2016 CX-5 rear brake TSB resolution

The pedal should feel solid from the get-go. If you have to pump the pedal a few times to get a solid feel then there is still air in the lines. Did they bleed the brakes a second time? I'm assuming you're saying that it feels worse now than before the caliper change.
It felt worse immediately after the change. Today it felt a little better I would say. I still have a strong feeling the bleeding was not done correctly.
I will drive for a day and see - If I measure the moisture and it is a high number - that should give me a hint? shouldn't it?

Not sure what you're saying about moisture, but if it wasn't bled correctly it's not something that's going to get better. Nothing should feel different since you have the same pads and rotors on.

I am confused - I felt the pedal too soft yesterday and the dealer sent me back saying its ok. Today I am feeling the pedal medium soft-definitely better than yesterday. I am out of warranty in 11 days. I don't know what should I do. Is it normal for the brake feel to get better after bleeding in a day or two? Imo they should be bleeding from all for sides and not just the rear two which I think they have done - but I am not sure.
I agree with madar, you shouldnt feel any different right after the brake job. Soft and mushing feeling on your brake pedal means you have some air trapped in the brake system. It usually wont improve by itself and you should take your CX-5 back and tell them to bleed the air out of the brake system.

Based on your experience, I dont feel Hiley in Hurst did a good job on your rear caliper replacement, although we have to give them credit giving you new revised rear calipers.

Same exact thing happened to me, the brakes weren't bled correctly after they replaced the rear calipers.
Wow, you didnt tell us this story before! I wonder why those Mazda certified mechanics cant even do a simple brake bleeding job right with all the proper tools?

The same on those Toyota certified mechanics who cant do a simple oil change job right on my Yaris iA?

Wow, you didn*t tell us this story before! I wonder why those Mazda *certified* mechanics can*t even do a simple brake bleeding job right with all the proper tools?

The same on those Toyota *certified* mechanics who can*t do a simple oil change job right on my Yaris iA?

They did it when I had my oil pan changed for an oil leak last November. They also managed to put 6 quarts of engine oil in a 5 quart sump. I hate that word "certified".

I just looked at my bill they only bled rear calipers and not front. I guess this is what TSB says but it should not make the brakes feel mushy or soft.

I just looked at my bill they only bled rear calipers and not front. I guess this is what TSB says but it should not make the brakes feel mushy or soft.

They didn't bleed them right, bring it back again.

Called Mazda Corporate - he tells me Hiley did not think the TSB was needed but they did it in good faith. And now that they did it in good faith - they are not going to look at issues arising from this. Will talk to a second dealership Freeman and see if they can fix it. Cluster F

You mean they should bleed all 4? or you mean that they did not bleed the rear two right?
The rear two.
In theory, the tech only needs to bleed the rear two calipers when they replaced them with revised calipers. But I wouldn't emphasis this as the tech may introduced some air into front brake lines somehow and caused the mushy and soft feelings. Just tell the service advisor, or escalate the issue to service manager, and ask them to make it right.

Called Mazda Corporate - he tells me Hiley did not think the TSB was needed but they did it in good faith. And now that they did it in good faith - they are not going to look at issues arising from this. Will talk to a second dealership Freeman and see if they can fix it. Cluster F
Don't bring your CX-5 to Freeman Mazda as they're not responsible to handle a case screwed by another Mazda dealer unless MNAO asks them to. Go back to Hiley Mazda and ask them to make the brake right. Tell the service manager this's a very important safety issue. This's an easy job for dealers and they can bleed the entire brake system, at this stage bleeding all 4 calipers may be required, within 20 minutes.

They did it when I had my oil pan changed for an oil leak last November. They also managed to put 6 quarts of engine oil in a 5 quart sump. I hate that word "certified".
So your Mazda dealer failed to bleed the brake right when you got EPB brake caliper issue done, and at the same time you got the oil pan replaced and overfilled the oil? Yeah that Toyota dealer also overfilled a half quart of oil for botched oil change. In the end I appreciated that -quart overfill otherwise the engine on my Yaris may be seized before I got to LA!

Often people blame the bad oil change experience on some high school kid beginners doing it at the dealership. On the contrary, and to my surprise too, many service departments assign one "certified" mechanic to work on one vehicle with all the reported problems and requested services, including oil change. At least this's the way how the service department operates at Town North Mazda and Melody Toyota I went to.

I went for a trip to Walmart and my brakes felt close to normal than close to mushy. Funny because my mind was already leaning towards this is an issue - but it still did not feel like. They felt mushy yesterday but have gotten better for sure. I will keep an eye on it. I may have given Hiley wrong grief.
The feel was not very hard, it was gradual - pretty close to what I had before the TSB.

Last edited:
I went for a trip to Walmart and my brakes felt close to normal than close to mushy. Funny because my mind was already leaning towards this is an issue - but it still did not feel like. They felt mushy yesterday but have gotten better for sure. I will keep an eye on it. I may have given Hiley wrong grief.
Or could be the other way, your foot is getting used to mushy brake feeling ;) I'd still trust your first feel right after you just got your CX-5 back.

Anyway, you can try to compare the brake feel of your Camry, or if you have chance, try a CX-5 in your dealership showroom. You don't have to try it with engine running. And you can call Hiley Mazda to make a record of your mushy brake feeling after the brake job, and tell them you'd want them to check it under warranty next time you have the chance to visit them as you're too busy to bring the CX-5 back right now.

My warranty is out in 10 days. Lol. Anyhow I have a 23rd appointment with Freeman. Hiley did look at it and were sure its ok.

So your Mazda dealer failed to bleed the brake right when you got EPB brake caliper issue done, and at the same time you got the oil pan replaced and overfilled the oil? Yeah that Toyota dealer also overfilled a half quart of oil for botched oil change. In the end I appreciated that -quart overfill otherwise the engine on my Yaris may be seized before I got to LA!

Often people blame the bad oil change experience on some high school kid beginners doing it at the dealership. On the contrary, and to my surprise too, many service departments assign one "certified" mechanic to work on one vehicle with all the reported problems and requested services, including oil change. At least this's the way how the service department operates at Town North Mazda and Melody Toyota I went to.
Yep. "Gold Cup" dealer. Hate that term, too, lol.

My warranty is out in 10 days. Lol. Anyhow I have a 23rd appointment with Freeman. Hiley did look at it and were sure its ok.
Didn't know Hiley had checked the brake again and said it's fine. Yeah have Freeman to check it for the second opinion. Can you tell the brake pedal is still having longer travel than before?

Didn't know Hiley had checked the brake again and said it's fine. Yeah have Freeman to check it for the second opinion. Can you tell the brake pedal is still having longer travel than before?
Travel is not longer, but the first exit from Hiley it felt very soft. It definitely feels better now. I feel more closer to my original feel than yesterdays. I am not sure if breaks need to be pumped a bit after a bleeding and Hiley forgot that.
Another way to check air in the system is to observe master cylinder for bubbles while having someone pump the brakes - I can try this.

The pads first have a gap and then adjust themselves. With new pads the gap is wide until they are used and they slide in to the rotor and the rubber seal on the piston holds the pad near the rotor after that. I think it is normal for the pedal to have more travel for the first few stops and heat cycles, but it should go back to normal soon. Your mussy feel initially may or may not be a bleeding issue.

Back