The unreliable Mazda ?

Neither the CX5 nor the RAV4 are anything anyone in their right mind is going to claim is "a driving machine". The RAV will simply get me from my house in Missouri to San Antonio on 1 tank of gas, and stomp a CX5 at a redlight, and looks like an SUV instead of a girls first college car. Those things are a "win".
You don't like the looks, a ton of things, its not 'manly' for you than why did you buy it. Its like little GI Joe loving Jack buying a Barbie special edition set with hair dryer included.

You don't like the looks, a ton of things, its not 'manly' for you than why did you buy it. Its like little GI Joe loving Jack buying a Barbie special edition set with hair dryer included.

Told you that when I bought it. It was a smart financial move, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I got premium for a bad Jeep with nearly 100K miles, and the CX5 gets 8mpg more, and takes reg vs. mid. It's saved me a ton in the 3 years I've had it. It is a good tool and was a stepping stone to a Toyota.

Wait for the 2019 RAV4 to absolutely pummel it in every measurable category from 0-60 to fuel economy to having a real AWD system that can sent torque to individual wheels. Went by the 'Yota dealership, and screw this Mazda. I'm done. s*** resale. s*** infotainment. s*** brand image. Looks I always just put up with to get decent economy on 87 with AWD and decent reliability. Meh. I just can't do it anymore. As soon as the CPO 2019's hit the used lot...it's ova for the CX5 in my case. Mazda has a good service dept, and that means a lot to me, but not enough to keep this thing. The Toyota will actually pay for itself in holding value so that it even makes sense financially vs. keep the CX5 just so it can bottom out at $1999.95 in 8 years.

At least you have a good service department. My dealer is awful, in fact they told me I cant even come in for 3 weeks because they are backed up with recalls and repairs! Had to drop mine off at an Indy yesterday to replace leaking struts, seized rear brakes while driving, and a bad vacuum pump. 69,000 money pit and I will try to get as much as I can in a trade. My 4 previous Nissans made it 150,000 miles before any problems occurred, but they lost me with their POS CVT.

At least you have a good service department. My dealer is awful, in fact they told me I cant even come in for 3 weeks because they are backed up with recalls and repairs! Had to drop mine off at an Indy yesterday to replace leaking struts, seized rear brakes while driving, and a bad vacuum pump. 69,000 money pit and I will try to get as much as I can in a trade. My 4 previous Nissans made it 150,000 miles before any problems occurred, but they lost me with their POS CVT.
So you have leaking front struts, not the creaking noise? What kind of symptom do you have for "sized" rear brakes? Does it virtually slow your CX-5 down or just the noise? Lastly, which "vacuum pump" failed in your CX-5?

Hope all the fixes won't cost you too much. And may I suggest you to hold on your CX-5 a little longer so that you can check out the new 2019 RAV4 which features 203/206 hp naturally aspirated 2.5L engine and an 8-speed automatic, with the best fuel economy in the class to boot. Like Unobtanium mentioned, new RAV4 has true off-road capabilities with "Multi-Terrain Select" and a Toyota-first, Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD with rear driveline disconnect.

Comical really, because RAV4 is first on the list for "not manly car" when it comes to CUVs. When I was shopping CUVs man did I get laughed at for even test driving one lol.

New RAV looks exactly like a Subaru.

rav4 has true off-road capabilities with "multi-terrain select"

omg! Multi terrain select!

giphy.gif

:facepalm: To hell with 'Multi Terrain Select". Are you serious right now? Jeep has that. Pass. I shouldn't have to think about what my AWD is doing. Y'know, like a Subaru. Exactly a reason to NOT buy a 'Yota.
'Yota? Really? Do people call them that? Bwahahaha

Last edited:
Like Unobtanium mentioned, new RAV4 has true off-road capabilities with "Multi-Terrain Select" and a Toyota-first, Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD with rear driveline disconnect.

Lol. A CUV offroad? Yeah that's a good one. I consider offroad to be trails up in the mountains you'd take a Jeep on. No CUV, including this would be doing those.

In terms of regular mountain roads and dirt roads and driveways, my CX-5 did just fine. I lived up in a little mountain town at 9k elevation when I bought it. It did just fine. The lack of locking AWD bothered me at first coming from a Jeep, until I hit no situation ever where I needed it with my CX-5. ;)

Lol. A CUV offroad? Yeah that's a good one. I consider offroad to be trails up in the mountains you'd take a Jeep on. No CUV, including this would be doing those.

In terms of regular mountain roads and dirt roads and driveways, my CX-5 did just fine. I lived up in a little mountain town at 9k elevation when I bought it. It did just fine. The lack of locking AWD bothered me at first coming from a Jeep, until I hit no situation ever where I needed it with my CX-5. ;)
I believe the good thing is you can have choices on new RAV4's AWD system. A traditional AWD is available in lower trims.

I believe the good thing is you can have choices on new RAV4's AWD system. A traditional AWD is available in lower trims.
Yeah but it's more of a choice on paper and marketing than a choice that makes any difference.

If you are taking your CUV on mountain trails where jacked up Jeeps are, sorry you bought the wrong car. Simply having a locking AWD does not make a CUV an off road vehicle suddenly. It's still a CUV at the end of the day.

Perhaps you and I share different definitions of "off road".

Last edited:
Right now, I just went to KBB and calculated trade-in value. If I had a RAV4 XLE 2015 AWD with 82K miles instead of a CX5 Touring 2015 AWD, I would be looking at 12,600-14,100 in trade-in value. But I don't. I am looking at $9,400-$11,000. So, basically, $3000.

Huh? I just went to KBB, calculated at "Good" condition for my 2014 Touring AWD (no packages by the way) and I got a trade in range of $10,794 - $12,347. Middle at $11,571. Private party value still at $13,440 - $15,365. Middle at $14,403. (uhm)

I'd like something dependable, aesthetically pleasing, capable, etc. and if it lasts 400K miles, that's awesome, too!

So what the hell difference does trade in value make for a vehicle you would keep to 400k miles? If the only reason you didn't like the CX-5 is trade in value, yet you say you want to keep cars to 400k, something is amiss in your reasoning. Obviously you don't like it for other reasons you've mentioned, but still.

I hope you find a car that makes you happy. I know my CX-5 makes me happy. :)

Last edited:
That actually is a big improvement for RAV4 ⋯ (boom07)

That new RAV4 is going to take a massive dump on everything else in the market, especially the CX-5 IMO. It's got a much more aggressive look than anything else on the market, 200+ HP(more than anyone else), better AWD system, better tranmission tha anyone else, likely improved fuel economy and it's a Toyota as well. Pretty tough combination to beat IMO...

That new RAV4 is going to take a massive dump on everything else in the market, especially the CX-5 IMO. It's got a much more aggressive look than anything else on the market, 200+ HP(more than anyone else), better AWD system, better tranmission tha anyone else, likely improved fuel economy and it's a Toyota as well. Pretty tough combination to beat IMO...

Ok Mango.

That new RAV4 is going to take a massive dump on everything else in the market, especially the CX-5 IMO.

Personally, I think Honda has the bigger worry than Mazda.
The CR-V is gonna look like junk next to this new RAV.
Honda also has the oil dilution issue with the 1.5l turbo to deal with. Buh bye Honda.

Agree Buzzman.
Disagree that it's more Agressive looking. Most aggressive looking CUV's are easily IMO the modern CX-5 and Jag's F-Pace.

Mom has an f pace. s*** is pretty sweet. Haven't driven it yet though, dad won't let me. But it's also a bigger car. I was hoping she'd get a mecan so I could try and buy it in a few years lol

Trade in values should also be compared to what the vehicle cost to begin with. Toyota’s are more expensive up front, especially the higher trims. So your “difference “means very little Uno.

Back