How do you find your CX-5 highway acceleration to be?

Wait for the diesel, you won't find that lacking.

Part of why I ask was that I DID step on it during my test drive...and nothing happened. No engine roar...nothing. We were on the highway, in light traffic, doing 70. I mentioned it, but we got to talking about something else.

I have a list of specific things to look at for my next (more extensive) test drive, and this is (obviously) one of them.

That particular vehicle has just been driven 300 miles from another location the dealer has, so I wonder if the Max Speed setting had been engaged.

I was fine merging into traffic as we entered the highway.

Yeah right? Wtf setting is this?
I think you need to find something else, OP. If you were flooring it and it's still not enough for you, this is not the car for you.

From the CX-5 Owner's Manual:

"The ASL is a function to prevent the vehicle from being driven at a vehicle speed faster than a set speed. The vehicle speed is controlled to kept it below the set speed even if the accelerator pedal is depressed.

The ASL can be set between 30 km/h (20 mph) and 200 km/h (125 mph). The vehicle speed may exceed the set speed when the vehicle is driven on a down slope, however, the system notifies the driver by flashing the display and operating a warning sound
."

They refer to it as ASL, not WTF. I'm not certain what that is. Maybe on a Honda?

LoL. Thanks for posting that. I think a better term would be wtf. Why would I want a speed limiter?

Having owned a 2013 2.0 Touring and now a 2015 2.5 Touring, I have found no problem with the acceleration of either one. The 2015 is usually pegged at 7.6 sec to 7.9 sec to 60mph which seems very adequate to me. These numbers are better than a mid 70's Corvette L48.

LoL. Thanks for posting that. I think a better term would be wtf. Why would I want a speed limiter?

Maybe to keep the kid running the car to the new dealer from stressing the new engine?

It would explain perfectly what AD observed.

Apparently it's a new feature. One I definitely don't need.

Yeah right? Wtf setting is this?
I think you need to find something else, OP. If you were flooring it and it's still not enough for you, this is not the car for you.
See my post above for information

Part of why I ask was that I DID step on it during my test drive...and nothing happened. No engine roar...nothing. We were on the highway, in light traffic, doing 70. I mentioned it, but we got to talking about something else.

I have a list of specific things to look at for my next (more extensive) test drive, and this is (obviously) one of them.

That particular vehicle has just been driven 300 miles from another location the dealer has, so I wonder if the Max Speed setting had been engaged.

I was fine merging into traffic as we entered the highway.

I reused the one from my 2014 mazda 3 and it fits the 2017 mazda cx-5 :D

I know.

It's not as though it's password protected to keep the teenagers in line.

And WTF was what I felt when I mashed the pedal and nothing happened. But I knew there were all sorts of [HAL]"Dave, I don't believe you can do that"[/HAL] features on the car (like maintaining a distance cruise control). And there was traffic. Just way too much to take in with a single test drive.

I also read that the ASL engages automatically if it was still active when the car was last turned off. So if your wife sets it and forgets to turn it off, then next time you get in the car you're gonna wonder what went wrong. Hopefully you won't find out when you really need to accelerate. In fact, the owners manual specifically warns of this potential scenario. There is an indicator in the digital gauge, along with instructions on how to clean poop off of leather (I made that last part up).

I do think it was still turned in my test vehicle on because the car had just been driven from the dealer's out-of-state sister location. That's a separate issue I have with these guys. They don't use transport trailers to move inventory among their 3 locations, so this "new" car just had 300 miles put on it, on top of the 100 miles it had already been driven. If I buy there, it's gonna be factory order. I want a new car, and I want to break it in right (a 300 mile road trip is not a recommended way to do it).

Maybe to keep the kid running the car to the new dealer from stressing the new engine?

It would explain perfectly what AD observed.

Apparently it's a new feature. One I definitely don't need.

That's what I thought. Or to keep him from speeding. But it's a crude way to transport new cars. That "new" CX-5 already had 400+ miles on it...that's 2/3 the break-in that was mostly done on a long road trip, not to mention that it's now close to used status.

I just replied to 7eregrine that the ASL does not turn off when the engine is shot down, meaning that the next guy to get in the car has his speed limited and may not know it. As you said, that explains why it may have been engaged without me doing it.

You know, I thought of that. Or waiting for the 2019 Turbo. But that's likely to be priced beyond what I'm willing to pay. And if I decided to move into that price range, it opens up other options for me.

I know.

It's not as though it's password protected to keep the teenagers in line.

And WTF was what I felt when I mashed the pedal and nothing happened. But I knew there were all sorts of [HAL]"Dave, I don't believe you can do that"[/HAL] features on the car (like maintaining a distance cruise control). And there was traffic. Just way too much to take in with a single test drive.

I also read that the ASL engages automatically if it was still active when the car was last turned off. So if your wife sets it and forgets to turn it off, then next time you get in the car you're gonna wonder what went wrong. Hopefully you won't find out when you really need to accelerate. In fact, the owners manual specifically warns of this potential scenario. There is an indicator in the digital gauge, along with instructions on how to clean poop off of leather (I made that last part up).

I do think it was still turned in my test vehicle on because the car had just been driven from the dealer's out-of-state sister location. That's a separate issue I have with these guys. They don't use transport trailers to move inventory among their 3 locations, so this "new" car just had 300 miles put on it, on top of the 100 miles it had already been driven. If I buy there, it's gonna be factory order. I want a new car, and I want to break it in right (a 300 mile road trip is not a recommended way to do it).

Should not engage automatically. I've never turned it on in the first place and it has never reengaged by itself.

I have had no issues merging into freeways or passing. The power is adequate.

Thomas from Autogefuhl has a video on the CX5 as he drove it around in Germany. It is well worth watching.

https://youtu.be/GG4DkLl3pc8

Thanks, again for that. I just finished watching.
Very thorough review (but the guy's German, it's what one would expect). It helped a lot.

And it convinces me that the issue I had when test driving was that the ASL function was engaged from the previous driver. There are so many features, multiple test drives are required to absorb it all.

As an aside...

I was reading the comments to the video.
One guy referred to the engine cover and jokingly asked "Why are there 2 beverage holders in it?"
The response: "To hold your beers while changing the oil. Theyre really going all out to Americanize it."
Cracked me up.

They don't use transport trailers to move inventory among their 3 locations, so this "new" car just had 300 miles put on it, on top of the 100 miles it had already been driven. If I buy there, it's gonna be factory order. I want a new car, and I want to break it in right (a 300 mile road trip is not a recommended way to do it).

Seems to be very common these days.

+1. You definitely want to be the "first driver".

Should not engage automatically. I've never turned it on in the first place and it has never reengaged by itself.

I obviously don't know for sure, since I am not an owner yet.

This is from the online manual: "When the ignition is switched off, the system status before it was turned off is maintained. For example, if the ignition is switched off while the ASL is operating, the system will be operable when the ignition is switched ON the next time."

http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05281507.html

So if it was left ON the last time you drove the car, it will still be ON the next time you get in...as I understand it. Or in my case, the guy who transported the car did not turn it off, so it is still on for everyone who next drives it, until someone turns it off.

Sort of an "interesting" feature, huh?

Last edited:
I obviously don't know for sure, since I am not an owner yet.

This is from the online manual: "When the ignition is switched off, the system status before it was turned off is maintained. For example, if the ignition is switched off while the ASL is operating, the system will be operable when the ignition is switched ON the next time."

http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05281507.html

So if it was left ON the last time you drove the car, it will still be ON the next time you get in...as I understand it. Or in my case, the guy who transported the car did not turn it off, so it is still on for everyone who next drives it, until someone turns it off.

Sort of an "interesting" feature, huh?

Simple solution - when you start the CX-5 at your next test drive, make sure you turn it off.

Simple solution - when you start the CX-5 at your next test drive, make sure you turn it off.

You got that right. I'll check it at EVERY test drive.

That was not a comfortable feeling. Thanks goodness I was just testing and not in real need...

You got that right. I'll check it at EVERY test drive.

That was not a comfortable feeling. Thanks goodness I was just testing and not in real need...

Seems over here the dealers are a less strict - both times I went for a test drive, no salesman came with me so I could test it how I wanted to.

We have a winner..but honestly the 2.5 is perfectly adequate for the most part. Hilly terrain with ac kickin and some added weight it could definitely use more..chasis is definitely worthy of it..I found myself avoidin a rare pod of young bucks hanging out the other night gonna cap one eventually I'm sure

Back