I Made It!

MikeyK 5

:
2003 Black Mica Mazdaspeed #34
I got accepted into Teach for America! :D
I don't know where I'll be teaching yet, but i now have a job as a history or possibly english teacher!
My second choice for locations was Chicago, so who knows, I might even still be around!
WOOOOOO ;)

Congrats Mike that's totally a sweet deal that you got in. Good luck keeping those inner city kids under control...jk...you'll be great! And hopefully you'll still be around the area(as in illinois in illinois somewhere)

awesome dude. i think youd be a cool teacher. as long as you use phrases like "uncultured sluts".

eg:
WHAT THE **** DO YOU MEAN YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT LOUIS XVI....YOU KIDS ARE UNCULTURED SLUTS

I'll be a UIUC History Grad in one more semester.
Thanks for the, uh, thanks, everyone!

probably high-school, maybe middle school
i'll know my exact location, grade, and subject in early January

Congrats! Even though the pays not that great (never understood that), its really rewarding when you see the kids get what your putting across. When my wife was teaching high school, there were days she would come home on this incredible high 'cause she really connected with the kids. It was really great to see.

How long of a committment do you have?

Mikey, get a job at my high school. Give me good grades for no reason. Thanks. :D

That would be cool though, except giving me false grades, that w ould be cool but it wouldn't really do me any good.

Two year commitment. Good chance I'll get a masters on the cheap while doing it, too.

I miss Champaign alot. :'( Alot of memories there + alot of nights I can't remember. Does it still smell like grease?

That's awesome! I understand if you specialize in special ed or reading, you can pretty much write your own ticket.

If you do manage to get to Chicago, UIC's master of ed program is pretty awesome. My wife has her masters from there, and its opened up some pretty good doors for her.

+ friction said:
I miss Champaign alot. :'( Alot of memories there + alot of nights I can't remember. Does it still smell like grease?

Actually it tends to smell mostly like pig s***, if the prevailing winds are from the south. Otherwise, its odor is pleasantly indistinct.

MikeyK 5 said:
Actually it tends to smell mostly like pig s***, if the prevailing winds are from the south. Otherwise, its odor is pleasantly indistinct.

LOL - I spent two years on Florida Avenue right by the farms...know what you talking about. ;)

I was referring to the Kraft plant. It always smelled like crisco.

Anyway, congrats again and enjoy those winter winds!

Hell yeah, I spent a good part of grade school at Florida Ave. Apts. lol.

Congrat's Mikey. My mom's a Prof. of Ed. at Milikin and my boy just graduated from there a couple of years back. I remember all the stress he had trying to get a job. But it all worked out he's over at Mt. Zion now. You are in a really good spot having a job before graduation.

If you do get a chance to teach in Central IL (Mahomet, Champaign, Monticello, or Mt. Zion) take it. You can be set for a good career. Just my two cents.

On another pleasant note, my good friend Adam down here at UIUC also made it in! There's a decent chance we might both be teaching in the same city, which would really kick some ass! :D

congrats mikey, you have my envy and appreciation! you've worked hard and you deserve this. i've no doubt in my mind that you'll finely shape/warp the minds of our youth.

hershey's. chocolate. syrup.

Back