anyone experience this?

Hey
For those who are usually in temperature's about 10 degrees (Celius) or higher, does your fan always turn on to cool the car? Today in Toronto, we reached about 15 degrees today, and i notice my fan kept on turning on! I didn't drive hard at all and it wasn't even all that hot. I'm afraid that in the summer when it reaches in the 30's that the fan will constantly be running even when i'm on the highway. why does this happen?
Anyone else experience this?

hmm check the thermostat, donno if it could have gone bad already. but then again, the car could just be like that. or it might be picking up the heat from the intercooler??? an intercooler that small is bound to get heat saturated.

The thermostat reading is correct to me. It's just below the half way mark when full warmed up. It never exceeds that. It can't be the thermostat then. I'm assume that the car is just like that at the moment. I notice there's a lot heat generated from our engines even when not driven hard.

anyone experience this?

Sure have. I noticed it for the first time today. Lower 60 degree weather... I moved a total of maybe 100 feet at 5mph and the fan went on for a solid 90 seconds. It's the first time I've ever noticed it but it's also one of the few times I didn't wait 30 seconds for the engine to cool down.

ya that ****** fan always comes on. im standing outside my car with a couple of ladies... the damn thing always turns on like sum pos, :(

In the month I've had mine, living in Central Coast CA, average temps in the 50s and 60s, the fans come on about once every 1-2 minutes on the highway. It's easy to tell: the lights flicker from the starting current on the fans. There are no starting resistors on the fan circuits, and they draw a LOT of current.

I guess it's not only me that happens to. Even after a nice 30 min highway drive, when i park and wait 30- 60 second cool down, the fan will come on. The temperature outside is around the 6 degree mark only. It's fairly cool still.....i don't understand it..
My previous car never did this. Heck, the fan wouldn't ever come on unless i was stuck in traffic not moving with the engine idling over 5 mins with 30 + degree temperatures.

47b3dd28b3127cce957783481f0e0000001610

The MSP runs hot for a car, due to the turbocharger. The lack of an efficient IC also hinders the heat dissipation. I belive that the ECU is programmed to kick the fans on at preset temps for preset timelengths. Im currently waiting to hear from my tuner shop here for a FAL fan and/or Fluidyne radiator that will fit the MSP. Also, I am ordering an Earls oil cooler for the car too. I will keep you all updated on the progress here.

turboge said:
AGR = Postwhore

Hmmm..... that's AGR#7, you silly! Besides; I am here to have fun. I feel my posts are fun sometimes, and I enjoy most of the company (yeah! you are included). I also like to share my thoughts, and provide insight, when possible. Not to mention, learn some things.

Last edited:
I believe it is because the intercooler is incorperated in the fan shroud there for if the PCM sees a rise in intake temp it says well it the owner wanted to drag race right now this intake temp is unacceptable. It seems to me that when I leave from a location after sitting it has more power then when I come to a stop at a red light and then take off

Back