Idling and stuttering problem

RaMRoD_mp3

:
Yellow Mazda Mp3
This is a pretty long story

I drive about 150 miles to my job, 3 times a week. One morning i filled up on shell 93. Im driving to work...about halfway there, my check engine light comes on, so obviously im like wtf cause its been running great since i got it and it only has 35000 miles on it. So i think nothing of it until i return home.

On the way home, i get off the exit to my house and notice my RPM is WAY below normal and at times, so low that the battery, oil light come on trying to stall :wtf:. Also, when i tried to accelerate after this happened, there was alot of hesitation. Maybe it was bad gas?

I get home, take a ride to autozone, and get a diagnostic done. It says "EGR valve insufficient". The guy at autozone said that if you take off the valve and give it a nice scrub down with some carb/brake cleaner, this should solve your problem.

So that following weekend, my buddy and I took off the EGR valve, cleaned it out, and put it back on. Still ran like s***, at this time i was pretty upset, just cause i dont have a warranty on my car anymore and im just hoping it isnt anything major.

I get home again, and call up another one of my buddies. He heads down to my house today to check it out for me (hes a mechanic). He recommends taking a look at the spark plugs, maybe not getting the spark u need. So we take out the plugs and notice that they were burnt to hell. The plugs were almost bright white. Also he checked the gap, and it was way off what its supposed to be (.050). The plugs were around .045, one was .046. Maybe this was the problem?

Take a ride to wal-mart, buy some new plugs, get back, gap them to the right measurements, and install. Still no go.

So this is where it leaves off...my car is running really rough, almost stalling at points.

What do u think? Its the EGR? Bad Gas? something else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Definetly Sounds Like Bad Gas!! Did you get a reciet for the gas purchase? If you did..Take the car to the mechanic..and have them test the gas..If there is water (Which is what it probably is) than you can go back..and tell them to pay for damages..or you will sue!!

I used to work for a gas station..and some people had this problem!!

Chas

Its not bad gas, Bazookajoe just had his P5 serviced for the same thing. The EGR valve needs to be replaced. Look up the thread in the perfomance section by him.

yea i figured it was the EGR, but wasn't 100%

i got a price quote at autozone for 185 bucks...
any ideas on where i can find it cheaper? or is that a reasonable price? (im still learning about auto's)

hey joe

what dealer do u go to? id go to my normal dealer in attleboro, but ive had too many problems with them...

plus its pretty far from me

From a postr in his thread here is Joe's dealership that fixed his idle problem.
Champion Mazda, Brockton, MA

thanks 1st! :D

thats alot closer to me...ill give em a call tomorrow to make a appointment.

Ill let u guys know of the outcome

not to go off topic or anything but..

i saw a blue mp3 when i went up to visit my cousins in NH about a month ago. Could it have been you?

very possilby, there are several in my area though. All the other owners are knobs though!
Where was it?

Up in sunapee, but i saw the mp3 the next town over (forget the name of it)

Looked clean from the outside

I don't think I have been up there in a long time. I went to keene a few months back ut that was it lately. I am often found in southern NH.

got some bad news...

called mazda about a EGR valve and i quote
"yea, theres no more EGR valves in stock in the COUNTRY. You are the 5th person today to call me about a EGR valve."

I would have to wait about a week and a half to two weeks for one.

So im s*** out of luck...guess ill just have to find one somewhere else :wtf:

Is that from Joe's dealer?
I would call another one to double check

or buy one from Autozone and tell Mazda to pay for it; or just get a rental until yours is ready to be fixed; good luck.

Back