Service You May Not Need...

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
...in US/Canada ha ha. A common "accessory" supplied for a small cost at new car dealerships in Colombia is the riviting of decorative and some practical components to the car body to hinder easy rip offs by theives.

49110618967_3447208457_c.jpg

49109919998_01ee0ec4b8_c.jpg

49110620077_96ab5efa6d_c.jpg

Too funny.
I peeled off my SkyActiv badge on the trunk of the car right after I got it. It means nothing to anyone that sees it anyway.
It's like Nissans "Pure Drive XTRONIC CVT" badges, or Fords EcoBoost and military grade aluminum crap.
All this stuff comes from the marketing departments.
Sort of like the "It's new and improved"....ads from whatever products.
Makes you wonder, if it's new and improved, does that mean the original stuff was crap?

Too funny.
I peeled off my SkyActiv badge on the trunk of the car right after I got it. It means nothing to anyone that sees it anyway.
It's like Nissans "Pure Drive XTRONIC CVT" badges, or Fords EcoBoost and military grade aluminum crap.
All this stuff comes from the marketing departments.
Sort of like the "It's new and improved"....ads from whatever products.
Makes you wonder, if it's new and improved, does that mean the original stuff was crap?

No holes to cover? I thought I remember hearing there's guide holes behind the CX-5 emblems.

The Skyactiv badge is meaningless, but it's also there for symmetry. I might replace it with something else, though.

No holes to cover? I thought I remember hearing there's guide holes behind the CX-5 emblems.

The Skyactiv badge is meaningless, but it's also there for symmetry. I might replace it with something else, though.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for the emblem on the CX-5, but on my 6 (2017), it was just a sticky.
Used a little heat from a hair dryer, and some dental floss. Came off no problem.

I'm also thinking of removing the Mazda6 logo on the trunk and replacing it with the logo from the previous gen.
This one is hard to read, and you can't see if it's a 6 or a 3 until you get up close.
The previous gen 6 logo/emblem is larger and more stylized. I like it better.

Last edited:
Haha in the US some folks want to debadge their cars.......free debadging in Columbia!!

Haha in the US some folks want to debadge their cars.......free debadging in Columbia!!

The same might apply to upgrading the rims...except in Columbia you only get free removal.

Just insane. Why would anyone take a Mazda emblem? It can't even have any recycle value. And the thrill would be fleeting.

Avoidin everything in ColOmbia has "recycle" value. In the countryside farmers with banana trees place home made land mines on their property and warning signs at the entrance to keep people from coming in and steeling bananas.

Avoidin everything in ColOmbia has "recycle" value. In the countryside farmers with banana trees place home made land mines on their property and warning signs at the entrance to keep people from coming in and steeling bananas.

Yeh, I know.

I've had friends immigrate here from various countries in South America. They and their parents have stories.

I just went to a member's meeting with my electric utility (it's a co-op), and a couple of the linesmen spoke and showed a video of humanitarian work they recently did in Bolivia. A group of American electric companies sent a bunch of workers to run power to a village that has been without it for nearly 30 years. It was old school hand-pulling/pole-climbing, with no bucket trucks or any other equipment. Utility poles were sunk and erected by hand. They had plans to help other villages there, but recent political chances have made that impossible (it's no longer safe).

I feel for ya, buddy.

My favorite here was seeing the electric company with a very expensive bucket truck and the guy in the bucket was chopping away at branches with a machete. Anyway I thought posters up north would be amused by some the practises related to our Mazdas in other parts of the world.

...in US/Canada ha ha. A common "accessory" supplied for a small cost at new car dealerships in Colombia is the riviting of decorative and some practical components to the car body to hinder easy rip offs by theives.

Wait a minute! They drill holes in your car's sheet metal and install rivets? What type of metal are those rivets made from?

And those holes inside of the rivet go inside of the sheet metal right, unimpeded?

Last edited:
Wait a minute! They drill holes in your car's sheet metal and install rivets? What type of metal are those rivets made from?

And those holes inside of the rivet go inside of the sheet metal right, unimpeded?

They look like pop rivets, so they won't allow water in themselves. But did they use sealer?? Maybe? Doubtful.

Don't know about the application but I've had a few other new cars here and it's common practice at all the dealerships. Some cars have more exterior components that can be snatched off than others. With the Mazda they're minimal. I posted everything that was riveted.

Yes retired here seventeen years ago. No regrets...but I miss snow.

Aren't you concerned about rust building up behind the rivets? You are drilling through the body.
I would rather debadge the car.

[/QUOTE]

At least here in the US, I can't think of anyone who would want to steal these badges. Is this a problem in Columbia?

Honestly, looks awful with the rivets, especially the rear "CX-5 AWD" badges. I'd be upset if a dealer did that to my car.

That is zoomed in. I don't think it looks bad. What I want to know is, how does an old retired guy have a 25 year old wife ;)

Back