Does any other Protege trim have the bump/squeak?

MP3TLH

Has anyone talked to a 2001 Protege DX, LX, ES, or Protege 5 owner to see if they have the "thunk in the trunk" or "Chill shrill" also? I wonder if this could help determine if a mod Racing Beat did causes the noise or if it's an orginal Mazda part problem.

I've got a 01 LX 2.0. I've heard lots about this problem on this board. But I don't have the problem myself.

I work for a Mazda dealership and have driven all of the Protege styles. I have heard no such sounds coming from them. I think that the thunk may cause by the rigidity of the car. the car is extremely rigid and it will get a little three wheel motion going. every protege I have driven gets that 3-wheel motion when going to the gas station. it's pretty awesome to see it. I have never seen a honda get that 3-wheel motion going like a protege. they don't have squeeky shocks though.

what do you mean three wheel motion?

Attachments

• Car New Look.jpg
    Car New Look.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 32
Sorry, the "3 wheel motion" is NOT the cause of the thunk/clunk. Honda of Canada has admitted that they do know of the problem with the MP3 and the mysterious clunk sound. Apparantly japan is "working" on a fix. They think it's the shocks. Personally, I think it's something else.

I've said it 1000 times, I'll say it again, that you can make the car clunk without even driving it. Just lean on one side a LOT, and get it swaying left/right, and you'll hear it.

But, I do agree with one thing, that Honda hasn't made a great handling car in years, at least not the civics, and accords. The new Mazda's remind of the old Honda's in that they feel like they are on rails.

Honda is taking the fun out of their cars and making them more "practical"......yuck, I hate that word.

That should really read Mazda of Canada.....man, I gotta stop typing in this forum during the coffee breaks.

Back