Indicated MPG vs. Real MPG

OK then just push the gas pedal down more- I really don't get the point. Living with both a car with paddles (and a sport mode i never use) and one without they're both electronic manual shift modes- paddles are nice to have and I use them though not exclusively on bmw but they work the same way (not any faster) just a little more convenient to operate.

It is not the same and you obviously don't understand. It makes a different in how the car drives. I suggest you go drive one if you want to understand where I am coming from.

Really- how so other than equal throttle results in more output? and shift points that I'd rather control myself..?

Have and its pretty much same as every other 'sport' mode in that its basically bs smoke in mirrors to make you think you're driving a faster vehicle..now if it sharpened the steering, lowered the vehicle and/or stiffened the bushings thereby making the vehicle truly sportier I'd be interested...otherwise I'm generally a seller. Nice progressive easy to modulate throttle and braking is what I'm into. Related note my wife thought (at first)the 86's brakes sucked (it had the upgrade) and I drove it first so I knew exactly what she was saying- I said they just have less boost and that's 100% on purpose so if you really want them to stop you just need to mean it! This, like looks are both subjective and relative- her highlander brakes are good but quite sensitive- she likes that, I don't.

Last edited:
Have and its pretty much same as every other 'sport' mode in that its basically bs smoke in mirrors to make you think you're driving a faster vehicle..now if it sharpened the steering, lowered the vehicle and/or stiffened the bushings I'd be interested...otherwise I'm generally a seller. Nice progressive easy to modulate throttle and braking is what I'm into. Related note my wife thought (at first)the 86's brakes sucked (it had the upgrade) and I drove it first so I knew exactly what she was saying- I said they just have less boost and that's 100% on purpose so if you really want them to stop you just need to mean it! This, like looks are both subjective and relative- her highlander brakes are good but quite sensitive- she likes that, I don't.

Honestly, I agree 100% with Monterra. I read over these messages several times trying to figure out what the fuss is about.

The modifications done to the 2016+ models is PURELY a tweak with shift points which in turn increases throttle response. The original pre-2016 models had extremely conservative shift points designed to upshift aggressively and save as much fuel whenever possible and this genuinely does make the car feel sluggish when youre trying to rev past 4000rpm and the car physically forces you into the next gear. All Mazda had to do was tweak the transmission tuning and everyone loses their s***... they think they are in a new car when in reality the only difference is some tweaks with the tuning. I agree with Monterra that this by itself is nothing worth writing home about. The sport mode should do more than just change some shift points for it to even be worth mentioning.

honestly, I cant stand the auto mode in my 2015 Mazda 6. I exclusively use manual mode when driving that car now ( no sport mode) and I havent looked back.

Oh and Monterra, I see you have a newer BMW with the electric steering. If youre unhappy with your bmws steering response, some stiffer suspension goes a long way with improving that. Luckily your X1 is RWD so Bilstein is a very effective option.

^^Thanks but the leased orangitan goes back in 8mo.- 99% not going to buy it out which is why we were test driving the 86..I'd rather the BRZ but none around- Giula & G70 are my roomier rwd considerations- those would be lease- twin would be a buy most likely but it is small.

Last edited:
Have and its pretty much same as every other 'sport' mode in that its basically bs smoke in mirrors to make you think you're driving a faster vehicle..

The Sport Mode indicator light engages the butt dyno and stiffens my butt cheeks. Pure science man.

I tried both the sports mode and just manual mode on a familiar stretch of road that includes a half mile of over 10% grade. Not only is the hill steep but it has curves, one of them a bit tight. Two lane road all the way.

I much prefer manual mode over sports mode. I can Time the shifts by sound which I prefer.

ive had my 2018 CX-5 for about 2-2.5 weeks now and have about 700 miles on it, went through the gas the dealer put it and then decided to use Fuelly to track my fill ups for a while. My first tank i tracked Fuelly said 23.2MPG while my dash said 26.2. that's a pretty significant difference in measurements. I plan to keep measuring for a while and hopefully it will improve once i get through a break in period and an oil change or two this has also been with seat heaters and heated steering wheel on almost 100% of the time, and it also has been below freezing much of this time

ive had my 2018 CX-5 for about 2-2.5 weeks now and have about 700 miles on it, went through the gas the dealer put it and then decided to use Fuelly to track my fill ups for a while. My first tank i tracked Fuelly said 23.2MPG while my dash said 26.2. that's a pretty significant difference in measurements. I plan to keep measuring for a while and hopefully it will improve once i get through a break in period and an oil change or two this has also been with seat heaters and heated steering wheel on almost 100% of the time, and it also has been below freezing much of this time

thats pretty good fuel economy for cold weather and using ethanol blended 87 octane fuel.

what sort of driving do you do? I am assuming city highway mix, more so on the city side?

If you try the straight calculation of miles driven divided by gallons you might find that the on board system is pretty close. Many owners have reported even better mileage after several thousand miles. In my case the two are less that 0.5 mpg apart.

thats pretty good fuel economy for cold weather and using ethanol blended 87 octane fuel.

what sort of driving do you do? I am assuming city highway mix, more so on the city side?

yeah its a pretty solid mix of city & highway. i wouldnt go much more than 50/50, possibly 60/40 - lean towards city depending on the week. its about what its rated at for that mix so its definitely fine, just would be nice for the dash and my calcs to match up closer i guess

After 137 fill ups on my 2015 CX-5 2wd Touring, my dash average is at an average of 28.56. My figured by the pump number is 28.40. To my mind, the difference is negligible.

After 137 fill ups on my 2015 CX-5 2wd Touring, my dash average is at an average of 28.56. My figured by the pump number is 28.40. To my mind, the difference is negligible.

Now THAT is what we call DATA! Thank you.
(bow)

Back