg. I get about 23mpg on my S sedan w/ auto.

i cannot partake in this discussion because my gas mileage is horendece (spelling) but i FLOG the gas alot so anyhoo, just my problem....
shag' (wink)

I have 3300 miles on my 3 and it seems the more it gets broke in the better the gas mileage. At first I was getting only 22 mpg and on my last tank I got 29 on the highway.

I drive about 3-4 hours/ day, and have about 5200 miles on my 2-month-old hatchback automatic. I chronically get right at 25mpg. Mix of city/ highway/ country backroads. The gauge is VERY optimistic on the top end, i.e. when it shows half-full on the gauge, it is actually closer to 1/4 tank left. That last 1/4 tank (from showing 1/4-tank til it gets down to empty) is about 20 miles. Manufacturers do this intentionally to make you think your MPG kicks ass.

Just filled up today...

27.9 mpg on mostly highway. Automatic w/ ~2500 miles. Tried to keep it under 65 MPH though.

Better than when it was brand new, though got about 32 mpg on a trip out of town.

Back