VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mazda 6 is here, no diesel, no AWD

Registered Member

2020 Mazda 6 is here, no diesel, no AWD

Looks like Mazda doesn't care about the 6 any more. Looks like we don't care enough for it :/

Registered Member

Mazda6 GT, MX5 PRHT

I'd buy a 6 wagon yesterday if it was available here.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

I agree with them. Honestly, they sell so few of them.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

I can understand the no diesel thing. I mean why would you even bother developing a diesel version for it when it sells in such low numbers?
    The AWD is another matter.
    I'm generally very happy with my 2017 6. It's a wonderful vehicle, and everyone who sees it or drives in it is impressed.
    If they came out with an AWD system for it, I'd trade up in a heartbeat.
    In our winter, AWD is a huge advantage.
    During bad weather, the car stays in the garage, and we take our Pathfinder everywhere.

Registered Member

They haven't updated anything this year. At least everyone wants tht new infotainment system!

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

What is new this year, compare to 2019?
    I haven't not found anything.

Rumor has it that next Mazda6 is going to be RWD in next FMC. 2022?
    Last edited by ceric; 11-10-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Looking at sales numbers, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mazda pull out of this mid size car segment altogether.
    Maybe they'll just let the 6 run unchanged for another year or two, and then call it a day.
    Sedan sales are still trending down worldwide, and Mazda can't, or won't, compete against the Camry's and Accords anymore.
    It's obvious from their lack of marketing effort and lack of updates on the 6 that they really don't care.
    It's a shame, 'cause the bones of the car are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    Looking at sales numbers, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mazda pull out of this mid size car segment altogether.
    Maybe they'll just let the 6 run unchanged for another year or two, and then call it a day.
    Sedan sales are still trending down worldwide, and Mazda can't, or won't, compete against the Camry's and Accords anymore.
    It's obvious from their lack of marketing effort and lack of updates on the 6 that they really don't care.
    It's a shame, 'cause the bones of the car are top notch.
    That's why they are moving Mazda6 to RWD with bigger engine to find a niche in the market.
    At least that is the plan according to a Japanese mag.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

(former) 2006 Mazda 5 M/T

Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    That's why they are moving Mazda6 to RWD with bigger engine to find a niche in the market.
    At least that is the plan according to a Japanese mag.
    Although that's something I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for, it would be very intriguing if they tried it!
    | That the yielding conquers the resistant
    | and the soft conquers the hard
    | is a fact known by all people,
    | yet utilized by none.
    | -- Lao Tzu

Car And Driver has this article as well.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...rm-inline-six/
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Hmm... I wonder whether consumers will accept Mazda as a high-priced car company?

I LOVE an inline 6 engine better than anything (excepting _maybe_ a V-12 like a Merlin), and I'd love to see a fore-and-aft one in a RWD sedan. That said, it would still have to be comfortable, durable, reasonably priced, engaging... in short, it'd still have to be a Mazda. (-:

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by bulwnkl View Post
    Hmm... I wonder whether consumers will accept Mazda as a high-priced car company?

I LOVE an inline 6 engine better than anything (excepting _maybe_ a V-12 like a Merlin), and I'd love to see a fore-and-aft one in a RWD sedan. That said, it would still have to be comfortable, durable, reasonably priced, engaging... in short, it'd still have to be a Mazda. (-:
    Honestly, I would be happy with an AWD Mazda6 with their 2.5T engine. The move to RWD would be cool, but if it pushes the price over 40K, then they would have lost me as a customer. Even 35K is pushing it. The main appeal for buying Mazdas, at least when I bought my Mazdas, is that they make fun to drive, bang for the buck vehicles. The move to premium is slowly pushing the price out of reach.

I agree with you on the value proposition, Finch.

Sedans are not finding many buyers these days.
    To headon compete against the like of Camry and Accord, it would continue to be a uphill battle for Mazda.
    So, finding a niche is the key.
    You can't find many choices of RWD sedan (or RWD-biased AWD) under $40K.

Says,
    $35K
    RWD
    inline-6 3.5L Skyactive-X: 310hp, 290ft-lb
    8-speed auto, cylinder deact (using 4 on highway)
    MPG: 24 city/32hwy
    0-60mph: <6 sec
    I would be interested...

Registered Member

2015 Mazda 6

It's no secret that sedans are losing market share. I'm from Toronto, and the cross-over market is far bigger here compared to the USA. In the sedan market, Accord/Camry dominate just on the brand name alone, although the Mazda 6 is probably slightly below the Accord and definitely better than the Camry. Mazda's appeal is obviously to make fun to drive cars, and now theyre dabbling in to the premium-like market. But most people dont care about driving dynamics and would prefer comfort/features. That's where the Accord wins (with more features). I love Mazda but their infotainment sucks currently. I have a 2015 Mazda 6 and i find that Gen's infotainment system better than the current one. The new one is super laggy, low-res, and not as user friendly as it should be.

That being said, since the sedan market is even worse in Canada, the current gen Mazda 6s that are sitting on lots can be bought at huge discounts. The dealerships are so desperate to get rid of them. Im currently debating trading in my 15 M6 for a 2018 model GT. Brand new in the Canadian market, (CAD$) this car was about 38-39k. I can get it for 29-30k with a few thousand KMs on it. Definitely good bang for the buck!

Just waiting to see if Canadaseatskins.ca has the interior mats for the 2018s. I did a custom interior job on my 2015 (reddish/brown like the CX9 signature) and I want to do the same for the 2018 (but more of a chocolate or tan brown) to go with a navy exterior!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast