AC works good

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
It was 82 degrees today and I put a thermometer in the vent. The thermometer read 39/40. So that is plenty of cold coming out of the vents. Going by feel is subjective, the other day I felt like it wasn't really getting that cold but it turns out that it is getting cold and I was just hot that day.

My main issue is Mazda doesnt use the thermal glass other auto makers (such as Ford and VW) that Ive owned so more heat (solar radiation) transfers in. Very noticeable with the sunroof but we tinted the front side windows. Need to probably add some to the sunroof as well. Even adding to the back, which is factory tinted, again due to Mazdas glass choice.

The rear glass is darkened only.
definetely needs good tint all around and on the moonroof to keep heat away.

The problem is not the Ac as it works ok.
I think the problem is the fan that moves the air is somehow underpowered so the quantity of cold air that gets inside and rotates is not enough under very high heat. So it need more time overall to cool the car.
Based on comparison to other cars I've had.

It definitely doesnt quite have polar vortex mode like my GTI and previous vehicle (ST) have.

I got 20% tints all around, AC cools inside like an igloo in little time even in 85+ degrees.

Its +36c and sunny right now, AC blows cold. The problem, as others have stated, is the layered acoustic glass Mazda uses. It offers very little (if any) thermal resistance, so when it's sunny out, the heat is magnified due to the glass. I've wanted to add a clear UV tint to the windshield and sunroof glass, but I keep putting it off.

It definitely doesn*t quite have polar vortex mode like my GTI and previous vehicle (ST) have.

I completely agree with this. My 20 year old Acura is much more comfortable which surprises me since this Mazda is much more current and has dual climate zones and such.

When its even 80 degrees outside and I have the AC set to "Auto" and 67 degrees, I find myself sweating unless I have the vents pointed directly at me (which is uncomfortable) and usually end up manually turning the fan up as well. In the Acura I'd leave it set at 72 pretty much all the time and didn't have the vents blowing directly on my skin.

When comparing an SUV and a small car like the GTI, keep in mind that the larger vehicles have much more air volume that needs to be cooled down.
A lot more hot air to get rid of.
In general, a car should cool off a lot quicker as there isn't a whole lot of air volume in the vehicle, compared to say a CX-9.
My 6 cools off really quickly, whereas my Pathfinder takes a lot longer.
Both have tinted windows, and both blow cold air. It's just that the Pathfinder has so much more interior air volume than the car does.

The manufacturer should size the system accordingly. A larger house has a larger hvac for example than a smaller house. If both are sized correctly it should perform similarly.

The Mazda CX-5 doesnt have to worst AC of any car Ive owned. Its just not the best either. The GTI cools down very fast if left on air when the cars been sitting in the sun all day. Also the leather cools off very quickly which surprised me.

The manufacturer should size the system accordingly. A larger house has a larger hvac for example than a smaller house. If both are sized correctly it should perform similarly.

The Mazda CX-5 doesnt have to worst AC of any car Ive owned. Its just not the best either. The GTI cools down very fast if left on air when the cars been sitting in the sun all day. Also the leather cools off very quickly which surprised me.
Exactly. Gen-2 CX-9 is having similar complaint on AC performance. I personally feel our gen-1 CX-5 is fine on AC, but the all-black interior definitely doesn't help the AC performance!

Yes our VW Passat has much stronger AC than our CX-5.

agreed.
My Edge had better ac and it was larger interior and Grand cherokee. And cx5 interior is not that large vs some sedans.
I just feel CX5 is not optimal. As said if you,drive longer and keep the temp selector to very low digits evetually it keeps up.

just checked my ac with a heat gun , which is accurate with other thermometers ........ and with ac on full
after a couple of minutes it was reading 27 degrees f... !! at the vent ..........

freezing cold, but not complaining .......

I think the problem isnt that the air coming out isnt cold enough. Its a factor of how much volume of air it can move at that temperature. In this respect is where its not as powerful as some competitive vehicles.

My main issue is Mazda doesn*t use the thermal glass other auto makers (such as Ford and VW) that I*ve owned so more heat (solar radiation) transfers in. Very noticeable with the sunroof but we tinted the front side windows. Need to probably add some to the sunroof as well. Even adding to the back, which is factory tinted, again due to Mazda*s glass choice.

I tinted my windshield with ceramic. That has far and away been the best method, as the sun at its hottest is beating down from above, and the windshield has by far the largest exposed surface area in that circumstance, and the dash is black (in my case).

agreed.
My Edge had better ac and it was larger interior and Grand cherokee. And cx5 interior is not that large vs some sedans.
I just feel CX5 is not optimal. As said if you,drive longer and keep the temp selector to very low digits evetually it keeps up.

I think it's the algorythm. Mazda has the least aggressive system I am aware of if using automatic controls. My Jeep, my neighbor's MB, all are on at full blast until the vehicle hits temp, and THEN back off t o maintain it. Mazda just starts out at the maintenance blow-rate and seems to say "Well, hell with YOU! When it gets there...it gets there."

I drive mostly at night, and usually in 80* weather have the temp set at 68. During the day now, I seem to be moving it to 62-65.

Yea maybe. On my GTI and ST I had previously its basically polar vortex until it cools down (which is usually pretty quick) then it backs off.

My main issue is Mazda doesnt use the thermal glass other auto makers (such as Ford and VW) that Ive owned so more heat (solar radiation) transfers in. Very noticeable with the sunroof but we tinted the front side windows. Need to probably add some to the sunroof as well. Even adding to the back, which is factory tinted, again due to Mazdas glass choice.

I tinted the front windshield. Makes a difference yet you can't tell its tinted. The installer is crucial imho. I used Suntek Ceramic.

The problem is not the Ac as it works ok.
I think the problem is the fan that moves the air is somehow underpowered so the quantity of cold air that gets inside and rotates is not enough under very high heat. So it need more time overall to cool the car.
Based on comparison to other cars I've had.

I changed my mom's 2016 Corolla's cabin filter. It was considerably larger than the CX-5's. Intakes and moves more air I notice.

Back