How do you find your CX-5 highway acceleration to be?

Maybe to keep the kid running the car to the new dealer from stressing the new engine?

It would explain perfectly what AD observed.

Apparently it's a new feature. One I definitely don't need.

I'd be more concerned about loading the driveline heavily.

We have a winner..but honestly the 2.5 is perfectly adequate for the most part. Hilly terrain with ac kickin and some added weight it could definitely use more..chasis is definitely worthy of it..I found myself avoidin a rare pod of young bucks hanging out the other night gonna cap one eventually I'm sure

I was reading a review on the CX-5 where the reviewer said something to the effect that the 2.5L engine was an insult to what the chassis/suspension system was capable of. Of course, the engine is adequate...but the chassis <i>is</i> overbuilt for it, and could certainly support way more HP.

Regarding those bucks you encountered...check out my username. I moved to a rural area in 2010 and have had 5 "encounters" so far. I've been driving over 45 years (living 100 miles north of here) and never hit a single one until I moved here. I had one that hit <i>me</i>...an oncoming car hit it and threw it into the side of a rental car I was driving. The last encounter took out my 1990 Volvo 740 (turbo with a manual transmission.) It was just about to turn 200,000 so had at least another 100,000 in it. It was my daily driver so as to keep the miles off of my truck...great car for driving around the back roads here.

That buck was the nicest one I've seen around here...a 12 point just standing in the middle of a foggy road, admiring what he through was a full moon coming up the road.

Wow 12ptr nice eatin..these were youngins but kinda freaked me out thought one was gonna plow into the side of the bimmer..due back in a few months. I've got a few k miles in the tank but hot and humid as its been(ac required) been going to it nice to have the boost when you want it..and rwd in summer for when you wanna drift it.. yes I'm a large child.

Driven a fwd 16.5 for 23800 miles so far the car is adequate up to 85 mph for me with single occupancy. With 450 lbs of cargo-humans plus gear its awful. Partly because Mazda has tuned this for city driving and not as a highway cruiser. I remember doing 75 with family in car, my foot to the floor and the speedo won't move. It needed a kindly downward slope of road for it to hit 80. I was blocking traffic in the left lane an ES300h smoked me from middle. Pretty sure a 2.0L Mazda 3 will outdo this at 75 + speeds. Partly the reason is the fast 30-50 and 40-60 times which sets the bar high. Partly because Mazda designed it this way.
I want to believe that AWD will mitigate this to an extent. But not sure.

^Texas didn't we do just this?.. awd doesn't help 50-70 or 60-80 it does the opposite albeit to a small, probably impercievable extent..enjoy the one thing wrong wheel drive actually improves))

Nobbled? Any recent examples of lower output versions of combustion powertrains getting worse fe?? Just name one, please.

Over here let's see. 1970's Holden HX Kingswood. Less power that previous model and even worse fuel economy in order to comply with that times new pollution regulations.

More recently if memory serves 2007/2008 Holden (GM) Commodore base 3.6L. Decrease in power slightly and also slightly worse fuel economy.

Last edited:
Wow 12ptr nice eatin..these were youngins but kinda freaked me out thought one was gonna plow into the side of the bimmer..due back in a few months. I've got a few k miles in the tank but hot and humid as its been(ac required) been going to it nice to have the boost when you want it..and rwd in summer for when you wanna drift it.. yes I'm a large child.

I never got a chance to shove it in my freezer. It's amazing what a healthy adrenaline dump can do...they bounce off, get up and are gone in a flash. "It's only a flesh wound." I swear they're suicidal...stand there and wait until you're right on top of them and then they leap in front of you. I'm lobbying for prozac-infused salt blocks to be scattered around.

Regarding hot-dogging, I have 3 brothers. They have all owner street rods and motorcycles. I am not them. I'm still around because I know my limitations...and they are many ;) But I do enjoy watching.

^Texas didn't we do just this?.. awd doesn't help 50-70 or 60-80 it does the opposite albeit to a small, probably impercievable extent..enjoy the one thing wrong wheel drive actually improves))

I'm not talking about how fast it reaches 80. Mine wouldn't reach it as FWD above certain payload or would reach it painfully slow. More about power delivery to the wheels.

Right..but added weight and driveline losses of awd result in slightly better at speed acceleration for the fwd version..they just do.

Over here let's see. 1970's Holden HX Kingswood. Less power that previous model and even worse fuel economy in order to comply with that times new pollution regulations.

You really just posted that bro? 70s? Diggin deep eh?

That's all right. He helped me decide...I'm not gonna get married and have kids. It screws with vehicle performance. ;)

How do you find your CX-5's highway accelertion to be?

Part of why I ask was that I DID step on it during my test drive...and nothing happened. No engine roar...nothing. We were on the highway, in light traffic, doing 70. I mentioned it, but we got to talking about something else.

I have a list of specific things to look at for my next (more extensive) test drive, and this is (obviously) one of them.

That particular vehicle has just been driven 300 miles from another location the dealer has, so I wonder if the Max Speed setting had been engaged.

I was fine merging into traffic as we entered the highway.

Just get a 18 BMW X3 M40i which costs almost twice as much. Some people here expect the CX-5 to be that for almost half he price.... :shrug:

https://youtu.be/IY_y3J5ZalY

Last edited:
Avoidin' Deer - you need to take the vehicle for a drive, test it how you like and ultimately make the decision with your head and your heart :)

Commentary/view points etc here are but a small part of your process and may not apply entirely to your circumstances.

Too many conflicting view points will just cloud your judgement, understanding and ultimately what you actual feel and how your read the various inputs from the CX-5 when doing the test drive.

Vehicle from 40+ years ago is delivering? Ok.. numbers on the Holden please.

You ignored the second vehicle I listed which is about 10 years old.

So it has happened in the recent past.

Not very often anymore but does happen.

Back