Gas Mileage on new cx 5

What kind of fuel economy gains do you get from the moly?
I got moly at 12 k miles. Through this brutal winter my worst tank was 26 when I drove smaller trips. It has stayed similar to my summer mpg. So from my experience its about 1 to 1.5 mpg.
Moly oil is respected across brands. Its not easy to find unless the dealership stocks it. Else its eBay.

I got moly at 12 k miles. Through this brutal winter my worst tank was 26 when I drove smaller trips. It has stayed similar to my summer mpg. So from my experience its about 1 to 1.5 mpg.
Moly oil is respected across brands. Its not easy to find unless the dealership stocks it. Else its eBay.

Most oils have moly as an additive in them. The numbers may seem small but that is likely because they use a different form of moly which requires less to achieve the result of older forms.

I switched from Mobil 1 AFE to Pennzoil Platinum and over the last 70ish miles, I've averaged 30mpg. I don't want to say switching from the M1 AFE to PP has given me several mpg, but that's kindof what it looks like to me, unless it's my tires being at the wear bars and the tread-blocks flexing less as they are shorter and I have somehow magically crossed some threshold level right as my last oil change was done. I didn't even have the tires rotated as usual because I'm trashing them in a week or so (weather is nice, now, for the 10 day, so I'm hanging on for the last few hundred miles, lol!)

I paid hyper attention to my MPG yesterday.
Start car, pull to edge of parking lot and wait for an opening. MPG reads: 3. Pull out, go maybe 3 blocks, stop at light: 7. Next light about a half mile stopped at light: 11. Sat through light change: went to 12.4. Sat at this light so long it dropped down to 11.5 before I could pull out. Get on freeway: 15 > 17 > 20> 24> 26 > exit freeway. Stopped checking because got into bumper to bumper traffic at this point.

There's simply no way you are going to get GREAT MPG on a 15 mile mixed commute.

Still getting about 22.5 mpg. Car has 750 miles. I do believe, it should be doing much better. Maybe time for them to give it a look.

Still getting about 22.5 mpg. Car has 750 miles. I do believe, it should be doing much better. Maybe time for them to give it a look.

You're barely broken in. You'll be wasting your time at the dealer. That's not necessarily abnormal depending on what kind of driving you do, and how you do it.

You're barely broken in. You'll be wasting your time at the dealer. That's not necessarily abnormal depending on what kind of driving you do, and how you do it.

Totally agree with you.

Completely normal MPG for a winter city traffic stop and go commuter.

You can bring back to the dealer, but will be wasting your time, your all important gas, and the service advisors time.

Here is a graph that shows the testing schedule for the EPA's MPG testing drive cycle for CITY.

uddsdds.gif

More charts to be found here...
https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-fuel-emissions-testing/dynamometer-drive-schedules

Last edited:
I use adaptive Cruise most of the time. On highway with cruise at 74, I got 34 MPG and around town I avg 29 MPG. I have 2500 miles on it. I have heard that the cylinder deactivation turns on the most on Cruise because of steady speed (Not sure how true this is though). I have trip B set from the day I drove off the lot at 17 miles and it is 29.4 MPG. I'm very pleased. I also live in a flat state....FL.

I use adaptive Cruise most of the time. On highway with cruise at 74, I got 34 MPG and around town I avg 29 MPG. I have 2500 miles on it. I have heard that the cylinder deactivation turns on the most on Cruise because of steady speed (Not sure how true this is though). I have trip B set from the day I drove off the lot at 17 miles and it is 29.4 MPG. I'm very pleased. I also live in a flat state....FL.

And you also live close to sea level, which makes a difference, too.
But DAMN, that is good mileage!!

Also just got a 2018 CX5 - still on the first tank of gas. From prior experience:

1) It's not broken in yet - give it 1000mi before getting serious about tracking mpg

2) Winter gas mix - you'll see improvement in warmer months

3) Use the cruise at highway speeds when traffic permits

4) Most importantly, drive gently

Also just got a 2018 CX5 - still on the first tank of gas. From prior experience:

1) It's not broken in yet - give it 1000mi before getting serious about tracking mpg

2) Winter gas mix - you'll see improvement in warmer months

3) Use the cruise at highway speeds when traffic permits

4) Most importantly, drive gently

This 👆

Another new owner here with around 450 miles so far. Also averaging around a measly 21.5 mpg with mixed city/highway on flat land. But I've yet to ever reset the counter either (haven't gotten so far as to look up the procedure, let alone doing that Navigation/counter combo thing a couple posters made reference to).

Another new owner here with around 450 miles so far. Also averaging around a measly 21.5 mpg with mixed city/highway on flat land. But I've yet to ever reset the counter either (haven't gotten so far as to look up the procedure, let alone doing that Navigation/counter combo thing a couple posters made reference to).

Click reset everytime you refill. After I purchased mine, we sat there idle in the parking lot while the salesman showed me all the settings with the infotainment system. when I took off is when I set trip B and haven't rest that one. I do reset trip A at every gas refill. Trip B is at 29.4 for 2600 miles. But as stated earlier I live in Florida. Very flat.

I've got about 1500 miles on my 2018 now. My daily commute is 23 miles, with 15 miles being 2 and 4 lane roads travelling from 40-55 mph and about 5 lights. The remaining 8 miles are freeway at usually 60-70 mph. I'm getting 30-32 mpg pretty consistently and I'm very happy with that after driving a vehicle for 13 years that was getting 18-20 MPG. I'm in central Indiana which is also very flat.

Click reset everytime you refill. ..

This morning I did the reset on "B". Just intuitively guessed that holding down the center button would clear the existing counter. So I'll utilize that feature more frequently now and see how my mpg figure changes over the course of the next few months.

This morning I did the reset on "B". Just intuitively guessed that holding down the center button would clear the existing counter. So I'll utilize that feature more frequently now and see how my mpg figure changes over the course of the next few months.

Yes but did you reset your AVG MPG so that it displayed "----"

Back