What's YOUR lame excuse...

I don't regret getting an auto at all... I'm not driving a sports car... its a protege 5.

Dont get me wrong, this car is great, but i dont feel the need for stick....

i often regret not getting the manual, but when i'm stuck in rush hour traffic, which by the way is almost the worst in the world here in boston, i'm glad i have it. i never had the "chatter" problem, that i don't regret!! my auto has held up well to, i drive the car kinda hard....49K miles not one issue!

no offense, but to all the P5 owners who like their automatics for the reason that they don't see the need for this type of car, with this kind of power, probably have never driven a MSP or an MP3.... this car would not be right with out a stick.

I got it for the same deal as the standard and thought the resale value being higher when it came time to sell it...

auto trans...

You know, I used to regret this auto,,,but now, even being a strick manual guy (still own a 5spd VW Diesel), I am glad for the auto. Being stuck in city traffic sucks with the manual and my buddy with a P5 has burned out his clutch already once in the same traffic (and yea, he knows how to drive them correctly- Mazda paid for it anyway, said the clutch was weak on his particular run of vehicles- go figure)

It is personal preference and NEITHER is wrong! Some of you guys swear by manual, some by auto. Me, I could go either way on these Protege's since both systems have had their share of problems listed on this sight.

Depending on the car, I might go auto again or 5spd. It really depends on the car and how it drives. Does it grease through the gears smooth and strong (auto) and/or does the 5speed shift clear and true and does the clutch feel strong and like it will last awhile and not like a limp hand-shake according to some on this sight about the P5. These are factors to consider.......

Some small cars do drive better w/ auto that is crisp than a 5spd with a limp clutch set-up on the exact same car.

Fact remains.....I like BOTH! And so do a few of you other dudes.

+ friction said:
What's YOUR lame excuse for going with AT? And don't you regret it now?

Is it availability? The fact that you or your codriver "can't" drive a stick? Laziness?

Mine? Rush hour traffic - I can't juggle my smokes, coffee, radio surfing and a stick in stop & go traffic that early in the morning.

And yes, I do regret it.

:wtf: was I thinking??

I have been driving a stick since I was 16 (1980 or so), I have also owned two auto tranny cars.

I have the "spotronic" style of tranny now...and LOVE it. Best of both worlds.....when I want an auto I have it, when I want to bring the car up to redline or downshift for a turn or to slow down, I can.

I didn't think I would like it at first, but I love it.

an automatic 400hp supra would haul ass.
a manual 230hp supra would still haul ass.
an automatic 130hp protege eats ass.
a manual 130hp protege is still slow, buts its way better then an automatic. unless you have a car with over 200+hp, automatics are a waste.

Well, it's not like you can't *learn* to drive manual. It's a learned skill, not something one is born with...sheesh...

I have a stick as well. Sometimes when I'm in traffic, I regret my decision...for a second! Then I remember how much fun it is to tear up the twisties with my 5 speed, and that seems to help.

I also like driving a manual becuase it feels like I am interacting with the car more, not just pushing a pedal. ATs seem kinda
passive to me.

Just my $0.02

Heel 'n Toe downshifts, the engine rising in revs and then punching it out of the twisty turns....

Lighting up the (stock) tires with ease and style...

The t'eefs pass it by - look for automatics which are 'easy to drive'...

eh. It was a deal-breaker unless it was equipped with a manual...

I love my auto/sport shift do hickey. Yes it is traffic and the fact that a manual just only really enjoyable at the track, since I don't street race anymore. Gas mileage is almost the same nowdays with modern autos.
Plus the sport shift adds almost the same control over revs as a manual on the track.

So no I am loving my auto!

Originally Posted by: leungwingkei
I drive an auto cuz I need one hand on the wheel and the other to pick my nose. =)

(lol)

I almost got an automatic because I wanted a black mica ES instead of a red LX, but the red one was the only one left with a manual so I got it instead, and I still have not regret it since. Manuals are so much more fun to drive, escpecially in small cars! ex: Protege!:p

-Dan

I couldn't understand why all my friends were pushing me to a manual when I was car shopping, the MSP is my first manual transmission and I've seen the light....never going back to auto again.

M=SP^2 said:
I couldn't understand why all my friends were pushing me to a manual when I was car shopping, the MSP is my first manual transmission and I've seen the light....never going back to auto again.

the P5 was my first manual also.. and yes, i had my friends pushing on me to get the manual, and like you said, now i have seen the light and will not go back to automatic. my friends were correct.

cochizzle said:
i thinks manuals are more open road, not bumper to bumper

i'd rather be shifting through the gears!! i almost hate it on the highway once I get to 5th.. then it starts to become just another boring ride.. it's going up and down through the gears that is most fun.

like everyone else, i sit in traffic for my entire commute to and from work.. i don't regret the stick at all. before i drove a stick, i used to say the same thing, "i sit in traffic too much".. now I drive a stick in traffic daily and realize how miniscule that should be in the decision.. it's not that big of a deal having a stick in traffic..

KpaBap said:
Wouldn't the opposite make sense?
I would think so too. With a big torquey V8 and tons of power to back it up, who cares about a little lost power? ;) Hehe, that's only if you like straight line racing IMO, though. Automatic can be a pain when it doesn't go in the gear you want it to on the track!

Still, I had tons of fun in my 103HP auto protege. Slow as hell, still plenty enough to get in lots of trouble. My parents bought it for me when I was in high school.

2K3 Mazdaspeed said:
For those of you that reply with "i can't drive and eat...etc" with a 5 speed, listen to this. I saw a guy next to me today at an intersection eating a burrito with his left hand, and talking talking on his cell phone with his right hand. I wanted to bust out my camera so bad...I thought, well, he must have an AT, and he's steering with his knees. I've done it before, for a brief second to switch CD's...Well, when traffic starts rolling, he keeps the burrito in his left hand, switches the phone to his left shoulder and cocks his head sideways to keep it in place, and leans over TO SHIFT!! Holy crap. I'd like to see a woman do that without crashing...

Bring it on....:p

i have an auto, cause my 'rents paid for the car...they actually wanted manual, cause they like it way better, but my dad liked the blue, and they only had that in AT, so he bought it then :D

kinda wish i got a manual so i could really learn how to drive one, but i am not complaining!

Back