2016.5 Touring FWD with 18 MPG for City: is that normal?

whoami?

:
CX-5 2016.5 FWD Touring
I recently acquired a used 2016.5 Touring FWD with 46k miles. I am located in the Boston area, and I have only driven 100 miles or so, all city driving. Most of my trips have been 1 to 3 miles. Weather has been between 10F and 45F. I have brand-new all-season tires, and drive very smoothly (as I was trying to get the best MPG, so no sudden acceleration, stopped accelerating when I see the light ahead is red, etc). So far I am averaging 18 MPG, which seems low, I would have expected ~ 23MPG.

Do you think something could be wrong and should I get the car checked?

1-3 miles? You're never going to get good mpg in 3 miles. 18 is about right.

Yep, your motor is never going to reach normal operating temps in only a couple of miles. You'll want to take your car out once in a while and get the motor up to operating temp so that any moisture in the oil can be boiled away.

I have a Scanguage II. It takes 5 miles in 80F weather for the engine to get to 180F (fully warmed up). It takes another 15 miles.for the trans to get.to 180F. I'm not surprised at your 18 MPG. You could run 2 tanks with Redline SI-1 in them to clean parts of the fuel system. At 47k there is surely some build-up, but it probably won't improve your mileage for short cold trips.

I have compared same CX5 as you have vs a 15 Camry SE for under 1 mile trips. The CX5 wins. You are the very very extreme city driver. You don't do enough miles to warm the engine, you do it in extreme weather conditions. You should consider electric or something like an i3 with Rex if it suits you.
Btw the worst I ever saw was 21 in over 28K miles. I drive 19 miles one way. Best mpg per trip was 37.3

Sounds about right. (uhm)

You are a good candidate for an electric vehicle.

With your short trip cycle it will be very important to get oil changed at the 5000 mile interval.

Perfectly normal. Disappointing, I know.

Seriously? NO CAR is going to give you good mileage in 3 miles. It's barely warmed up, you used a cup of gas to go 3 miles. You need to drive, y'know like a gallons worth of gas to start seeing good Miles per GALLON...

Seriously? NO CAR is going to give you good mileage in 3 miles. It's barely warmed up, you used a cup of gas to go 3 miles. You need to drive, y'know like a gallons worth of gas to start seeing good Miles per GALLON...

Check your meds, dude. I'm agreeing with you. Seriously.

LoL my bad. I was thrown by the "how disappointing" comment. [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back