LED Lights Life Expectancy

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I like to drive with the running lights (not headlights) on all the time. I think that's even the law in Canada. Does anyone have an idea of what the life expectancy is of those lights?

I like to drive with the running lights (not headlights) on all the time. I think that's even the law in Canada. Does anyone have an idea of what the life expectancy is of those lights?
So your DRLs have only LED halos without LED low-beams unlike the US CX-5?

Generally speaking, LEDs have a life expectancy of 50 000 hours. If you use your LED DRLs for 5 hours a day, they should last 27.4 years.

Of course there're always exceptions. The LED DRLs on my 2016 CX-5 lasted only 2.5 years and 22K miles. :(

LED life expectancy depends heavily on the manufacturers...
Cooling is the prime factor of that.
LEDs with good cooling lasts longer.
Insufficient cooling shortens the life of LEDs.
Cheaper LEDs (for your home use) typically has poor cooling. They do not last as long.
This is where price/performance factor comes into the picture.

It is law, at least here in Ontario, Canada.

My understanding is that like mentioned above,cooling is an important factor but that although the actual LED "element" itself can be rated for thousands of hours lifespan,it's typically the supporting electronics that fails much earlier.
My aftermarket LED DRL's have been working for the last 4 years and 30,000 miles.Hope I didn't jinx it by mentioning this.LOL

I have LEDS from PRC that have lasted for years in texas heat.. but some people got OEM mazda leds failing after a year or less lol.

Good information. Thank you for the responses. Another question, are there aftermarket LED lights available for Mazda that are brighter than factory originals?

Last edited:
It's a good idea to have your headlights on when you drive.

I've been driving with my headlights always on ever since I read that Canada made it the law (about 25 years ago) because it reportedly reduces accidents by 5%...you're less likely to just blend into the background. (If you want to go Maximum Visibility, drive a yellow car).

Regarding Mazda LED headlight life, there have been horror stories posted on this forum of certain model years having short-life issues, with some number of folks getting at least partial relief from Mazda Customer Service in out-of-warranty situations. I wouldn't let concern over shortening their life sway me from maximizing my safety. And I believe that the design has been improved.

It's a good idea to have your headlights on when you drive.

I've been driving with my headlights always on ever since I read that Canada made it the law (about 25 years ago) because it reportedly reduces accidents by 5%...you're less likely to just blend into the background. (If you want to go Maximum Visibility, drive a yellow car).

Regarding Mazda LED headlight life, there have been horror stories posted on this forum of certain model years having short-life issues, with some number of folks getting at least partial relief from Mazda Customer Service in out-of-warranty situations. I wouldn't let concern over shortening their life sway me from maximizing my safety. And I believe that the design has been improved.

17' GT here with 25k miles. So far, so good on the LED lights.

17' GT here with 25k miles. So far, so good on the LED lights.

It IS fascinating to see all of this tech in cars where they're subject to environmental extremes (hot, cold, dust, dirt, sand, salt, snow, rain, grease, oil, bumpy roads).

One would think everything's got to be Mil-spec or NASA-compliant. And even then...

Drivers here are inclined to pull out right in front of you (major "me first" syndrome). I've found with the lights on they pause an extra second or two allowing you to get by with out having to slam on your brakes for them. I've instructed my girlfriend to always have her light on on her 125cc moto for the same reason. There are very few girls here who have not had an accident at some point on their moto but she is one of them. Small cc motorcycles 100cc to 250cc are involved in about 80% of the accidents here.

as a long time biker, I don't like all the vehicles having lights on during daylight......
the motorcycle just gets lost in the traffic with all the lights.........

makes it more dangerous for motorcycle riders....

as a long time biker, I don't like all the vehicles having lights on during daylight......

I can understand that. I have 3 brothers...they all rode bikes.

One had a Triumph Bonneville back in the day.
Another had a Sporty XLCH.
The 3rd had a rice burner of some sort.

I take it you got some level of traffic where you live.

As another long time rider, I don't see it that way. It just makes the cars more visible, not bikes less visible.
I hated my first DRLs. Not anymore. I appreciate seeing them on other vehicles, 2 or 4 wheeled.

I can understand that. I have 3 brothers...they all rode bikes.

One had a Triumph Bonneville back in the day.
Another had a Sporty XLCH.
The 3rd had a rice burner of some sort.

I take it you got some level of traffic where you live.

Hey avoidin deer , yeah, live in city with about 250,000 people........
If I lived in country or smaller town, guess all the vehicles drl wouldn't
bother me as much.........

Triumph is making some nice bikes now......

Latest posts

Back