Just test drove one :)

AltimaSE

I know there have been several of these "test drive impression" posts, but I thought I'd write down my impressions as I just got back from driving one.

My dad and I went together and since he had purchased a Tribute from them already they had no trouble letting him and I take out a Black Mica MSP for a drive.

My dad drove it first and then he parked and let me drive it. Both of us kept exclaiming how fast the car was. But then again both of us drive '01 155hp Altima SEs right now so the MSP is a little bit of a jump. :)

Because the MSP we were driving was already being used for test drives (it had 30 some miles on it) I did go a little over 4k so I could feel the turbo kick in. Comparing the MSP to the Spec-V (which I've also test driven) I could tell that the Spec has more torque down low, but the MSP definately seemed to put you back in the seat starting @ 4k. It really was a fun car! :) I've read reviewers that have talked about a rough ride, but I thought that the Spec-V and even my current Altima SE with a sport suspension on it have rougher, more pronounced rides than the MSP. That's not in any way saying that the MSP doesn't handle well because it definately out handles what I'm driving now and seemed a little more controlled than the Spec. I didn't hear anything as far as clunks on the one I drove, but I shouldn't have with only 30 miles.

The sales guy had heard about the 03.5s comming in Titanium and Yellow, but he didn't know anything about the Blue and Silver ones. He agreed that whichever car I end up choosing (MSP or Spec) it won't be a bad choice (they sell both Mazda and Nissan).

Overall it's gonna be tough when I have to decide in June between the two. Especially since at that point I'll probably have a Blue MSP to look at and tempt me. While driving it the lack of a sun roof or cruise control was pushed into the back of my mind when I heard the turbo whistle. :) I'll definately be on here from now until then getting impressions that will help me decide.

After actually driving one now I can really see why people LOVE their MSPs! :)

they're both great cars.

The Spec V will be easier to bargin down on...depending on where you live. IN my city the Spec V is on like a 5 month waiting list.

the MSP, however, the first and only one to come into our city lilke 3 weeks ago, is still waiting for someone to buy it.

But, (if you really want to spend out the cash) I'm not saying you take me serious on this note...but check out the infiniti FX45.

Does the 1/4 in high 14s to low 15s.

The AWD system from the Skyline GTR...and get this...goes through the slalom faster than a G35 Coupe o_O; not too bad for an SUV eh? Although it's like 2x as much as a spec v or a MSP.

But talk about bragging, pull up beside a G35 coupe and say "hah, my SUV outhandles your coupe :p"

I was choosing between the MSP and Spec-V as well and at first was leaning towards the Spec-V because it was a lot cheaper. Then I realized there was a $2900 (Canadian) option package that I would want with the Spec-V, which made it only about 2k cheaper instead of 5k. Plus, I will be leasing the car (picking up my MSP tomorrow - very excited!) and the MSP has a higher residual % than the Spec-V, therefore you are paying for a smaller portion of the total cost. Even still, the Spec-V would have been cheaper, partially due to better lease rates. But I did manage to squeeze a bit of a deal out of Mazda thanks to someone I know who owns a car leasing company, so it made it easy to spend the extra money for what everyone seems to agree is a better car.

Both are great deals...but the car I buy, has to be RWD or AWD :)

the new STi is sexy *drool*

Avoid all 2002 Specs...that's all I'll say. Even though some have been good, when I stepped from my 2003 spec to my friends 2002 spec, it was just wierd, the tranny and everything was just :/

Thanks for all the response guys. You know, I have to say that from my experience on here I kinda of like the Mazda community better than some of the ppl I've run into in the Nissan community.

Test driving an MSP sure makes me want one. :) The Nissan dealer I deal with now said they would have no problem ordering me a Spec-V exactly the way I would want it. They still have a 2002 red one sitting on their lot too, but from what I've read you DON'T want a 2002 Spec. They have just too many issues with the transmission, rings that don't seat properly, etc.

I really don't know what I'm going to do, but it's nice to know that if I choose an MSP there's great support and ppl out there to help out.

We'll see what happens in June! :)

I thnk you will find the MSP price more flexible as the 2003.5s start coming out as dealers still have alot of 2003 hanging around.

1st MP3 in NH said:
I thnk you will find the MSP price more flexible as the 2003.5s start coming out as dealers still have alot of 2003 hanging around.

God willing.
fingersx.gif

It seems that alot of people are not buying the 2003 MSPs to wait for the 2003.5 MSPs

so if you wait, you may beable to get the 2003 MSP for a good deal.

But if there are any other problems with the 2003 MSP, they may have them fixed/revised for the 2003.5 MSP.

Personally, I like the look of the 2003 better than the 2003.5

AltimaSE said:
While driving it the lack of a sun roof or cruise control was pushed into the back of my mind when I heard the turbo whistle. :)

I could not buy a car w/o cruise...which is why I'm in a P5. I go on too many long trips to suffer with out it. I also really wanted the sunroof to open up the small interior. Eventually I'll put a turbo on it, but for now I'm happy with the 130hp. It gets me from point A to point B with a smile on my face.

demands

I'm also choosing between MSP and Spec V... where I live there's a big demand on the Mazda cars. The local Mazda dealerships are selling Protege's left, right and center while the Nissan gets much less attention.

I've been to a few Mazda dealerships and they were almost all the same - "we don't have to sell you at the price you want because someone else will pay more for Protege so why don't you just go somewhere else" :mad: Tried 3 different dealerships on 3 different days and got the same result... On the other hand, the Nissan dealership I went to was very nice to me and let me test drive a Spec (Mazda people absolutely refuses to let me take one out for a spin unless I am buying that day :wtf: )

So needlessly to say I'm put off by the local Mazda dealership attitudes. I'm sure you guys all had pleasant experiences dealing with your dealers but for my personal experience it is not the case. That plus the fact that I am certain I can knock a few thousands off of a Spec V (because of less demand - the Mazda people are selling MP5's at sticker prices!) appeals to me even though from what I've read the MSP is a better car all around. Of course, if I drive out of the city to some place further away (sub-urbs - about 1.5hr drive away) then maybe things are different there...

In any case both are fun cars at econo-car price range so it's all good :D

I'm just gonna put one more thread of input...this may not apply to you.

But Safety concerns were quite important to me. Since it would be my first manual tranny car, and the first car I've ever driven with more than like 115 hp :p

The Sentra came up above the Protege in all crash tests, and with the added side impact airbags of the Spec V, they're even higher.

There are alot of people on the Spec V boards getting into accidents, some even at 70+mph, and they're only walking out with minor bruises, and some whiplash.

I don't know of any other small car that could do that...well maybe the civic...but all the tests that I've compared, dont' use the sentra's side impact air bags.

Something you get while saving 2K canadian, (in my position I saved like 4-5K :))

hey that sounds like some of the dealerships i have been to "we dont Test drive cars" while others they hand me the keys!? I am a 20yr old guy usually with my gf lookin at cars. So when i get treated like trash i dont come back..but on the other hand if i get treated really well(like i did at the mazda dealership) then i have returned.

I am in the same delima with the SE-R Spec V and the Mazdaspeed. But tonight i have made my decision. Went to the Mitz dealership(Saw the new EVO 8) had to go look at it. Then went to the Nissan...no one walked up to me, i took like 4 shots of the car with the good digy and left. then off to the Mazda. Got treated so well the guy hands me the keys and says go for a test drive! WOW!:eek: the dude just handed the keys to me and my girl! COOL! so we go off come back about 10min later, love the car! defently will be back!!

so looks like the Treatment at the dealership works:D

03MzdSpdSTP said:
hey that sounds like some of the dealerships i have been to "we dont Test drive cars" while others they hand me the keys!? I am a 20yr old guy usually with my gf lookin at cars. So when i get treated like trash i dont come back..but on the other hand if i get treated really well(like i did at the mazda dealership) then i have returned.

I am in the same delima with the SE-R Spec V and the Mazdaspeed. But tonight i have made my decision. Went to the Mitz dealership(Saw the new EVO 8) had to go look at it. Then went to the Nissan...no one walked up to me, i took like 4 shots of the car with the good digy and left. then off to the Mazda. Got treated so well the guy hands me the keys and says go for a test drive! WOW!:eek: the dude just handed the keys to me and my girl! COOL! so we go off come back about 10min later, love the car! defently will be back!!

so looks like the Treatment at the dealership works:D

A good dealership is important too. Funny though...no one at the mazda/honda dealership would talk to me. But at Nissan/Infiniti dealerships they were all over me, same with acura, and toyota/lexus dealerships.

Funny thing is...only the nissan/infiniti and acura dealership didn't laugh at me when I said I wasn't gonna finance, however but buy the car out straight with cash. I got a good harty laugh from mazda, which made me feel pretty unwelcome.

What happened in the end...I ordered a Spec V, and paid with cash.

Oh yea...while I was on the topic of Saftey...just letting you know getting your windows tinted COULD save your life, just cuz the film of the tint can acctually prevent the shards of glass from flying into the car if it breaks :)

When I got my MP3 the dealer just handd me the keys and told me to have it back in a few hours! He didn't even come along.
I went to the same dealer the other day to drive the MSP and they jumped in the car and within 3 minutes of walking into the show room I was driving the MSP.

I what you mean by being treated like crap I got that from an infiniti dealer. I got them back for that though. THe salesmen statred doing fallow up clls and I call them backed and told the salesmanager based on the treatment I was given I will never go back to there dealerships for any reason nor will I allow any of my family or friends to do so.

I got treated like a king at my infinti dealership :p

the most friendly dealership we have in my city has gotta be that Sunshine Acura. They're CRAZY friendly...maybe a lil too friendly.

Dealership relationship is everything. I left Honda because of bad service, and this is after my family buying at least 20 cars total in 15 years. Grandparents, aunts, cousins etc.

Basically, they got a new manager, and he was a jackass, and me being in my 20's, he never took me serious, so one day, they pissed me off again, and two days later, I drove past and waved to them in my shiney new MP3.

All jokes aside, Most cars these days are built pretty good. The dealership, at least to me, means EVERYTHING. That's the only reason why I am still driving a Mazda. My dealership is AWESOME
Penney Mazda West.

Dealership discussions

The unfortunate (or fortuntate depending on how one looks at it) thing in my case is that both dealerships are friendly to me. I know the Nissan dealer is good to me because I currently am leasing a Nissan and have had great experience dealing with my dealership. In fact, the reason I leased my car from my current dealership is because they treated me with respect despite the fact that I was 23 at the time.

The Mazda dealership from which I would buy my MSP is also good because my dad leased his Tribute from there and the guy was really great about letting us drive the MSP. My dad has had nothing but good things to say about them.

On the flip side, I will never go to Toyota of Grand Rapids and buy a car because when I looked at a Celica a couple of years ago they just looked at me funny like I didn't belong there. And then when I finally did get a sales person to talk to me all he could tell me about the car was that it was blue!

It's gonna be a tough choice for sure, but I guess I should be happy I have two great cars (MSP and Spec-V) to choose from and two great dealerships and sales guys to buy from. :)

Back