Windshield- OEM or OEE/Aftermarket

I agree with that theory.
How much was the hail damage in each instance?
Did they raise your rates (significantly) after the first claim, or the second? My rates have typically gone up year over year just a very little. Currently at 70/month on auto insurance.
First hail damage estimated about $8K; second hail damage estimated about $10K. Each time I was able to fix most of dents with PDR without paying $1,000 deductible.

My premium increased about 50% on CX-5 after the first hail claim on my CX-5. About another 50% after the second hail damage. I was paying about $900 per year with 3 cars, 2 of them have only liability before the first hail damage claim. After 2 consecutive hail damage claims, the premium has increased to $1,800 per year! I was able to find a different auto insurance company who just entered Texas market and offered significant promotional rate for switching the insurance to them which saved me some money. Otherwise my premium would be even higher had I stayed with the same insurance company. BTW, the premium increase is similar on my homeowner insurance from the same hail damage claims.

Last edited:
I have Geico insurance also. Does that give you a free or significantly reduced windshield if you make a claim? Otherwise, it's covered under your normal Comprehensive deductible. https://www.geico.com/claims/glass-claims-guide/

To correct myself...I had a 500 deductible comprehensive....upgraded to 500 deductible comprehensive with 0 deductible glass.

In Arizona, Glass claims typically don't count against your premium from what I heard.

Since I was paying out of pocket for this time (prior to adding glass coverage) I felt the Made in USA Pilkington at $300 was better than the $600+ OEM one from dealership. If I need another one (covered) I'll go OEM or Pilkington. Not sure? That said anyone with a 2017+ model probably should go OEM since Mazda opted for thicker glass.

Last edited:
Wow! That is expensive. So glad that I live in Minnesota and have to pay $0 for full glass replacement as long as we have comprehensive coverage (I keep a $2000 comp deductible on my kids' vehicles just for the glass coverage).

Back